Sign in to follow this  
poby

Cebu Century

poby

I'm planning on staying in cebu century for a couple of months early next year and am trying to decide which room type I need. I don't need multiple beds so I figure the double standard or double economy will do nicely. Question is: Just how small is the double economy? I really don't need a whole bunch of space but if the room is only slightly larger than the queen size bed it might feel a little claustrophobic. Anyone have any pics or experience of the standard vs economy rooms at century cebu? :crack-up:

This will be my first visit to Philly but Ive read a lot about it for a long time. I'm 45 and live on a nice passive investment income that gives me after tax around $2000 a month which makes for a somewhat frugal existence here but I suspect a rather comfortable one in Philly.

If there are any bored expats in Cebu from 24 January till 22 March who would let me buy them a beer in exchange for some friendly advice about the dos and don'ts and generally where the best spots are to visit do let me know :)

BBQ Joe
I'm planning on staying in cebu century for a couple of months early next year and am trying to decide which room type I need. I don't need multiple beds so I figure the double standard or double economy will do nicely. Question is: Just how small is the double economy? I really don't need a whole bunch of space but if the room is only slightly larger than the queen size bed it might feel a little claustrophobic. Anyone have any pics or experience of the standard vs economy rooms at century cebu? :crack-up:

This will be my first visit to Philly but Ive read a lot about it for a long time. I'm 45 and live on a nice passive investment income that gives me after tax around $2000 a month which makes for a somewhat frugal existence here but I suspect a rather comfortable one in Philly.

If there are any bored expats in Cebu from 24 January till 22 March who would let me buy them a beer in exchange for some friendly advice about the dos and don'ts and generally where the best spots are to visit do let me know :)

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...?showtopic=4209

Basically,

Never drink alcohol with the locals. Never gamble with the locals. If someone says "Hey remember me".....WALK AWAY.

Don't carry more than a few thousand pesos on you.

Find a reputable currency changer and stick with that one.

DRUGS AND DRUG DEALERS ARE TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. DRUGS AND DRUG DEALERS ARE TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

Read the line above again.

Avoid ANY girl on the street that looks younger than 18.

Have a great time.

Edited by BBQ Joe

Paul

My Advice:

1. Don't stay at the Cebu Century, being a new visitor to the Philippines. While Jim Sibbick will disagree with this, I don't like the place. It is located in a very bad area of town, horrible, in fact. Newbies have no business going into this area, alone.

2. Stay somewhere that will offer reliable security, low crime, and is centrally located. I suggest for new visitors to stay at a new place in town called Apple Tree Suites. It is directly behind Fuente Osmena and across from the Fuente Pension, if anyone knows where that is.

If you book ahead of time, you can secure a room for Php 998. Here is the URL for Apple Tree Suites: http://appletreesuitescebu.com

For breakfast, you can walk across the street to the Fuente Pension and have a GREAT breakfast in the "open air" restaurant upstairs. Walk inside Fuente Pension, go to the elevator, proceed to the fourth floor, get off and walk to your right, then turn right. Straight ahead is the restaurant. Order the American Breakfast. Have the eggs scrambled in butter. I'm quite sure you will like it.

Now, to address the money issue: If you are living on $2,000 USD per month, you will do quite well. Currently, I am living on well under $1,000 USD per month, and rent this Cebu Province Home.

poby

Thanks for your input. Ive read a number of your posts and always find your advice interesting and informative. I have read a lot about cebu century in this forum and in other places both good and bad and am prepared to give it a go. At around 500php it is very cheap and I know you get what you pay for but then I dont need much. From what I've read here, crime even in that part of town is not too serious a concern provided common sense precautions are taken. I don't eat breakfast or lunch. I can certainly afford better but this time I want to do it on the cheap and if I manage to have a good time then anywhere I stay next time I will have an even better time! Twisted logic perhaps but it fits my twisted brain.

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting views about this hotel and the area its located. I will give it a shot and report back my experiences here. I have spent time in Brazil and Nigeria so I'm not sure if it can be worse than what I've seen before.

Paul

Please do, Poby. I'm sure it will be appreciated. Please post your report in this forum.

poby
Please do, Poby. I'm sure it will be appreciated. Please post your report in this forum.

Well I've been here in Cebu Century now a few days and am very impressed. Yeah the area is kindy crappy (well it is on "colon" street) but the hotel is great. Good sized room with aircon and cable tv costing me around 500 pesos a day ( 2 month stay) The only thing missing was internet in the rooms but yesterday, to please me, they drilled a hole in the ceiling and ran a cable to their router so I could connect my laptop! Never heard of a hotel going to so much trouble to please a guest and especially such a cheap hotel!

Yes the area is rather colorful and everytime I step outside I'm propositioned by pimps and pros hawking their wares but it is close to supermarkets and shops and cinemas with an atm machine literally 3 feet from the hotel entrance. A taxi to fuente circle is only 50 pesos away. So far Ive been eating at the ubiquitous jollybees but will look for some real food when I get over this cold thats bugging me.

If anyone is staying at the century or going to stay there in the next month or two drop me a line.