Sign in to follow this  
Ba-i

Chinese or French?

Ba-i

I am planning to learn other language but confused which might be a good one to learn. Chinese or French? I do know a bit about Chinese language tho way back my pre-K and Elementary days. This is not really a very important need for me to learn but just something I like to do during my spare time :thumbs_down:

Chas

French is a lovely language, but pretty pointless in the general scheme of things, a bit like being able to speak Welsh :) . I have stayed in France many times over the past 40 years and rarely has my minimal knowledge of French been a problem as I have nearly always found somebody to speak English. France is a beautiful country and the food is delicious.

Have you considered Spanish as an alternative to French? Spanish is widely spoken in the USA and elsewhere in the world.

China is increasing in importance and you may well find a knowledge of Mandarin extremely useful in the future. But as you are doing it for fun, do whichever you find most interesting.

lazydays

I think Chinese is a good language to learn for the future. If i had kids today, they would definately be going to Chinese language classes, especially if they lived in PI.

Spanish i feel is also a good language to learn, especially if you wish to travel the Americas.

:)

Edited by lazydays

Experienced

I am planning to learn other language but confused which might be a good one to learn. Chinese or French? I do know a bit about Chinese language tho way back my pre-K and Elementary days. This is not really a very important need for me to learn but just something I like to do during my spare time :)

I'd second Mandarin... Plenty of chances to use it right here in the Philippines. if you decide to go that route look up Yang Yang Chen's instructional videos on YouTube and her web site... she's a great teacher... very vivacious.

georgecombey

Hi there. If you will ask me, I will opt for French. French is on the top 5 of the most commonly spoken language in the world.

Mandingo

Back in school we were required to take a foreign language class, our options were French and Spanish. I picked French because once a year that class took a trip to France. Although French is a elegant language it not very practical for me and I should have taken Spanish being that there are so many Spanish speakers in America now and would have been much more useful.

If I were European or was going to be spending time in Europe or Africa I pick French. Being that you are in Asia and assuming you are going to spend more time here in Asia I'd pick a Chinese dialect. There are 1.3 billion Mandarin speakers compared to 400 million French speakers according to Wikipedia so Mandarin would be my pick.

Edited by Spacefalcon

Easyrider

How do you plan to learn another language? Do you have someone to teach you or do you plan to use a word translator or a tutorial?

Ba-i

How do you plan to learn another language? Do you have someone to teach you or do you plan to use a word translator or a tutorial?

I am planning to use wide array of whats available on the web. Plus, I have knowledge of Chinese ob both Mandarin and Amoi. ( Amoi = Simplified Chinese I got it from formal education way back in my pre-k and elem ) I just have to refresh it. I practice with my French friend to be corrected me with French language and how to say it. But the bad thing is, this only happens when she is available. So, any recommendation?

dc3driver

For French in Cebu.......http://www.alliancefr.ph/en/

SillAnthony

Learn Chinese rather than french. I think Chinese language would be most useful if you were to stay in the Philippines. And besides that, they say business just wouldn't go without Chinese men involve. LOL

KennyF

As a hobby, I think Thai would be good.

Learning Thai script is doable and quite fun as it's just a different alphabet and in fact has less characters than English.

Once you get the accent right you will be understood by most Thai folk,

Chinese might be easy to learn but the hieroglyphics looks damn near impossible.

KonGC

Kahuna

You have the rest of your life..no reason you couldn't learn both and then some as long as you hunger for learning :beer2:

AlooGobi

I'm thinking or learning eggnogginese so i can understand exactly WTF he writes in his posts :beer2:

Stranded Shipscook

depends on what you want to do it for. Communicate with people here in the Philippines? Migrate somewhere?

Chinese has advantages, but which one, Cantonise, Mandarin, other ones ?

French is beautiful and easy to grasp due to the similarity of the grammar ( all latin based) but the prononciation can cause you headaches. And you won't find many people to practise with.

Korean could be an option too. Easier to learn and their alphabet is not too complicated either. ( that would be my best bet here )

Whatever you decide, try to be consistent, because a half hearted spoken language can be worse then non at all.

Alfred E. Neuman

Chinese Language(mandarin)- every aspect of the world economy will involve a Chinaman

French Language- so you can order food and drinks in FRANCE !