Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

NAVIGATING CEBU JEEPNEYS

Woolf

In your dreams,  yes        :sad_01:  

tobster

Nice post. I drive but use the jeepneys as a guide to get to places I have not been before.

Jim Sibbick

Knowing the route code doesn't necessarily help.

I saw a jeepney one time I thought I would like to ride.  It was a jeepney for the destination I wanted and was heading in the right direction down the road.

I got in, it went about 50 metres, did a U turn and started heading in the opposite direction. 

• Like 2

Justine

Very informative. Thank you!

mrlondon

Nice post. I drive but use the jeepneys as a guide to get to places I have not been before.

you mean you can see out of them?! 

wow, wish I was as short as you! :D

• Like 1

POTATOMAN

go in the general direction & ask the passengers is my plan; most of the time the locals seem really happy to help out a lost foreigner

Bill H

you mean you can see out of them?! 

wow, wish I was as short as you! :D

I frequently feel like a giant in the land of the Lilliputians here.  I also like to ride the Jeepneys since it's a pretty cost effective way to get around.  However, when I sit in the back not only does my head make painful contact with the roof, but I'm virtually blind and can't see where I am.  The solution to both of these problems is easy, ride in front next to the driver!  There is not extra cost to do this and if there is someone sitting there they will frequently move if you ask them to.  You have a much better view of the trip and the drivers are usually pretty friendly and fun to talk to.

• Like 1

hoz

Here is another with maps:

http://www.cebujeepneymap.com/

This is the one I've been using. Good maps of the routes. You need to be familiar with the numbers to find the right map though. Maybe combined with the OP list above. 

I use jeepneys all the time now, but I am very careful NOT to use them in the early mornings or late afternoons, because that is when the workers are going too and from work, and I would be mortified if I took a seat that denied a poor person from getting to work on time.

Just a thought.

There will be another jeepney along directly. 

• Like 1

hoz

On my first trip here I didn't know there were routes. I actually thought they ran helter skelter wherever they choose. Maybe concentrating on certain areas of town. I didn't think those numbers meant anything, let alone those words painted on the sides...Pit-Os-Talamban-Carbon and vice versa, WTF is that?? 

My in-laws weren't much help. They just said "tell the driver, he will take you where you want to go." I had to ask a maid what those words meant on the side. Man, did I feel stupid. 

They are usually mostly full and I have to get to the front for a seat. I feel like a fat pig crawling into them. I just say "scuse please" and slowly work my way forward, trying not to crush anyone's toes. I once said , "I'm too big!" and someone held up a bottle of water.Guess they thought I was thirsty.  Hehehehe.

My wife still won't ride them, she's been in the US too long. I tried to get her on one coming home from Sinulog but she refused, preferring a Taxi. I like catching short hops, but don't know about riding clear across town. I'm afraid I'll get car sick and have to heave out those little windows.

Salty Dog

Great simple and cheap, but if you have any physical handicap it's not the ride for you. As for riding in the front, where I use to live it was always the first seat to go. Never thought of asking anyone to move. Some of the jeepney would put two people in the front. If I was luck,y enough to get the front seat, I would pay for two just for the extra room.

Edited by Salty Dog

Bill H

Great simple and cheap, but if you have any physical handicap it's not the ride for you. As for riding in the front, where I use to live it was always the first seat to go. Never thought of asking anyone to move. Some of the jeepney would put two people in the front. If I was luck,y enough to get the front seat, I would pay for two just for the extra room.

Actually by law the front seat is for the handicapped.  So, if you are handicapped a non-handicapped person must relinquish the seat to you.

• Like 2

BobX

Jeepneys are a unique form of public transport because they are unsubsidised.  They are also not expensive for the locals (I guess).  When I can see the ground through the cracks in the floor, I understand why.  It is a rarity for me to not enter or exit without scraping some part of my body, or banging my head.  I see some young people who are as tall as me (6ft) and wonder how many decades they'll be banging their heads on the roofs.

Oasis Monarch

I found this link useful for planning your jeepney journeys: http://transit.com.ph/#

Cheers :lazy: