$235 Mil In Silver Found In WW2 Shipwreck

broden

• Admin (Retired)

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3327281.htm

follow the link for the rest of the story and video

Transcript

ALI MOORE, PRESENTER: The treasure trove of silver worth $235 million has been discovered at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

An American salvage firm found the silver in the wreck of a British cargo ship, which sank off Ireland during World War II.

It's largely a case of finders-keepers, with the company retaining 80 per cent of the treasure.

Europe correspondent Philip Williams reports.

PHILIP WILLIAMS, REPORTER: It looks in perfect condition, but the SS Gairsoppa is a long way down - nearly 5km deep in the North Atlantic, settled on the ocean floor still upright.

The UK cargo ship was sunk by a German U-boat in 1941 as it tried to make for Galway Harbour in Ireland after running short of fuel on the run from Britain to India. Only one of the crew of 85 survived the sinking.

A US-based exploration company, Odyssey Marine, won the contract for salvage rights for what's expected to be the biggest haul of precious metal ever found at sea. The company gets to keep 80 per cent of the 200 tonnes of silver.

• Admin (Retired)

that's why they had all the silver.so they could fill up the tank every couple of miles

funny thing is from what i can gather from one british news paper, the uk gov funded the opperation.

I might be wrong will check the article at work again tomorrow

I rather think the Receiver of Wrecks will have a different view as to how much the American salvage company gets to keep of the treasure. Also the ship's hull and cargo insurers may well have a valid claim.

Mark

Davaoeno

I rather think the Receiver of Wrecks will have a different view as to how much the American salvage company gets to keep of the treasure. Also the ship's hull and cargo insurers may well have a valid claim.

Mark

I would find it hard to believe that a cargo ship could even buy insurance during the war !

• Admin (Retired)

someone's gonna get a lot of money

and there will be more than enough people trying to get a finger in that pie

hell if i lived in Ireland and owned a snorkel i might go for a swim

I smell a new book / movie coming out soon - potentially worth more than the silver. You see the only survivor was a Nazi plant that siphoned off the fuel and bailed out before the first torpedos hit. The U boat captain miscalculated and sunk the treasure ship in too deep of water and the treasure stood for all these years until the sexy grandaughter of the Nazi now living in Argentina gets caught up in trying to locate the treasure trove and is held hostage by some darkworld Jewish defense league types......

The ship was travelling FROM India to Great Britain, and decided to go to Ireland as it was runnng low on fuel.

When it wa sunk it became the property of the UK Govt, and they have licensed the US company to recover whatever they can, which will be shared with the Govt.

I smell a new book / movie coming out soon - potentially worth more than the silver. You see the only survivor was a Nazi plant that siphoned off the fuel and bailed out before the first torpedos hit. The U boat captain miscalculated and sunk the treasure ship in too deep of water and the treasure stood for all these years until the sexy grandaughter of the Nazi now living in Argentina gets caught up in trying to locate the treasure trove and is held hostage by some darkworld Jewish defense league types......

Umm, how do you syphon-off coal exactly - by eating it? :biggrin_01:

Umm, how do you syphon-off coal exactly - by eating it? :biggrin_01:

Oh Mark the Devil's in the details.

tom_shor

Umm, how do you syphon-off coal exactly - by eating it? :rofl:

Every day he filled his pockets from the bunkers and dumped it over the side. :biggrin_01:

Davaoeno

Every day he filled his pockets from the bunkers and dumped it over the side. :biggrin_01:

they used the same method in The Great Escape !