Sign in to follow this  
Bukwali

Solar soda (coke) bottle lighting - Day time light for dark area's

Bukwali

Thought this was a clever idea, ideal for pig or livestock houses that need extra daylight, even some provincial dirty kitchens or rooms without windows, its cheap seems effective and is easy to construct

http://www.developme...l-me-solar-demi

John

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 5

thebob

Awesome, I'm going to make some of these.

SkyMan

Dang. I'm going to put one in our outhouse for sure.

• Like 1

Easyrider

I haven't seen any large plastic bottles here. Remember the Philippines is 50 or 60 years behind most countries so they are still using glass bottles.

Kahuna

Extremely Clever idea!!

UZI

I haven't seen any large plastic bottles here. Remember the Philippines is 50 or 60 years behind most countries so they are still using glass bottles.

WHAT...... :rofl:

Bukwali

There are plenty of plastic bottles in Cebu, even disregarding the thin plastic drinking water bottles, there are still so many others, coke, Pepsi, Miranda. mountain dew, sprite,seven up, Royal are just a few of the larger 1.5 and 2ltr bottles, just recently saw a plastic soft drink 3ltr plastic bottle.......... I guess regarding a light source the weight of the bottle when filled with water has to be considered or use a more secure method for holding the bottle within the GI Sheet, perhaps a cradle or strap could be used to support the weight of a 3 ltr bottle and then fix the bottle closer to a purlin.

CardiacKid

We installed one of these in a storage area. Works well on a sunny day. Used a 1.5 liter Coke bottle. It was originally developed by students at a US university, I believe MIT, as a project for South America. It was shown on ABS-CBN several months ago.

Baywak

I am very actively living in davao,don't live at LINC,did'nt see the post on this as you say a few days ago.Thanks for taking the time to notify me though. :biggrin_01:

Paul

Now, this is a pretty neat concept.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SBWi3NtND68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul

Come by my apartment sometime. I have tons of them that I am always giving away to Manang, at the sari-sari store on our compound.

UZI

This was on BBC World yesterday too.

Easyrider

There are plenty of plastic bottles in Cebu, even disregarding the thin plastic drinking water bottles, there are still so many others, coke, Pepsi, Miranda. mountain dew, sprite,seven up, Royal are just a few of the larger 1.5 and 2ltr bottles, just recently saw a plastic soft drink 3ltr plastic bottle.......... I guess regarding a light source the weight of the bottle when filled with water has to be considered or use a more secure method for holding the bottle within the GI Sheet, perhaps a cradle or strap could be used to support the weight of a 3 ltr bottle and then fix the bottle closer to a purlin.

Edited by Easyrider

Easyrider

Yeah, you're right, Cebu does have plastic bottles now. I was thinking about the small village in Mindanao where my ex-wife is from. All drinks were in glass bottles there.

Solar lightening has been around for a very long time, mainly from clear or white colored glass or plastic panels installed in the roof, so the only thing new is the material used. Sounds like it would work good with water leaks being the main problem.