• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JLG

• fred42

• Daisy

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

and that's a problem with the retailers. the retail industry is closed to foreign competition and the local industry is monopoloized by an oligarchy. The best thing that could happen to retail prices would be allowing Walmart, Tesco Lotus or Carrefour make a move into the market. I'm sure the existing companies would get hurt, but guess what? Thewy have been good stewards of their monopoly and they deserve to lose it. Someone could easily make the case with a comparison of retail prices at other ASEAN markets.

And I was about to believe that I am the only one aside from my Filipino friends who is affected by the peso dollar rate... :cry:

I don't think the businessmen who control the retail market will allow Walmart, et al to came in... :)

And we all know how powerful they are here... :lol:

Edited by Daisy
and that's a problem with the retailers. the retail industry is closed to foreign competition and the local industry is monopoloized by an oligarchy. The best thing that could happen to retail prices would be allowing Walmart, Tesco Lotus or Carrefour make a move into the market. I'm sure the existing companies would get hurt, but guess what? Thewy have been good stewards of their monopoly and they deserve to lose it. Someone could easily make the case with a comparison of retail prices at other ASEAN markets.

To Add some proof to your statement, SM opened a store, FREELY I MIGHT ADD, no need for a local partner. In the USA.

I asked my Asawa , if she would like to go, and shop, "thinking I can get some bonus points out of this" her reply, "who whats to shop at the crappy store, I want to go to K-mart, walmart, home depot, duty free." It took me about ten minutes to rein in my uncontrolled laughter. So as we drove by I tried again , she agreed, this was Friday night, both a local and federal government pay day, all places were packed, except SM, I counted 10, and I think two were staff. you could hear a pin drop, Welcome to real competition SM!!! actually it's a great laundering facility, if you know what I mean.

Philippines is not a democracy, and they don't want to change, the haves, want to control the have nots, so they can have slave labor to wash their dirty cloths, rub their filthy bodies, deliver the coffee, drive them around, and screw them.

Slave labor human trafficking PI's #1 export, But if history has something to say, today's servants or tomorrows leaders, by tomorrow I mean next century.

Back to the PISO, yes its artificial! I am using that to my advantage!

Edited by JLG
Hmm..such a strong statement...please try to read more and experience for yourself how majority of us Filipinos live and I am pretty sure your view will change...so typical! My husband is like you too, 5 years ago...after living here, his belief turned 360 degrees. The Php Peso just responsed to the weakening US dollar. But in the real household income, it is like this...

US$ 1 = Php 55, 11 kilos of LPG gas is 300 pesos and 1 kilo of cooking oil is 35

US$ 1 = Php 45 11 kilos of LPG gas is 565 pesos and 1 kilo of cooking oil is 60

If this is supposed to be a period where every Filipino should sacrifice for the sake of economic recovery then I AM for it 101 percent

But if it just for the sake of all those corrupt and greedy politicians, then, thank God I am married to an American and I am a lot more tackful, otherwise I will be producing lot of NPAs! GOD Help me! :lol:

Haven't a clue what you're talking about? You think erap is an upstanding good Pinoy? nothing more than a common CONVICTED criminal. as far as arroy, there's honor among thieves I guess. I will no longer capital their names, they don't deserve my respect, LOL.

I have be coming and going into the Philippines for over 20 years, not as much as others, do I need more experience?

I see some amazing people here, most can care less what happens in manila, I assisted a doctor this weekend to travel way up into the mountains of antique, we gave vaccinations to young children, and I brought along as many packages of m&m's my pack would carry. both the doctor nurses and myself did this out if the kindness of our hearts, this should have been done by the government, except the make one of their friends richer by allowing him sell p250,000 computers to schools that are worth p30,000.

Haven't a clue what you're talking about? You think erap is an upstanding good Pinoy? nothing more than a common CONVICTED criminal. as far as arroy, there's honor among thieves I guess. I will no longer capital their names, they don't deserve my respect, LOL.I have be coming and going into the Philippines for over 20 years, not as much as others, do I need more experience? I see some amazing people here, most can care less what happens in manila, I assisted a doctor this weekend to travel way up into the mountains of antique, we gave vaccinations to young children, and I brought along as many packages of m&m's my pack would carry. both the doctor nurses and myself did this out if the kindness of our hearts, this should have been done by the government, except the make one of their friends richer by allowing him sell p250,000 computers to schools that are worth p30,000.

Of course not! Everybody enter politics carrying their own vested interests! My point is, it can't be pointed only to one or two men...it's a shame claiming the peso is up because of more stronger economy...why would they not say, it is up because dollar went down..even in such simple logic we filipinos are blinded!!!Anyway I salute you for your undertakings with some of the amazing Filipinos, there are lots of YOU all over the world...contributing for the betterment of the filipinos.... (Poverty, corruption and competitiveness) http://manilatimes.net/national/2007/nov/1...071114opi3.html

Edited by Daisy

I agree 100%. And you forgot about the CEOs getting lavish compensation packages and golden parachutes at the expense of the shareholders.

The problem is that the US populous will not take to the streets anytime soon. When voter turnout is 30-40%, they would never expel the energy to protest. BUT, when, and I do mean when not if, the US economy reaches lows that will rock the foundation of the entire country. The beginning of the US hitting bottom is at hand. Defaults on home mortgages are at up tremendously and prices are rising at a staggering rate. The days of reckoning will happen!!

Edited by Bob Ward

Google is an amazing thing, you can do some real imaginative investigation search,

For example I see where several major government central banks reacting to the nose dive of the dollar, Ii am short on time here as I'm in the business centre of the Marriott in Cebu.

Business around the world are largely held and invested by the dollar, the are lobbying central banks to act , I see several testing that waters now , so expect to see a bounce from their efforts, and take advantage of it. with my experience if you don't see a controled combined effort, it will fail , but will bounce the dollar, and drop even further, I still expect the dollar to peso rebound after the Christmas inflow.

I will take a controlled combine effort of the pound, euro,yan, yen, to due this and I think it will come into next year as the Republican call in favours.

Again just my thoughts.

smokey
Google is an amazing thing, you can do some real imaginative investigation search,

For example I see where several major government central banks reacting to the nose dive of the dollar, Ii am short on time here as I'm in the business centre of the Marriott in Cebu.

Business around the world are largely held and invested by the dollar, the are lobbying central banks to act , I see several testing that waters now , so expect to see a bounce from their efforts, and take advantage of it. with my experience if you don't see a controled combined effort, it will fail , but will bounce the dollar, and drop even further, I still expect the dollar to peso rebound after the Christmas inflow.

I will take a controlled combine effort of the pound, euro,yan, yen, to due this and I think it will come into next year as the Republican call in favours.

Again just my thoughts.

i see so much bull Shi? in the papers here .... if you beleived 10% of what you read here the PI is poised to be a super power any day now... everything is worded so and so is eyeing a major investment in the PI ... profits up 90% OFW send 12%more this year ( worth 20% Less ) but they forget to say that.... Exports way up... exports or what?? Rattan chairs?? .... the news is all government hype to keep the peso strong till every penny that can be borrowed is borrowed and let the next president come in and figure out what to do... Cebu is booming ... Gee the SRP is taking longer then the airport to build.. i have never seen a SMALL project like that eat up so much time... Now isnt the SRP been ready to receive offers for a few YEARS NOW but cebu is booming .... ha ha ha in sales this is called.....SMOKE AND MIRRORS...

heheheeh, I always thought the papers here were the Sunday comics, 7 days a week, cover to cover, or one big entertainment section. I take it everyone survived the brown out, the story I heard was cable between Leyte and Cebu?

• 2 weeks later...
Exports way up... exports or what?? Rattan chairs??

Natural recourses? Nikel,gold,copper etc?..

If you count these as exports then that may contribute towards the figures.

It seems the Chinese and Aussi`s are taking everything that the miners here can produce..

Edited by fred42
The dollar

Interesting youtube clip.. Commodities and Swiss franks are the way to go according to this guy.