Prepaid Visa or Mastercard in Phil

stevesmoving

stevesmoving

Hi, I was wondering about the general availability of prepaid Visa or Mastercard in the Philippines.

Been there several times but I'm not there now and can't look. I'll be moving soon though.

I don't like carrying cash but I also don't like foreign fees and risk of my current Visa debit card.

In my current country I can walk into a pharmacy or grocery store and buy a Visa or MC from the gift card rack. I take it to the register, they swipe it, I tell them how much I want on it, and after I pay it works everywhere Visa and MC are accepted online or offline. It's just like buying a gift card for a restaurant or store except the card is a fully functioning Visa or MC with none of the paperwork hassle of a bank account.

It costs $5 but I can live with that.

Is there anything like this in the Philippines? I don't want to be using my foreign card. I'd rather keep that locked up using it only at the ATM. Carrying cash is a hassle though because its slow and the change situation.

In Phil can I get a prepaid Visa or MC over the counter? I really don't want to have to trek down to an office and fill out 50 forms to activate it in my name only to later have it suspended when I need it because a bureaucrat at Visa has never seen a foreign ID before. I also don't want to have to open a bank account yet until I'm making things more permanent. Pretty much don't want to sign up for anything...just load it over the counter like many pinoy do with their phones.

Do they have OTC load Visa or MC cards like back home?

Having a locally issued Visa or MC will also make things like online shopping easier. I really don't want to rely on my foreign card for that.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• stevesmoving

• SkyMan

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a cash country. You probally can find something like a Smart Money Credit card or Globe has similar. Yet where to use it? Yes they are catching up and more and more places take it. Yet cash

Unionbank mate. Eon cyber card, easy to get, takes 5 working days. You can fill in online aplication form, and just pick it up. 350 peso cost. 2 x id.

And he said he doesn't want to pay foreign transaction fees so a western debit card wouldn't help.

USMC-Retired

This is a cash country. You probally can find something like a Smart Money Credit card or Globe has similar. Yet where to use it? Yes they are catching up and more and more places take it. Yet cash is king here. Plus with it you will spend an extra 10 mins while they sorta out the various copies and have managers approve your transaction. Fun Fun Fun.

• Like 2
stevesmoving

I am just wondering if this is available. I know my cash will work. I prefer to use a card where they are accepted and I have to use one online or for any recurring payment.

stevesmoving

This is a cash country. You probally can find something like a Smart Money Credit card or Globe has similar. Yet where to use it? Yes they are catching up and more and more places take it. Yet cash is king here. Plus with it you will spend an extra 10 mins while they sorta out the various copies and have managers approve your transaction. Fun Fun Fun.

Are Smart cards the ones you have to take a ton of paperwork into an office? I really don't want to register for something and deal with the red tape and bureaucracy. I am looking for something I can load at the register and have it ready to go that way.

Why not just use a Visa Debit card from your country.

KonGC

mikejwoodnz

KonGC

Right - I have a Visa Debit Card attached to my regular Check Account - I also have a separate Visa Credit Card same bank - different account and a regular ATM and Diners Card with another bank - all in New Zealand - they all work for me at Phil ATMs and I can access them on line. It's cash all the way except for major hotels.

Edited by mikejwoodnz

As an add on to my previous post, you could start an account with your existing bank in your home country with an attached Visa debit card specifically for this use.

Then use on line banking via your home computer to transfer money into that account from your existing secure account as and when you need it.

In RP I would go for Visa rather than Master Card.

KonGC

KonGC

How is that better than a foreign credit card he already said he didn't want to use? I'd personally rather a thief have access to my credit (most credit card companies will forgive charges made by a thief if the theft is reported within 24hours), than let him have direct access to my bank account.

It's cash all the way except for major hotels.

...and restaurants, gas stations, grocerey stores, department stores, yada, yada, yada...all in the metro Cebu area of course.

Edited by SkyMan

How is that better than a foreign credit card he already said he didn't want to use? I'd personally rather a thief have access to my credit (most credit card companies will forgive charges made by a thief if the theft is reported within 24hours), than let him have direct access to my bank account.

I think you miss read my post.

The idea of a dedicated account for his Visa use in RP is so he can limit exposure to his existing account.

If a thief manages to use his Visa it will only cost him what was in that dedicated account.

KonGC.

Unionbank mate.

Eon cyber card, easy to get, takes 5 working days.

You can fill in online aplication form, and just pick it up.

350 peso cost.

2 x id.

• Like 1
stevesmoving

If a thief steals my foreign card I am without a foreign card in a foreign country. Good luck getting that replaced without hassle. Immigration visa renewals are already enough red tape. I don't want any more.

I want anything I can't replace in a safe not walking around with me.

I also want to take a card with me and be able to give it to sites and on the phone if I need while limiting my loss.

That's all.

I am not interested in other options. If I can load money onto a Visa or Mastercard and never risk more than the card then that is great. And if not I go without.

Cash may be king but there are enough places I would like to have a card.

I'm not sure why everybody is trying to talk me away from something I've already found can simplify my life.

I see a ton of things to sign up for and grind out paperwork and documents but nothing like a gift card. If they aren't available then they aren't available.

Well how about that, the few hundred of us here don't know what we're talking about.

Steve (if that's your name), did you even bother to read every post?

I'll spell it out for you.

Go to your bank and tell them what you're doing.

Start a brand new savings or whatever account NOT linked to your existing account and get a debit Visa linked to it..

I don't know what country you are in but here in Australia I can do just that on line. NO PAPERWORK, not even a signature.

Make sure you have internet access to all accounts.

That's it. As you need money on the Visa debit card you just go online and do a transfer between your accounts.

If you lose your card just phone your bank and have them send a new one. (Again, this takes 5 or 6 days with an Oz bank)

If someone finds your card, at worst you lose the small amount of pesos on it, but only if you are tardy notifying the bank of the loss..

KonGC

Kenny, I don't think it is that easy over here, at least not that I know of!

What you get here are only atm cards on your savings accounts.

And in his OP he is talking about the PH.

Edited by Dutchpiet