British expat bashed and robbed F. Ramos Street, opinions plz?

Headshot

We take our dogs to Cebu Veterinary Doctors there on F. Ramos. I've seen an old scruffy-looking foreigner running around the area with a bandage on his head a few times. He has never approached me, but one time he was eyeing me from across the street, and I guess he decided against approaching me. If somebody approached me like that, I would likely offer to buy them food (I have done that many times), but if they refused that, I would give them NOTHING. I would never give them money. I think the guy you're talking about is the same guy who goes to Ayala to hit up foreigners there. The story certainly sounds the same. From what I've heard, this guy has been running this scam for years.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Davaoeno

• Baywak

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give and so far its hasnt hurt me .. in a week. i give at least 100 packs of noodles ,, 30 packs of cookies and 10 packs of them little jellies ,, my target is the kids you see struggling with the

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. No

You are much more generous than me.   Interesting that he didnt want to use you cel phone to call his wife- [ or one of his many friends, having lived here for 1`2 years - instead he approaches a pe

Posted Images

I think I met the same guy, and I gave him 200. Good to hear he is still around.... :biggrin_01:

:stick_poke:

Edited by harley
  • Like 1

i give and so far its hasnt hurt me .. in a week. i give at least 100 packs of noodles ,, 30 packs of cookies and 10 packs of them little jellies ,, my target is the kids you see struggling with the bags of scrap,, the very old ladies walking on the side of the road ,, the little children playing while the moms.. look on ,,, the kids that come to the car window ,,, any child that will come up and sing... i do this NOT ONLY to see a little smile but becasue i was born poor.. total cost per week maybe on a good week 3,000p ...many make fun of me and say the children are taking advantage , others say its not my job to give their familys should provide for them and its not my problem,, some say i am just a stupid foreigner who wants to spend money because i am guilty of something... to me its just all the good kama i get back...if not here in the next world.

Edited by smokey
  • Like 9
Stranded Shipscook

I don't believe the assault/robbery story. Would be something new, if...

But i know a run down foreigner begging in that area. He is a nuisance, maybe that caused the head injuries.

Found myself in Cebu once with only 11 bucks in my pocket when my money did not come in as scheduled. Thats cutting it too damn close for comfort. I might have had to wrap a bandage around my head________

• Like 1

Found myself in Cebu once with only 11 bucks in my pocket when my money did not come in as scheduled. Thats cutting it too damn close for comfort. I might have had to wrap a bandage around my head________

once in the army i went with a guy we drove from fort rucker alabama to florida and he ditched me there at a pool hall ( he went awol with his GF)) and if not for the kindness of total strangers i would of been in bad shape took two days to hitch hike back and when he left me i had only 2 dollars in my pocket... When i got back of course i was in big touble myself and still have on my record 2 days awol...

I found myself new in Cebu only 4 hrs before my flight and with not enough CASH to get to the airport and pay immigration as the ATM machine ate my one "good" card. Well I did know a friend in CEBU and called my wife in the US to get his number and sooner than my long lost friend was at my pension house with a couple thousand pesos in hand with only a promise that I would pay back some day. Whew. So I was new to Cebu but my limited connections paid off. How could a guy live in the PI for 12 years and not have any connections or friends in CEBU to help him out in a jam? ..MY VOTE he was is a BUM and would gladly have taken more if offered.

Davaoeno

I found myself new in Cebu only 4 hrs before my flight and with not enough CASH to get to the airport and pay immigration as the ATM machine ate my one "good" card. Well I did know a friend in CEBU and called my wife in the US to get his number and sooner than my long lost friend was at my pension house with a couple thousand pesos in hand with only a promise that I would pay back some day. Whew. So I was new to Cebu but my limited connections paid off. How could a guy live in the PI for 12 years and not have any connections or friends in CEBU to help him out in a jam? ..MY VOTE he was is a BUM and would gladly have taken more if offered.

a bum is a bum is a bum !!

a bum is a bum is a bum !!

hey today there was another bashing this time a young girl was bashed in the head by a young guy ... hummmmmmm they said its happened a few times in the last few weeks... oh and a consturction worker who was stabbed by teens who wanted his back pack... another local seems like when there is not a foreigner around to bash anyone will do..

Edited by smokey
jtmwatchbiz

the brit wasn't robbed at all. i think he has some kind of skin problem causing the wounds or even more disturbing he is self-inflicting the cuts to help his story sound convincing. last year the same brit walked up to me and a few guys sitting at the bo's coffee at raintree and gave the same story. i also gave the guy a few hundred peso...maybe 3 or 4 hundred i can't remember. about a month ago the very same guy shuffled past me as i was sitting at mr. donuts next to fuente pension house and he started to give me the same baloney story. needless to say i didn't give him any more money. another friend here told me that the brit has been doing this for years.

fred

guadalupe

Your story is a great example of why I never rely on an ATM card anywhere I go in this world. Cash is KING baby.

Edited by TheDuke
ArieBombarie

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. Not sure if I read about that here or another webboard but I seem to recall a story of something very similar. Hate to say it, but the Phils does attract some very shady characters.

It is the standard big city street (drug addict) scam really, best bet for people with a posh or first world foreign background, usually the clue is that somebody needs money for a fare. If you are in doubt use your phone to check out the story with relatives, too complicated for an opportunistic street scam to have an accomplice, if somebody is robbed first thing he will do is go to a policestation and they will give you some papers to prove it as well, Likely the mugging part was true, most victims of muggings are the ones that live on the streets.

Edited by ArieBombarie
batman2525

I was standing at Angels burgers once and a real old bird beggar stood about 6ft away from me just staring at me while I waited for my burgers...I told the girl working there to cook the old bird up a couple of burgers also, but she said she dont want food she only want the money...I ended up giving her 50 pesos and she split without saying a word..thinking back I wished Id given her more...I wouldnt have missed it...sitting outside my hotel one day 2 young kids about 4 or 5 years old came up to me and just stood staring at me...they had a small white sack with a plastic bottle in it....remembering I wished I gave the old bird more than 50 pesos I decided to give these two kids more...so I dug around and gave them all the change I had...probably a couple hundred pesos,If a westerner came up to me and told me he had been robbed etc I would help him out...its probably a bullshit story...so what....who cares,thats his line,his sales pitch...what else is he going to say...im a beggar..?dont think so.

• Like 1