Thieves prey on 2 foreigners; British shot

Headshot

EX-PATS,NOW HEAR THIS!ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE**REPEAT**ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT display valuables. That is rule number one in third-world countries. The guy in the bar wasn't thinking. The result was that he lost his laptop and nearly lost his life. In my opinion, that is NOT smart...nor does it show courage. It shows that he was never thinking that night...from beginning to end. People get too comfortable in their surroundings and let their guard down. Then...bad things happen.

• Like 7
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT

Hell Robert...you're leaving as fast as you can anyway. If you had buyers for your properties, you would be on the next plane out. I hope you don't ever get mugged in Phoenix and try to fight back. Th

We Brits (most of us) dont react well to guns. It is not unusual to see newspaper reports of Brits in the US, (usually holidaying in Florida) getting shot because someone threatened them with a gun,

Posted Images

rfm010

strikes me as a strange incident. a couple of guys walk into a bar just to grab a laptop? and the owner is willing to catch a few bullets just to get it back?

could have been a random robbery combined with the typical shooting of a victime who gives chase but i wonder...

J n J, that was a bit over the top, don't you think?

LOL You mean, in comparison to the one you made about supplying weapons, ammo, and gas to other criminals? I would have to say 'no'.

• Like 1
smokey

strikes me as a strange incident. a couple of guys walk into a bar just to grab a laptop? and the owner is willing to catch a few bullets just to get it back?

could have been a random robbery combined with the typical shooting of a victime who gives chase but i wonder...

i think its simple snatch and grab the surprise is the foreigner was young enough to chace them while most of us would need to take a few min. to stand up first... that is why god invented guns so old guys who cant run can just point and click

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
smokey

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT display valuables. That is rule number one in third-world countries. The guy in the bar wasn't thinking. The result was that he lost his laptop and nearly lost his life. In my opinion, that is NOT smart...nor does it show courage. It shows that he was never thinking that night...from beginning to end. People get too comfortable in their surroundings and let their guard down. Then...bad things happen.

its called youth not everone goes to sleep at 9 pm .... so he is the bad guy and not the low life scum that took HIS property and then shot him for trying to stop them....

• Like 2

J n J, that was a bit over the top, don't you think?

NO,not at all.Ex-pats are targets in the R.P. no matter what they do or how they dress,act.The one guy was sleeping in his house.He should have a dog AND a pistol at the ready.I do not advocate random violence but I do believe in protecting oneself,AT ALL TIMES,AT ALL COSTS and BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Headshot

its called youth not everone goes to sleep at 9 pm .... so he is the bad guy and not the low life scum that took HIS property and then shot him for trying to stop them....

Robert, I didn't say he was bad. I said he wasn't thinking when he took a laptop to a bar late at night. It is very easy to set yourself up for bad things to happen to you. He found a way to do that by taking the laptop to the bar. Then, he found a way to compound his problems after the laptop was stolen. If you don't give bad people an opportunity to steal from you, they won't. Bad guys look for easy targets. Make yourself a hard target, and it's likely they will pass you by. He made himself an easy target...twice.

Edited by Headshot

possibly a number of reasons why he chose to be in a bar at 4.30 am with his laptop... perhaps " free wi-fi " perhaps chatting to someone in a different time-zone, not neccesarily just a young guy " on the piss, and flaunting his wealth ". but definetly should have been more vigilant.

Ian,

I give in this country. I give almost every day here. I do a lot of things that are not regularly discussed on this site. I help and help, and help others. I do it, because I feel it is the right thing to do. But, I will NOT, EVER let anyone simply just take what I have from me. I am willing to die for what I have. The question is, are THEY WILLING TO DIE in order to take it?

You should know that, the only reason someone will pull a weapon on you, is because they are scared of that weapon. They believe you are too. I, however, am not.

If they wish to attempt to rob me, it would be best for them to simply go on down the line...

Paul we need a thumb sucking in the corner award to be given to the most deserving members once a month.. Defend yourself Defend your Family,Defend your goods..Be prepaired at all times..

Now, you and I, obviously, see two different views on this topic. So, let's stop while we are ahead, please.

A_Simple_Man

It is frustrating that the NRA is right. When guns are illegal then only criminals have guns.

I don't like or encourage the idea of civilians arming themselves but if criminals are going to shoot you whether you are armed or not, and the authorities have neither the will nor means to stop them, then what choices do you have: 1 Use your fists in a gun fight. 2. Don't go out at night. 3. Have some means of defense (bodyguard, weapon etc) 4. Give up and let them take your stuff.

Which option works for you? Should we have a poll? Are there any other options?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

you can only retreat so much before you run out of places to stand

• Like 1

You, and many others here, were not living in Cebu when we had the Vigilantes "helping" things along. Ladies could wear their jewelry downtown, while walking down the sidewalk on Colon. People felt safe and, for a change, the criminals felt unsafe - thus they moved along, to other places. Or, if they didn't move along, they got a free ticket to the "other side". People should feel okay to go out anytime and feel safe. They should not have to remain in their homes, in fear to go out at night, because of some possible lowlife robbing and / or shooting them. That, exactly, is why I would love to see the Vigilantes back in Cebu, and would happily help support their cause. Some cultures / countries / places don't need vigilante justice. However, others do.

LOL You mean, in comparison to the one you made about supplying weapons, ammo, and gas to other criminals? I would have to say 'no'.

Not at all. Trust in others is a necessary thing, no matter where you are in the world.

NO,not at all.Ex-pats are targets in the R.P. no matter what they do or how they dress,act.The one guy was sleeping in his house.He should have a dog AND a pistol at the ready.I do not advocate random violence but I do believe in protecting oneself,AT ALL TIMES,AT ALL COSTS and BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Considering we are foreigners in a foreign land, we have to build trust in someone here. I mean, everyone needs people whom they can trust. I know I wouldn't live here if I didn't have anyone whom I could trust.

It is frustrating that the NRA is right. When guns are illegal then only criminals have guns.

I don't like or encourage the idea of civilians arming themselves but if criminals are going to shoot you whether you are armed or not, and the authorities have neither the will nor means to stop them, then what choices do you have: 1 Use your fists in a gun fight. 2. Don't go out at night. 3. Have some means of defense (bodyguard, weapon etc) 4. Give up and let them take your stuff.

Carry a huge dog with you, one that is well trained and is not afraid to attack a robber in order to protect you. Could you imagine seeing a Rottweiler, or two, jumping on that motorcycle with those guys? I would have loved to see that happen! :ROFLMAO:

• Like 3
mahogany

Considering we are foreigners in a foreign land, we have to build trust in someone here. I mean, everyone needs people whom they can trust. I know I wouldn't live here if I didn't have anyone whom I could trust.

I remember telling that to my wife some 15 years ago...and I did decide to trust them: one more time, one last chance - for the reasons you mentioned. As a consequence - well, same old story. During the course of time I grew up, aged and matured so-to-say. And guess what --- I don't trust anyone nowadays: no businessman, no teacher, no beggar, no priest, no girl, no one (in this country). What a shame; they have killed that part in me...

• Like 1
smokey

Robert, I didn't say he was bad. I said he wasn't thinking when he took a laptop to a bar late at night. It is very easy to set yourself up for bad things to happen to you. He found a way to do that by taking the laptop to the bar. Then, he found a way to compound his problems after the laptop was stolen. If you don't give bad people an opportunity to steal from you, they won't. Bad guys look for easy targets. Make yourself a hard target, and it's likely they will pass you by. He made himself an easy target...twice.

so where do you draw the line... dont bring lap top or carry cell phone or wallet strip all jewlery from your person only wear old and worn clothing and for money carry only 5 peso coins but heck enjoy yourself

smokey

dont leave the house and lay out lots of full clips and be ready with bottled water and a porta pottie get ready and bring plently of copies of the END of time