British expat bashed and robbed F. Ramos Street, opinions plz?

A_Simple_Man

I was standing at Angels burgers once and a real old bird beggar stood about 6ft away from me just staring at me while I waited for my burgers...I told the girl working there to cook the old bird up a couple of burgers also, but she said she dont want food she only want the money...I ended up giving her 50 pesos and she split without saying a word..thinking back I wished Id given her more...I wouldnt have missed it...sitting outside my hotel one day 2 young kids about 4 or 5 years old came up to me and just stood staring at me...they had a small white sack with a plastic bottle in it....remembering I wished I gave the old bird more than 50 pesos I decided to give these two kids more...so I dug around and gave them all the change I had...probably a couple hundred pesos,If a westerner came up to me and told me he had been robbed etc I would help him out...its probably a bullshit story...so what....who cares,thats his line,his sales pitch...what else is he going to say...im a beggar..?dont think so.

Can you spare 500 pesos? You can send it to me by L'Huillier. I will even pay the fee to send it. If anyone else wants to send money then send it to me because I will even say thank you, not like some filipinos in another thread. And even better, I promise I will not spend it on drugs or alcohol or cigarettes. Only on rice for my family and for family members who are dying in hospital. Well they are not dying in hospital yet but I need the money just in case that happens. I don't understand why people will give their money to strangers when there are people in their (LinC) family who need that money. Or maybe you have a gf who has a family who needs money.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Davaoeno

• dirtsquirter

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give and so far its hasnt hurt me .. in a week. i give at least 100 packs of noodles ,, 30 packs of cookies and 10 packs of them little jellies ,, my target is the kids you see struggling with the

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. No

You are much more generous than me.   Interesting that he didnt want to use you cel phone to call his wife- [ or one of his many friends, having lived here for 1`2 years - instead he approaches a pe

Posted Images

As a general rule I don't give money to beggars. I’ve given hundreds of dollars to homeless people (including family members) over the years and in the long run have become jaded about this issue. Panhandlers are everywhere in San Antonio and in Houston (where I was raised) and over the years it’s become easier to ignore them no matter how they look. I grew up poor with no one to help me so I took out school loans just so I could finish college and law school. During that time I nearly starved to death just so I could better myself. It would have been a lot easier to give up and become a drug dealer or a pimp but I persevered. (I should have bought stock in the Campbell Soup Company and Nabisco since soup and crackers was all I ate for 7 years) I'm not kidding!!! Now that I am successful and make good money, that I pay taxes on, I sure as hell am not going to give it away to someone who is too lazy to work. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a healthy male holding a sign because he is too lazy to get a job. If I feel compelled to give anything to them then it’s food, and most of the time they’re not interested. That tells me they are not sincere and are trying to scam me.

However, there have been exceptions to the rule. When I was attending law school I used to see a woman in her late 20's or early 30's who slept behind a local convenience store. Everyday I would stop there for coffee before going to school. At first she looked normal so I just ignored her but over a period of weeks she slowly turned into something resembling the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz movie. She never took a bath or changed her clothes so after about a month she was one nasty looking woman. I was convinced that she had some mental issues because no one with their head on straight ends up looking that bad. I started giving her any change that I had and she would immediately go into the store and buy a cup of coffee or a donut to eat. I remember standing in line behind her and almost gagging because she smelled so bad. I sincerely felt so sorry for her but there was nothing I could do. It's sad that out sorry ass government in Washington DC will spend billions of dollars to help other countries but they won't help their own.

Edited by TheDuke
  • Like 2
dirtsquirter

I was standing at Angels burgers once and a real old bird beggar stood about 6ft away from me just staring at me while I waited for my burgers...I told the girl working there to cook the old bird up a couple of burgers also, but she said she dont want food she only want the money...I ended up giving her 50 pesos and she split without saying a word..thinking back I wished Id given her more...I wouldnt have missed it...sitting outside my hotel one day 2 young kids about 4 or 5 years old came up to me and just stood staring at me...they had a small white sack with a plastic bottle in it....remembering I wished I gave the old bird more than 50 pesos I decided to give these two kids more...so I dug around and gave them all the change I had...probably a couple hundred pesos,If a westerner came up to me and told me he had been robbed etc I would help him out...its probably a bullshit story...so what....who cares,thats his line,his sales pitch...what else is he going to say...im a beggar..?dont think so.

I would respect the guy more if he did say he was a beggar, telling me a bullshit story just to con me out of a few pesos isn't going to sit well with me. Being honest and telling me the real story will likely net much better results for him.

smokey

I would respect the guy more if he did say he was a beggar, telling me a bullshit story just to con me out of a few pesos isn't going to sit well with me. Being honest and telling me the real story will likely net much better results for him.

ok i will be honest i want your money how much can you give me...min. 1,000p ... free pick up

Stranded Shipscook

I only work in Teams :

post-8399-0-66246100-1317467079_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Athena

once in the army i went with a guy we drove from fort rucker alabama to florida and he ditched me there at a pool hall ( he went awol with his GF)) and if not for the kindness of total strangers i would of been in bad shape took two days to hitch hike back and when he left me i had only 2 dollars in my pocket... When i got back of course i was in big touble myself and still have on my record 2 days awol...

I know the feeling ……………….

Many years ago, I got pickpocketed and didn’t realise it until its time to pay the jeepney driver. I was in shock and worried how I will explain it to my mother, as it was not only my pocket money that was taken but my sem fee for the college. The Jeepney driver was so kind to me, waive the fare and even give me P2 for snack/fare to go home. I haven’t forgotten the man’s kindness and in my own way try to pay back what I owe to good Samaritans ………………

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It's obvious this man was a beggar and not a tourist that had lived there for 12 years. For a start he would be so clued up after this time that he would not be stupid enough to carry his passport etc or have no backup plan. He would also not be robbed if his clothes were so bad and you can't tell me his clothes got in that condition in one day. So yes, you have to look at the whole situation and weigh up the signs and there are a number of other signals too from that post. From reading the little info I got from the first post then I can see he was not genuine. Still, I would not give money in most cases but would often offer women and children some food.

Wombat No More

i give and so far its hasnt hurt me .. in a week. i give at least 100 packs of noodles ,, 30 packs of cookies and 10 packs of them little jellies ,, my target is the kids you see struggling with the bags of scrap,, the very old ladies walking on the side of the road ,, the little children playing while the moms.. look on ,,, the kids that come to the car window ,,, any child that will come up and sing... i do this NOT ONLY to see a little smile but becasue i was born poor.. total cost per week maybe on a good week 3,000p ...many make fun of me and say the children are taking advantage , others say its not my job to give their familys should provide for them and its not my problem,, some say i am just a stupid foreigner who wants to spend money because i am guilty of something... to me its just all the good kama i get back...if not here in the next world.

Good on ya mate, that attitude is very commendable... Can I suggest to you, a way to make these donations many times more benificial? I suggest that instead of the 'empty calories' foods you are distributing, that you buy actual food, ie, stuff that has vitamins, minerals and fibre within, like fruits and some types of veggies like carrots, cucumber etc. If they are hungry, they will actually benifit from good foods and the opposite with junk foods that you mentioned. Not in the slightest having a go at you mate, quite the opposite, just trying to suggest that your help be best for the same bucks. Ooroo, Phil