The Dollar

I can feel the strain from Expats relying on a fixed income concerned by the continued strengthening of the peso and other foreign currencies,

I am not retired nor live full time in the Philippines, so its effect isn't as scary to me as those relying on a fixed income, and at the mercy of the exchange rate,

I firmly believe that dollar will in 2008 rear its mighty strength , you have several factors that will especially effect the Peso in general, let alone other currencies,

What I am getting at, this is mostly a speculation, markrt, and political driven itinerary, lets not forget 2008 is an election year in the USA, this is the foremost reason the dollar will climb a mountain once again, check election year history.

why is the peso at risk, hmmmmm lets first start with the unforgettable pardon of a inexcusable convicted thief, Erap. Arroyo might have save her arse behind her own political doors, but she has a big black eye in the world financial and political society. A dark day again in the history of the Philippines AGAIN, and to think I backed her for certain reasons, I always knew she was barely holding on to her presidency, but a move like this , I had no idea it was so grave.

sure the peso will hold through the holidays and see reprieve into 2008, the majority of the Filipino people are the most generous caring people I have known, this is why I really love the Philippines, The bsp isn't doing all it can knowing the outcome. The oil prices have more effect on the rest of the world than the USA

I also think we will see 140 in the euro before we ever see 155. The correction that was needed has been enforced , more ripple effect and people who cant see the call will still offer panic buys.

there is a lot of money being made right now, by people larger than me, so I am not among the privy.

but money can be made to make up Short fall if well thought out, I am testing the waters on a few. Right now you need to be making pesos!

Several things can blow everything apart, IE IRAN, lol next on our list. a lot of games are being played out. with every country we invade oil doubles, then retreats, we have just been invading alot, I am talking the UN here, not the USA, we just handle the lions share of the s***, I served in the first gulf, so I can talk. I still regret stopping short in the desert the first time, that's politicians again screwing up a good thing.

these are just my thoughts,

Edited by JLG
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JLG

• Daisy

• fred42

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

smokey
I can feel the strain from Expats relying on a fixed income concerned by the continued strengthening of the peso and other foreign currencies,

I am not retired nor live full time in the Philippines, so its effect isn't as scary to me as those relying on a fixed income, and at the mercy of the exchange rate,

I firmly believe that dollar will in 2008 rear its mighty strength , you have several factors that will especially effect the Peso in general, let alone other currencies,

What I am getting at, this is mostly a speculation, markrt, and political driven itinerary, lets not forget 2008 is an election year in the USA, this is the foremost reason the dollar will climb a mountain once again, check election year history.

why is the peso at risk, hmmmmm lets first start with the unforgettable pardon of a inexcusable convicted thief, Erap. Arroyo might have save her arse behind her own political doors, but she has a big black eye in the world financial and political society. A dark day again in the history of the Philippines AGAIN, and to think I backed her for certain reasons, I always knew she was barely holding on to her presidency, but a move like this , I had no idea it was so grave.

sure the peso will hold through the holidays and see reprieve into 2008, the majority of the Filipino people are the most generous caring people I have known, this is why I really love the Philippines, The bsp isn't doing all it can knowing the outcome. The oil prices have more effect on the rest of the world than the USA

I also think we will see 140 in the euro before we ever see 155. The correction that was needed has been enforced , more ripple effect and people who cant see the call will still offer panic buys.

there is a lot of money being made right now, by people larger than me, so I am not among the privy.

but money can be made to make up Short fall if well thought out, I am testing the waters on a few. Right now you need to be making pesos!

Several things can blow everything apart, IE IRAN, lol next on our list. a lot of games are being played out. with every country we invade oil doubles, then retreats, we have just been invading alot, I am talking the UN here, not the USA, we just handle the lions share of the s***, I served in the first gulf, so I can talk. I still regret stopping short in the desert the first time, that's politicians again screwing up a good thing.

these are just my thoughts,

well i agree with the US getting a new president and hopefully pulling back on the spending in Iraq, and having to supply military just about everywhere the dollar should gain ... the peso it just baffles me to no end.. I mean what does the philippines export? They are oil needy , they lack interstruture , i think the new's you read here is just hype .. investors eyeing what does that mean.. show me the money... heck they cant even agree on the SRP ... just sitting there month after month... year after year... dang sell it all to SM and you will see some action nothing like greed of a private company to show results. Also the VAT 12% is a heck of a lot of money well where is it , stashed in paperbags waiting for another meeting ...

Yeah, there was just something in the paper about one of the Philippine rep's getting a nice bag of cash, which noted was business as usual. It was purportedly a payment that he would use to fund projects in his district, but there was no accounting for it at all. Gotta love it. So Robert51, you are a closet optimist too!

In terms of the US dollar improving. Sure maybe. If the politicians decide to roll back their spending, quit pork barreling projects in their home districts, diminish entitlements, and start paying off the deficit, I think you have a very good case. I also think that those things will happen about the time they start genetically altering pigs with wings. But that is just my take on it. Nothing is impossible, but computing the probability is what makes life interesting.

I will be happy to see a stronger dollar, don't get me wrong. It would benefit me quite a bit.

For many years the US has been running a defecit, one that has greatly increased over the past decade or so.

Now it has reached the level that raises concern among foreign investors and primarily, traders.

China holds over $1.3 trillions worth of US debt, and they have stopped buying. That alone will help prevent major price rises in the

For many years the US has been running a defecit, one that has greatly increased over the past decade or so.

Now it has reached the level that raises concern among foreign investors and primarily, traders.

the US $ will definately fall from its position as the global currency and the "standard reserve" held by investors worldwide.

Not in our life time, but some day yes!

I had a really smart, wise and wealthy friend once tell me, if you invest , never read the paper or watch the news,

I like the discussion of everyone's thoughts, interesting, Thanks !

Alan, "many years", more like decades! Regan just perfected it!

Edited by JLG

sure the peso will hold through the holidays and see reprieve into 2008, the majority of the Filipino people are the most generous caring people I have known, this is why I really love the Philippines, The bsp isn't doing all it can knowing the outcome.

Hmm..such a strong statement...please try to read more and experience for yourself how majority of us Filipinos live and I am pretty sure your view will change...so typical! My husband is like you too, 5 years ago...after living here, his belief turned 360 degrees. The Php Peso just responsed to the weakening US dollar. But in the real household income, it is like this...

US$ 1 = Php 55, 11 kilos of LPG gas is 300 pesos and 1 kilo of cooking oil is 35

US$ 1 = Php 45 11 kilos of LPG gas is 565 pesos and 1 kilo of cooking oil is 60

If this is supposed to be a period where every Filipino should sacrifice for the sake of economic recovery then I AM for it 101 percent

But if it just for the sake of all those corrupt and greedy politicians, then, thank God I am married to an American and I am a lot more tackful, otherwise I will be producing lot of NPAs! GOD Help me! :unsure:

Edited by Daisy

i hope so.

im an OFW. 90% of my savings is in foreign account. if this time will come, i will send all my money to my Phil account.

i started working in Kuwait last year where 1 Dinar = 180, but now 1 Dinar = 157 :unsure:

i hope so.

im an OFW. 90% of my savings is in foreign account. if this time will come, i will send all my money to my Phil account.

i started working in Kuwait last year where 1 Dinar = 180, but now 1 Dinar = 157 :unsure:

This seems to be a double whammy for those who have U.S. dollars. The dollar is not going as far abroad but it is also not going as far at home either. Rents, gas prices, and virtually all services have shot up over the last few years as the dollar got weaker in the U.S. Three years ago my condo went for $1000 a month in rent. Now it runs $1700 a month. Not just a greedy lanlord it is how things have changed. As property values went up so did the rents. No one wants to rent out property to people for less then they would make if they sold it and put the money in a bank CD or such. What shock do you think the people who have not been back to the U.S. in a couple of years would face. No matter how bad you think it is getting there do not think it is a picnic back here.

I also pray that the dollar gets stronger. I held on to some British pounds from the last time I was in London. Who knew with the devaluation of the dollar. That his would end up being the best investment I made in the last few years. Better then the less then 1% a year my bank gives. To bad I did not have Euros. Sometimes dumb luck is the best luck.

mattwilkie
This seems to be a double whammy for those who have U.S. dollars. The dollar is not going as far abroad but it is also not going as far at home either. Rents, gas prices, and virtually all services have shot up over the last few years as the dollar got weaker in the U.S. Three years ago my condo went for $1000 a month in rent. Now it runs $1700 a month. Not just a greedy lanlord it is how things have changed. As property values went up so did the rents. No one wants to rent out property to people for less then they would make if they sold it and put the money in a bank CD or such. What shock do you think the people who have not been back to the U.S. in a couple of years would face. No matter how bad you think it is getting there do not think it is a picnic back here.

I also pray that the dollar gets stronger. I held on to some British pounds from the last time I was in London. Who knew with the devaluation of the dollar. That his would end up being the best investment I made in the last few years. Better then the less then 1% a year my bank gives. To bad I did not have Euros. Sometimes dumb luck is the best luck.

Its just general world markets.. The UK economy is sat on a tip of an iceburg at the moment only

stability is being caused due to the huge number of migrant workers artificially inflating the

Its just general world markets.. The UK economy is sat on a tip of an iceburg at the moment only

stability is being caused due to the huge number of migrant workers artificially inflating the

another thing...majority of filipinos presumed that the current peso-dollar rate is because of some fiscal measures of this administration... :unsure::D they should know better...! they just announced that economy is getting better and stronger and there is the news about a 12 year old girl's diary that she kill herself because of poverty... I hope I don't sound I'm venting, I am just stating a FACT.

Edited by Daisy
tom_shor
another thing...majority of filipinos presumed that the current peso-dollar rate is because of some fiscal measures of this administration... ;):sad_01: they should know better...! they just announced that economy is getting better and stronger and there is the news about a 12 year old girl's diary that she kill herself because of poverty... I hope I don't sound I'm venting, I am just stating a FACT.

I would say compared to my first visit in 1983 many filipinos are better off economicaly. That doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of room for improvment. Many are still crushingly poor. But despite the government things do seem a little better than before. Mostly because of OFW remittances I would guess. There is some hope for the future.

I would say compared to my first visit in 1983 many filipinos are better off economicaly. That doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of room for improvment. Many are still crushingly poor. But despite the government things do seem a little better than before. Mostly because of OFW remittances I would guess. There is some hope for the future.

I agree with Tom..If the Imelda Marcos era was not enough, the economy then had to deal with Aquino,Ramos and that thieving mongrel, Erap.

GMA is the most credible president this country has had since her father...

GMA for prime minister in 2010!!