Prepaid Visa or Mastercard in Phil

stevesmoving

Kenny, I don't think it is that easy over here, at least not that I know of!

What you get here are only atm cards on your savings accounts.

And in his OP he is talking about the PH.

He does not say what country he is in, only "In my current country".which I have assumed is the west.

KonGC

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• TheMatrix

• stevesmoving

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a cash country. You probally can find something like a Smart Money Credit card or Globe has similar. Yet where to use it? Yes they are catching up and more and more places take it. Yet cash

Unionbank mate. Eon cyber card, easy to get, takes 5 working days. You can fill in online aplication form, and just pick it up. 350 peso cost. 2 x id.

And he said he doesn't want to pay foreign transaction fees so a western debit card wouldn't help.

TheMatrix

I believe most banks in the Philippines will offer a secure credit card. I know for sure that BPI and Metrobank offers such credit because I got my girl cards from both to help establish her credit. They give you a credit line which is 80% of your deposited amount. They want 10k minimum deposited. Here's a link for more information:

http://aletplamenco.blogspot.com/2010/09/all-about-having-secured-credit-card.html

A_Simple_Man

I believe most banks in the Philippines will offer a secure credit card. I know for sure that BPI and Metrobank offers such credit because I got my girl cards from both to help establish her credit. They give you a credit line which is 80% of your deposited amount. They want 10k minimum deposited. Here's a link for more information:

http://aletplamenco....redit-card.html

Sure is a funny country. My live in partner just got a credit card delivered by LBC on Monday. She has no job, no job history, no money in the bank, no credit rating. But I happened to mention to my bank manager that she was my common law wife when I opened a convenience account for her with 500 pesos in it. She never applied for the card and doesn't even want it. It has a 30K peso limit and was one of the most foolish banking maneuvers I have ever seen. They must think I am a real nice guy who will surely pay any bills she racks up with it.

:)

TheMatrix

Sure is a funny country. My live in partner just got a credit card delivered by LBC on Monday. She has no job, no job history, no money in the bank, no credit rating. But I happened to mention to my bank manager that she was my common law wife when I opened a convenience account for her with 500 pesos in it. She never applied for the card and doesn't even want it. It has a 30K peso limit and was one of the most foolish banking maneuvers I have ever seen. They must think I am a real nice guy who will surely pay any bills she racks up with it.

:)

Wow! LBC Bank must be really desperate! Hang on, aren't they the ones that went into 'receivership' last week? Next stop, bankruptcy? Perhaps they're giving credit to the wrong people or it's a last minute effort to artificially inflate their numbers... who knows? But, I'll go down to see if I can get one of their cards too. Thanks!

Davaoeno

Wow! LBC Bank must be really desperate! Hang on, aren't they the ones that went into 'receivership' last week? Next stop, bankruptcy? Perhaps they're giving credit to the wrong people or it's a last minute effort to artificially inflate their numbers... who knows? But, I'll go down to see if I can get one of their cards too. Thanks!

I dont think LBC courier and LBC Bank are one and the same Steve lol [ he said it was delivered by LBC ]

A_Simple_Man

Sorry to mislead, but LBC just delivers the credit card. RCBC Savings Bank was the issuer. And I cannot say if they would do it for anyone or this was a freak occurrence. I can say they also sent ME a credit card, unasked for, no security, some 3 years ago and I still use it. Perhaps the secret is to act like you don't need it and then they insist you have one. (And before you ask, the wife's card has nothing to do with my account. I didn't sign anything or ask for it and my name appears nowhere on the card or statement.)

Things are changing in SEA.

I opened an account in Thailand early this year so I could transfer money.

It was a savings/passbook account and came with a Visa Debit/ATM card without asking.

KonGC

TheMatrix

Things are changing in SEA.

I opened an account in Thailand early this year so I could transfer money.

It was a savings/passbook account and came with a Visa Debit/ATM card without asking.

KonGC

Kenny, I would hope that visa debit/atm cards come with the opening of a savings account. I think they started that almost 20 years ago. LOL. How else do you have access to your money for withdrawals/deposits without the card? I think 'tellers" have been going the way of becoming obsolete for the past few years. Only old-farts [and slo-pokes] use them.

visa debit/atm cards come with the opening of a savings account.

It's the "Visa Debit" part that's new.

And still not available in RP when I opend my PNB account about 18 months ago.

They only issued an ATM card

KonGC

He does not say what country he is in, only "In my current country".which I have assumed is the west.

KonGC

And he said he doesn't want to pay foreign transaction fees so a western debit card wouldn't help.

• Like 1

Kenny, I would hope that visa debit/atm cards come with the opening of a savings account. I think they started that almost 20 years ago. LOL. How else do you have access to your money for withdrawals/deposits without the card? I think 'tellers" have been going the way of becoming obsolete for the past few years. Only old-farts [and slo-pokes] use them.

If you could make a deposit without a teller I'd like to know about it. You can't do that through an ATM here that I've seen.

A_Simple_Man

If you could make a deposit without a teller I'd like to know about it. You can't do that through an ATM here that I've seen.

Direct deposit, wire transfer, online fund transfer. I haven't made a deposit at a teller in almost 3 years.

Direct deposit, wire transfer, online fund transfer. I haven't made a deposit at a teller in almost 3 years.

I think all of those options are expensive or time consuming. But I'm always open to new options.

There is the Global Filipino Money Card. This is issued by PNB but you don't need to be a PNB customer to use it. I am trying this for the first time this trip so I will report back later. It is prepaid and issued in PHP or USD.

There is also the Lebara Money card. This seems to work on the basis of paired cards - a card for you and a family card. Useful if you need to send cash as well as using it, but I thought that it was a bit expensive when I looked at their rates.

Smart Money and Globe GCash are ways to send money to your mobile phone, but I have not tried them.