Thieves prey on 2 foreigners; British shot

Alan S

We Brits (most of us) dont react well to guns.

It is not unusual to see newspaper reports of Brits in the US, (usually holidaying in Florida) getting shot because someone threatened them with a gun, which annoyed them rather than making them submit.

As for,

protecting oneself,AT ALL TIMES,AT ALL COSTS and BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY

I do hope you mean, "by any LEGAL means", which, I am sure you are aware, doesnt include you having a gun.

• Like 4
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT

Hell Robert...you're leaving as fast as you can anyway. If you had buyers for your properties, you would be on the next plane out. I hope you don't ever get mugged in Phoenix and try to fight back. Th

We Brits (most of us) dont react well to guns. It is not unusual to see newspaper reports of Brits in the US, (usually holidaying in Florida) getting shot because someone threatened them with a gun,

Posted Images

It is frustrating that the NRA is right. When guns are illegal then only criminals have guns.

I don't like or encourage the idea of civilians arming themselves but if criminals are going to shoot you whether you are armed or not, and the authorities have neither the will nor means to stop them, then what choices do you have: 1 Use your fists in a gun fight. 2. Don't go out at night. 3. Have some means of defense (bodyguard, weapon etc) 4. Give up and let them take your stuff.

Which option works for you? Should we have a poll? Are there any other options?

Is there an observable difference in the rate of armed robberies between countries that permit citizens to carry weapons and those that do not? If so, perhaps allowing everyone to be armed could be a solution. If not, it doesn't work.

Is there an observable difference in the rate of armed robberies between countries that permit citizens to carry weapons and those that do not? If so, perhaps allowing everyone to be armed could be a solution. If not, it doesn't work.

Probably not in the rate of robberies itself but I am sure it affects the rate of SUCCESSFUL robbery attempts somewhat. :shots:

Stranded Shipscook

BRING BACK THE VIGILANTES IN CEBU CITY.

I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR THE WEAPONS AND BULLETS NECESSARY FOR THEM TO OPERATE.

Need gas money too? Can do!

Damned good show, Joe Ryan! Cheers to you, mate!

If they try to rob you, put 'em in the ground, people!

Could it be, that those culprits were 'jobless" vigilantes ? just thinking...

And i strongly assume, that poor Joe Ryan doesn't feel very good about himself right now, inspite of this encouragement.

I must admit, that i fought of one robber armed with a knife in 1987 in Manila in a backstreet which i used as shortcut, but this was a mere reflex and i still think about it a lot. Next time i rather give the guy my wallet. i am not trained enough to do this.

And a person armed with a pistol, come on... that too much. i rather loose the cash and change my underwear.

Not a good advise, mate...

Edited by CATMAN
  • Like 2
Stranded Shipscook

Ian,

I give in this country. I give almost every day here. I do a lot of things that are not regularly discussed on this site. I help and help, and help others. I do it, because I feel it is the right thing to do. But, I will NOT, EVER let anyone simply just take what I have from me. I am willing to die for what I have. The question is, are THEY WILLING TO DIE in order to take it?

You should know that, the only reason someone will pull a weapon on you, is because they are scared of that weapon. They believe you are too. I, however, am not.

If they wish to attempt to rob me, it would be best for them to simply go on down the line...

Now, you and I, obviously, see two different views on this topic. So, let's stop while we are ahead, please.

this is a nice point, specially the being scared of a weapon thing. Correct.

On the other i personally can not agree, but then look at me and look at you. You don't need a Weapon. I would always feel safe around you because people like you don't get robbed often. At least here.

Then again. its a very personal decision and one has to make it for himself. Former and not too long ago serviceman certainly can make this choice better than a Cook like me. ( Although if i had my knifes with me... :shots: )

Stranded Shipscook

i think its simple snatch and grab the surprise is the foreigner was young enough to chace them while most of us would need to take a few min. to stand up first... that is why god invented guns so old guys who cant run can just point and click

Most of us would not even understand how to use a laptop at 4am in the morning....and probably have forgotten it somewhere else before. i now make it a habbit to tell the doorman or guards to ask me for my cellphone when i leave a place. half the time i have to go back in again. :shots:

Edited by CATMAN
Stranded Shipscook

It is frustrating that the NRA is right. When guns are illegal then only criminals have guns.

I don't like or encourage the idea of civilians arming themselves but if criminals are going to shoot you whether you are armed or not, and the authorities have neither the will nor means to stop them, then what choices do you have: 1 Use your fists in a gun fight. 2. Don't go out at night. 3. Have some means of defense (bodyguard, weapon etc) 4. Give up and let them take your stuff.

Which option works for you? Should we have a poll? Are there any other options?

Other option- don't bring too many valuable with you at nighttime or actually any time. In the rare case of a robbery, give him the damn wallet with 20 bucks.

The valuables is also to prevent other losses, not necessarily connected with a robbery.

• Like 1
On the other i personally can not agree, but then look at me and look at you. You don't need a Weapon. I would always feel safe around you because people like you don't get robbed often. At least here.

Then again. its a very personal decision and one has to make it for himself. Former and not too long ago serviceman certainly can make this choice better than a Cook like me. ( Although if i had my knifes with me... :biggrin_01: )

There is probably a lot of truth in that statement. When a guy pulled a knife on me, he was the one who ran when I went after him. Of course, he may have thought I was just crazy, too.

Headshot

There is probably a lot of truth in that statement. When a guy pulled a knife on me, he was the one who ran when I went after him. Of course, he may have thought I was just crazy, too.

He was right of course...but we still love you. :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
lazydays

I just hope that everytime we hear of these regular incidents in other parts of the PI, that some people are less quick to judge how Davao City deals with its criminal element.

SkyMan

True but since I am not allowed to carry and theyknow it. Hmmmmmmm

At that time of the morning there is no traffic on the road. A taxi should have no problem keeping up with a scooter loaded with three guys at least until the taxi runs out of propane. But then, what would the taxi do it caught them? I think the hack was pondering the same question and decided to lose them. As it turned out the guy not only lost his laptop but has a big medical bill to go with it. Laptops can be replaced. What could be on the laptop so valuable to risk your life? And why would you take it to a bar for an all-niter? Live (and luckily for him it's still live) and learn.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
SkyMan

Paul, I truly understand your sentiment on a community wide scale where if everyone was to do as you say (and if they were allowed to carry it would work), but on an individual scale I can only say that if you're wrong once it's over, whereas those who say to just give in and let it go can be wrong many many times and still go on. Personally, I'd go after the bastards myself until I saw a gun. But that would be a heat of the moment kind of thing, not premeditated.

As for those of you that disagree with the guy being able to flaunt his wealth or whatever, well sure, you should be able to pass out drunk in any gutter in the world with hundreds of dollars sticking out of your pocket and wake up without losing a dime but that just ain't going to happen. Reasonable precautions have to be taken. If you need to be on the internet at that time of the morning, get a hotel room with internet service. If you have to be in a bar, at least sit well away from the door. Be warry of anyone coming in or around you.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
smokey

Paul, I truly understand your sentiment on a community wide scale where if everyone was to do as you say (and if they were allowed to carry it would work), but on an individual scale I can only say that if you're wrong once it's over, whereas those who say to just give in and let it go can be wrong many many times and still go on. Personally, I'd go after the bastards myself until I saw a gun. But that would be a heat of the moment kind of thing, not premeditated.

As for those of you that disagree with the guy being able to flaunt his wealth or whatever, well sure, you should be able to pass out drunk in any gutter in the world with hundreds of dollars sticking out of your pocket and wake up without losing a dime but that just ain't going to happen. Reasonable precautions have to be taken. If you need to be on the internet at that time of the morning, get a hotel room with internet service. If you have to be in a bar, at least sit well away from the door. Be warry of anyone coming in or around you.

come on are you serious a guy who has a lap top is a guy who is Flaunting his wealth... i have a net book i paid 300 dollars for so if anyone sees my NET book i can expect to be shot for flaunting my wealth? Flaunting your wealth should be say ... you show up in a BMW and you tell your driver to wait over there,,,,or your arm is tired wearing your 10 oz gold wrist band... or you pull out not a wallet but a thick roll of 1,000p bills to pay a tab... that would be flaunting so this guy is guilty of flaunting because he is using a lap top while being white

Edited by smokey
SkyMan

To me, a guy with a laptop is unnoticeable. To a guy who makes 1 or 2 hundred pesos a day, someone with their own laptop (and white skin) is Bill Gates. I'm not defending the thief. I'm just advising people to realize that someone who looks like a dirtbag in the west, looks like they are dripping with money in the RP and they should be warry of that.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
smokey

To me, a guy with a laptop is unnoticeable. To a guy who makes 1 or 2 hundred pesos a day, someone with their own laptop (and white skin) is Bill Gates.

well to me a thief is a thief and will steal anything of value from a white guy to an old grannie... the only good thief is a DEAD thief...and i might even give the guy my little net book as long as he can show me how his making 1 to 200p a day is MY FAULT till then .. this is my lap top there are many like it but this one is mine... steal my lap top and i will not call the police i will not say a word , i promise i will not get mad ,, even yes but mad no and do you think this poor ,,, has to steal person will sell the lap top to feed his 16 children... i dont think so this guy will sell it sure and then go buy some drugs so he can stay awake and find another person with something to steal and it could be a 95 year old crippled women or a young foreiger i am sure it dont matter... so if there is justice in the world some how some way this person will be put down like the animal his is... better dead then red

Edited by smokey