British expat bashed and robbed F. Ramos Street, opinions plz?

hi.

I was at Abuhan restro (F. Ramos St) last night and an englishman about late 50's walked up near where we sat outside, i said hello and we struck up a chinwag.

anyway he looked a bit untidy and also like he was a hobo, but hey, i have a good secure job and i still dress like i got my clothes from a rubbish bin, so i dont always let clothes maketh the man.

he told me he was from negros but i cant remember exactly where, lived in phils for like 12+ years, and that he came here to buy some things for his house that he lived in with his filipina wife and daughter, he came to cebu by himself.

anyway. he told me that the previous night he just arrived and was on way to diplomat hotel and was struck on the head from behind with an iron pipe by 3 young (underage) boys. they gave him a good bashing on the head and put the boot in whilst down on the ground. they took everything he had with him, passport, identification, plastic money and his cash etc etc.

now i am not sure if this is bullshit but he did have injuries on his head which could be from being beaten with a blunt object, pretty severe too, like about 8 injuries. as our food was brought to our table outside he said he would be off but asked me for some change just for some food for tonight. i refused as i said i dont give money to people who ask me for it. he said he only 100peso will do and i thought, well if he is telling me a bullshit story then thats not alot to ask for, especially for westerner. I offered that he have half of the food i ordered and to sit and eat, he politely refused saying he didnt want to crowd me and my friend.

Anyway, i did think if this is just a story then so be it, i am a fool again. but if it is true and i not give him some small help then i am a bigger fool, so i gave him 500p. I thought later that i should of taken him to the diplomat and paid him a room and dinner/breakfast for the night as i been helped by kind strangers before and must remember to do same. i also thought if i did this and he was just scamming me, then he would make excuse to not stay there or have me pay the room etc, as it wouldnt be cash in hand and i would see. but as it was i didnt think at the moment.

So what u guys think? i have had some pretty good stories told to me to extract some of my cash, being here and lots of other places including back in australia. but if this is true then watch out because he said it happened nearby to the diplomat hotel. and i have stayed there many times and walked the area at all times in various levels of hooboogness, but no matter where i am, i always check my rear vision for who approches from behind, thats how i always am.

So Be Careful around the area.. I tell this here so if this is truth then we need to be aware and be careful. Also incase anyone had same guy with same story. please do tell.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Davaoeno

• Stranded Shipscook

• mojo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give and so far its hasnt hurt me .. in a week. i give at least 100 packs of noodles ,, 30 packs of cookies and 10 packs of them little jellies ,, my target is the kids you see struggling with the

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. No

You are much more generous than me.   Interesting that he didnt want to use you cel phone to call his wife- [ or one of his many friends, having lived here for 1`2 years - instead he approaches a pe

Posted Images

Tough call. I have seen both sides of the coin so in situations such as this, I am skeptical.

I find that I can ease my mind if I only give a little. I am certainly not going to take it upon myself to solve all their 'problems'. I will just give enough to be 'helpful', but not enough to feel 'taken' if indeed they are scamming.

This way works for me, but I must admit that I don't give at all to career beggars. Or, at the least, not more than once. :biggrin_01:

hi.

I was at Abuhan restro (F. Ramos St) last night and an englishman about late 50's walked up near where we sat outside, i said hello and we struck up a chinwag.

anyway he looked a bit untidy and also like he was a hobo, but hey, i have a good secure job and i still dress like i got my clothes from a rubbish bin, so i dont always let clothes maketh the man.

he told me he was from negros but i cant remember exactly where, lived in phils for like 12+ years, and that he came here to buy some things for his house that he lived in with his filipina wife and daughter, he came to cebu by himself.

anyway. he told me that the previous night he just arrived and was on way to diplomat hotel and was struck on the head from behind with an iron pipe by 3 young (underage) boys. they gave him a good bashing on the head and put the boot in whilst down on the ground. they took everything he had with him, passport, identification, plastic money and his cash etc etc.

now i am not sure if this is bullshit but he did have injuries on his head which could be from being beaten with a blunt object, pretty severe too, like about 8 injuries. as our food was brought to our table outside he said he would be off but asked me for some change just for some food for tonight. i refused as i said i dont give money to people who ask me for it. he said he only 100peso will do and i thought, well if he is telling me a bullshit story then thats not alot to ask for, especially for westerner. I offered that he have half of the food i ordered and to sit and eat, he politely refused saying he didnt want to crowd me and my friend.

Anyway, i did think if this is just a story then so be it, i am a fool again. but if it is true and i not give him some small help then i am a bigger fool, so i gave him 500p. I thought later that i should of taken him to the diplomat and paid him a room and dinner/breakfast for the night as i been helped by kind strangers before and must remember to do same. i also thought if i did this and he was just scamming me, then he would make excuse to not stay there or have me pay the room etc, as it wouldnt be cash in hand and i would see. but as it was i didnt think at the moment.

So what u guys think? i have had some pretty good stories told to me to extract some of my cash, being here and lots of other places including back in australia. but if this is true then watch out because he said it happened nearby to the diplomat hotel. and i have stayed there many times and walked the area at all times in various levels of hooboogness, but no matter where i am, i always check my rear vision for who approches from behind, thats how i always am.

So Be Careful around the area.. I tell this here so if this is truth then we need to be aware and be careful. Also incase anyone had same guy with same story. please do tell.

Living here 12 years and carry that with you?

It would raise my suspicions, but I admire you for the help you gave,

it is sure something happen to all of us, regardless of what you have with you.

A_Simple_Man

I have heard there are shabu 'drug' addicts who act like the fellow in the OP. The addiction does not seem to discriminate beteween race, citizenship, or residency. Turning down food is a big red flag for that kind of behaviour. Whereas marijuana imbibers are always hungry, shabu addicts don't seem to like to eat.

I am a skeptic, I would not give 500P.

Davaoeno

You are much more generous than me.

Interesting that he didnt want to use you cel phone to call his wife- [ or one of his many friends, having lived here for 1`2 years - instead he approaches a perfect stranger ] , or to sit at another table and accept your offer of some food.

My donation would have been nothing .

Edited by davaolife
  • Like 2

he had already suposedly filed police report and contact embassy for replacement passport etc, it happened the day before, not just before we met.. wife sending cash etc.

yes possibly an addict of some kind, but the shabby look makes me think not a career beggar/scammer as usually they try to present a good image and he definately looked as though he was a local hobo who sleeps at the park bench.

I dont give to beggars either except little old ladies i see here with no teeth etc, i wouldnt like my mother to be in that situation.

i think in the situation that 500p is not much. but usually i will take the time to give help by paying the cost than give the money, that way u can see it is spent on what they asking for.

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. Not sure if I read about that here or another webboard but I seem to recall a story of something very similar. Hate to say it, but the Phils does attract some very shady characters.

• Like 6

Wasn't there a guy going around Ayala Mall a couple of months ago with the same story? That he was mugged and had no money, ATM card, credit card, passport, etc and was asking foreigners for money. Not sure if I read about that here or another webboard but I seem to recall a story of something very similar. Hate to say it, but the Phils does attract some very shady characters.

[Why would that be a shady character?Its perfectly normal for a tourist and some expats to carry ATM cards,credit cards and a passport on them! It's also quite obvious that what happened to this guy in the Op happens a lot here in the philippines.I talked to a 70 year old kano a few weeks ago,he lives in dumaguete,he was beaten and robbed within inches of his life.Said he lived in cebu 20 years,got robbed by his wife and moved to dumaguete.He was considering new zealand or las vegas.

Davaoeno

[Why would that be a shady character?Its perfectly normal for a tourist and some expats to carry ATM cards,credit cards and a passport on them! It's also quite obvious that what happened to this guy in the Op happens a lot here in the philippines.I talked to a 70 year old kano a few weeks ago,he lives in dumaguete,he was beaten and robbed within inches of his life.Said he lived in cebu 20 years,got robbed by his wife and moved to dumaguete.He was considering new zealand or las vegas.

no one ever got robbed in vegas !!! lol

no one ever got robbed in vegas !!! lol

That's what I said to him.I think it may happen more in vegas then the pinas.I know a kano/filippina couple who moved from vegas to upstate new york because as they said- it was so rotten to live there.now they live in manila because they found upstate NY to have a very profound style of stupidity.Go figure huh?

I told the 70 year old- try davao/mindanao-its the best&safest in the pinas-he said he had always heard that but is afraid of mindanao.Probably better for mindanao that way. :biggrin_01:

Edited by Baywak

hi.

you got your 500 p worth no matter..... we do things for other from the heart ,,, not everyone is a bullshitter so as his passport was taken that means he is a bullshitter i carry my id ... dang all these years and i never knew i was stupid... oh well

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

It's hard to judge but that area is really notorious for some young gangs robbing people. I have a friend who live in a boarding house in that area and he was approached and held up by teenagers. The gang his wallet and cellphone but he was not harmed.

I have been approached by pan handling foriegners twice since I have been here, each time they had an elaborate story to tell about why they needed cash. If I doubt the authenticity of the story I just say no....

In this case I would have doubted the authenticity of the story(refusal of meal sharing offer, and the fact the wife could have easily LBC'd him some money overnight...)

Cheers,

Roger

For every story like this one that might be a scam, there may well be one that is true.

Everyone has two choices, to give or not.

If you give (a small amount), it may be "wasted" but it might just assist a fellow human being who is in trouble.

As long as the amount is only what you can easily afford, taking the chance of being scammed seems the best choice.