Thieves prey on 2 foreigners; British shot

CEBU, Philippines - Two foreign nationals fall victim to thieves in Cebu City early dawn yesterday.

British National, Joe Ryan, 29, was shot after he chased three thieves who grabbed his laptop inside a bar along Gorordo Avenue at around 4:30 a.m.

Witnesses said Ryan was using his laptop inside the bar with his friend, another foreign national, Omar Sadik, when two unidentified men entered the bar and suddenly grabbed his laptop and immediately fled. Ryan ran after the two assailants who boarded a motorcycle.

However, while chasing the three thieves, one of the assailants reportedly shot him twice, hitting him on his shoulder and stomach. Undeterred, Ryan stood up and tried to reach for his laptop when the motorcycle used by the three assailants bumped him.

Even while wounded, Ryan reportedly boarded a taxi and ordered the driver to follow the fleeing assailants.

Unfortunately, the taxi driver lost sight of the motorcycle-riding-thieves when they turned left towards Escario Street and sped off. Ryan was rushed to Chong Hua Hospital for immediate medical attention.

Elements of the Fuente Police Station immediately conducted hot pursuit operations, but to no avail. Meanwhile, John Holdridge Pope, a 65-year-old Canadian national lost P6, 000 to a thief who entered his residence in Sitio STY Lower Kalunasan, Barangay Kalunasan, Cebu City early dawn yesterday by using a makeshift ladder to reach a window on the second floor of the victim’s residence. The thief reportedly removed two jalousie blades from the window, enough for a man’s body to fit and slip into the house.

While inside, the thief managed to spot six P1, 000 bills on the victim’s trousers which were hanging near the stairs. Pope was asleep & later discovered the theft when he woke up at 8 a.m.

Balls of Steel on the Brit.

Canadian needs a dog.

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT

Hell Robert...you're leaving as fast as you can anyway. If you had buyers for your properties, you would be on the next plane out. I hope you don't ever get mugged in Phoenix and try to fight back. Th

We Brits (most of us) dont react well to guns. It is not unusual to see newspaper reports of Brits in the US, (usually holidaying in Florida) getting shot because someone threatened them with a gun,

Posted Images

Davaoeno

Balls of Steel on the Brit.

Canadian needs a dog.

I think the Brit needs psychiatric treatment ! Those arent balls- those are loose screws !!

at this rate there is no way he is ever going to get to be a pensioner here with a young girl on his arm !! :shitstormretarded:

Edited by davaolife
  • Like 3

I think the Brit needs psychiatric treatment ! Those arent balls- those are loose screws !!

It has been said that there is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. :shitstormretarded:

Without knowing more, it is difficult to ascertain if alcohol was a major contributor to the display of his 'Steelies'. However, 4 a.m. at a bar tends to lean one toward that assumption.

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

That is a very severe and horrific incident ! A very scrupolous robbery with armed assailants. I bet those guys are also belonging to the same group of motorcycle assasins.

Very worrying.

nb- on the balls of steel i'd rather say, the guy was under a severe shock which temporary blurred his senses .

Edited by CATMAN
For Real

Witnesses said Ryan was using his laptop inside the bar with his friend, another foreign national, Omar Sadik, when two unidentified men entered the bar and suddenly grabbed his laptop and immediately fled. Ryan ran after the two assailants who boarded a motorcycle.

The Brit needs a dog too.

"Killer" needs to sit outside the bar and watch over the inept or worse security guard

• Like 1

Anyone who works & travels internationally knows that you can have your life on you laptop. If he hadn't got his files backed up (and so many just dont think about it) & suddenly realised that stuff on it cannot be replaced...............well thinking sensibly can go out the window.

• Like 4

BRING BACK THE VIGILANTES IN CEBU CITY.

I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR THE WEAPONS AND BULLETS NECESSARY FOR THEM TO OPERATE.

Need gas money too? Can do!

Damned good show, Joe Ryan! Cheers to you, mate!

If they try to rob you, put 'em in the ground, people!

Edited by Admin
  • Like 2
Davaoeno

It has been said that there is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. :shitstormretarded:

Without knowing more, it is difficult to ascertain if alcohol was a major contributor to the display of his 'Steelies'. However, 4 a.m. at a bar tends to lean one toward that assumption.

lets see now, its 4 am, its dark outside, you are chasing not one but two guys who are on a motorcycle, you arent armed - but you know for sure that they are, because they have already shot you twice- yes, i can see how one might just possibly be 'brave' LOL

As to him being in severe shock - you would have thought that the first time he got shot would have been enough to get over the shock of seeing his laptop disappear.

I can see many well lubricated guys chasing after someone with their lap top - but surely not after they have already put a bullet in you !!

It has NOTHING to do with WHAT they steal from you. It has EVERYTHING to do with them stealing FROM you in the first place.

This is what you do when someone tries to take control: To those who tried to rob my wife and I...

And the follow up writeup, after I had time to think about what happened: Fear? Nope.

Do not let thieves take control of your life.

• Like 4

EX-PATS,NOW HEAR THIS!ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE**REPEAT**ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!

J n J, that was a bit over the top, don't you think?

Davaoeno

Do not let thieves take control of your life. Which of course might be the opposite of " do not let thieves take your life"

We all have to decide for ourselves if we want to follow Admin's actions and do as he did and tell the guy with the gun " go ahead and shoot me " . This is not the right choice for everyone.

• Like 1

Ian,

I give in this country. I give almost every day here. I do a lot of things that are not regularly discussed on this site. I help and help, and help others. I do it, because I feel it is the right thing to do. But, I will NOT, EVER let anyone simply just take what I have from me. I am willing to die for what I have. The question is, are THEY WILLING TO DIE in order to take it?

You should know that, the only reason someone will pull a weapon on you, is because they are scared of that weapon. They believe you are too. I, however, am not.

If they wish to attempt to rob me, it would be best for them to simply go on down the line...

Now, you and I, obviously, see two different views on this topic. So, let's stop while we are ahead, please.

Edited by Admin
  • Like 2
Davaoeno

Ian,

I give in this country. I give almost every day here. I do a lot of things that are not regularly discussed on this site. I help and help, and help others. I do it, because I feel it is the right thing to do. But, I will NOT, EVER let anyone simply just take what I have from me. I am willing to die for what I have. The question is, are THEY WILLING TO DIE in order to take it?

You should know that, the only reason someone will pull a weapon on you, is because they are scared of that weapon. They believe you are too. I, however, am not.

If they wish to attempt to rob me, it would be best for them to simply go on down the line...

Now, you and I, obviously, see two different views on this topic. So, let's stop while we are ahead, please.

As a closing remark just let me say that i dont think we see 2 different views. I respect your attitude, and that for you it is the right one. It is probably the right one for other people also. All i was saying is that it might not be the right attitude for some others.

smokey

at this rate there is no way he is ever going to get to be a pensioner here with a young girl on his arm !! :ROFLMAO:

yes your right the nerve of him to think he was safe... and the real shocker is he had the nerve to try to stop them.... bad boy ... he needs to be the like the guys in davao who have nija wives to handle their problems...