Sign in to follow this  
Stranded Shipscook

In case of nautical trouble, here is where you can contact the Coastguard

Stranded Shipscook

I post this once in a while, so that people get the numbers of who and how to contact the Philippine Coastguard in the region. Note- these are the Professionals, not the volunteers, so courtesy in dealing with them is advised.

http://www.coastguar...id=57&Itemid=60

maybe its a good idea to "PIN" it on top of this forum...

Edited by CATMAN
  • Like 4

A_Simple_Man

I wonder if that is the number the passenger on the Weesam called? You know, the one that could not help because the captain of the boat did not call it in.

:)

Stranded Shipscook

I wonder if that is the number the passenger on the Weesam called? You know, the one that could not help because the captain of the boat did not call it in.

:)

The private citizen aboard did not call any number of the above, he called a friend who is somewhat connected with the PCG.

And as far as i know,(Saturday) the investigation regarding the PCG CEBU has been dropped, as all records are meticulously and in order. They reacted as fast as they could.

Nobody blames them seriously for having slow boats.

BTW- the Captain also called in (or reported after being contacted)) a PANPAN not a MAYDAY, because they were sitting on a Sandbar and hoped that the tide would flush them free. On PANPAN the Coastguard isn't even supposed to go out for "rescue".

Aside of this i heard, the PCG receives about 50 prank calls p/day. But they DID call the Captain of the vessel. Who then admitted his problems. An absolute correct procedure. By the book actually.

One word for the captain- I can not really blame him for not immediately calling for help, as per maritime law, if he calls Mayday and SOS, he would give up the ship and everything on it. Any Tugboat nearby would be entitled to salvage...Something one things about for a while first.

And sitting on a sandbar does not really presents an imminent danger for the passengers, right ?

Edited by CATMAN

Ricky

One word for the captain- I can not really blame him for not immediately calling for help, as per maritime law, if he calls Mayday and SOS, he would give up the ship and everything on it. Any Tugboat nearby would be entitled to salvage...Something one things about for a while first.

And sitting on a sandbar does not really presents an imminent danger for the passengers, right ?

Thats one of the misconceptions of Filipino seafarers, probably a failure due to their education system never focusing on international law. In the UK system, I'd say 90% of my Masters writtens was law, looking into salvage, distress, contracts and what the implications are of distress or salvage.

• Like 1

Stranded Shipscook

Thats one of the misconceptions of Filipino seafarers, probably a failure due to their education system never focusing on international law. In the UK system, I'd say 90% of my Masters writtens was law, looking into salvage, distress, contracts and what the implications are of distress or salvage.

Yeah its a bureaucratic nightmare, and every year they write new 'rule books". The University can hardly follow it up. They got ONE copy of IMO updates only for the UC Maritime University in Mambaling. And how many study for the Masters Ticket ?

The worst problem is, that when they have done it, they think, they are finished and never have to learn again. Not all, but a lot of them.

Ricky

I've just spent 3 weeks in Italy bringing two Filipino Officers upto date, and these guys are the creme of the crop from the best acadamies, and it's a struggle. Its nothing to do with ability as everything I taught them was absorbed, all do with a poor education system.

Stranded Shipscook

I've just spent 3 weeks in Italy bringing two Filipino Officers upto date, and these guys are the creme of the crop from the best acadamies, and it's a struggle. Its nothing to do with ability as everything I taught them was absorbed, all do with a poor education system.

i could tell you stories about it, i renewed all my STCW 95 courses here, its a joke... Lets say, the exam is more like an open discussion and in the end we looked it up in the handbooks.

Mostly one watch videos and hear lots of heartwarming stories from some ex mariners, and some play fun outdoor games Fire Fighting & PSSR is most fun, but i have my doubts if in real situations they have learned the seriousness of the training simulation.

nuff said, don't want to scare the people here. And good to hear that at least the International shipping lines have made the effort to train them again.

broden

consider it stuck