Vaughn Brady of Hard Kock Cafe & Kiwi Cottages Bantayan Dead at 61

I don't know how many of you who read this may have known Vaughn Brady, the owner (along with his wife) of the Hard Kock Cafe and Kiwi Cottages, in Sta. Fe Town on Bantayan Island. I did. In fact, I knew him pretty well. For damned sure, I would have never thought the last time I saw him, would be the last time I ever saw him again. Vaughn, a native Kiwi, was a hell of a guy. He was known and well liked by everyone.

Unfortunately, I only found out yesterday that he had passed about two weeks ago. I was talking with Paul James, a resident expert on Bantayan Island and the wowBantayan website owner, when I found this out.

My deepest sympathies go out to his wife and family. Vaughn surely will be missed.

P5290881 500px LREdit 1950 copy.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Admin (Retired)

sounds like he lived the life

rest in peace

and our best to his wife family and friends

For Real

Rest in Peace Vaughn

Hard Kock was my favourite eating/watering hole...i hope it remains

Stayed at his place numerous times..Happened to be there the week he passed..A shock to all..Always a group of expats there playing cards and having a few cocktails..

I stayed there many times. I don't think I ever saw him without a drink in front of him.

the place hasn't closed on account of this, so I guess the card school continues, only with an empty seat. I was chatting to a Filipina ex just last week, who said she was on Bantayan with a boyfriend, also Kiwi, who wouldn't have known Vaughan because he'd never been to Bantayan before, and they were staying there.

Edited by feastwhich
dowhatuwill

Sad news. I never met him but he ran a good place. He was enhoying a drink and the company of some friends when I dined there 2 months ago.

Condolences to friends and family.

having been to Santa Fe many times i got to know Vaughn, he was a good bloke, had the odd beer or two with him, Mae and i use to eat there often, shocked to hear the news, rest in peace Vaughn.

Mark n Mae

Vaughan is sorely by missed by all who knew him. But the good news is that Jing Jing is committed to making the bar an even better place.

• Like 1

Vaughn was a likeable guy, very steady and fair to all. What a surprise. Have known him since 2007, when i lived on the island for 6 months, and stayed there occasionally thereafter.

Edited by Aaron

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum Paul. I am also really shocked . Vaughan and I hit it off right from go as we [most unusually] share a christian name . Does anybody know the circumstances of his passing ? I always saw him as a fit and active sort of bloke . Sincere condolences to Jing Jing and little Stephie ....

Paul James stays in the Kiwi Cottages full time. He was there and will have the details if you wish to contact him through his website (wowBanatayan).

• 3 weeks later...
LifeofRiley

Vaughan died of a massive stroke. He was unconscious when found and never woke again. In hindsight, it was probably a good way for him to go. He didn`t suffer and if he had lived, he would have been a complete vegetable. Even knowing this, Jing Jing insisted that every-thing be done to keep him alive. That is true love, am sure I couldn`t have done it.

• Like 1
jusjoseph

RIP and hope the family continues with his dreams.