Sign in to follow this  
scoobie007

Panglao/Bohol trip

scoobie007

Just back from a very nice weekend in Panglao with my gf. Definitely one of my favourite places for just chilling out and relaxing that ive found so far - such a nice break from the city. This was my third visit and I can't see any point in visiting such a fabulous piece of beach without actually staying on the beachfront so decided once again to stay at the Alona Tropical beach resort,ideally located away from the main hustle and bustle of beach activity,but direct access onto the beach. Air con is a must for me so their deluxe rooms at P 2,900 fitted the bill nicely. The swimming pool is very nice and relaxing aswell. I love to take breakfast here,restaurant right on the beachfront - perfect for just people watching & the sea lapping on the shore. American & Filipino breakfast P250. There are however some mosquitoes and although house cleaning and staff do a reasonable job to keep them under control one managed to get through their defences and feast on me. One other point i'm not to keen on is the birds and monkey they keep in small cages in the resort grounds - I just can't see any good reason why animals are kept like this.

Swimming and snorkeling in the water ive found to be very safe - noticeably little or no current,very important if you have small children. Always a good idea idea to use a pair of rubber swimming shoes though to protect from the odd urchin in the shallows. If your a reasonable swimmer then you can venture out 200yds or so where there are some nice intact coral clusters and at around this point is a wall drop off.

This time around we decided to rent a motorbike,one of those 110cc scooter thingy's for P500. Importantly to note Bohol have just introduced the need to wear motorcycle helmets - seemed everyone was hit with this with a weeks notice - so a mad scramble to find a lid !

We decided to venture out of Panglao heading for 'Prony' the Bohol Python then onto the Tarsier Santuary in Corella. We took the coast road leading to Alburquerque and I have to say I was very impressed with the nice wide and well maintained road. A good map to buy is the EZ map of Bohol,nice and detailed. What can I say about 'Prony' - very big snake in a cage !

We then set off along the coast road to Sagnap and it was here we decided to take a left turn towards Sikatuna.....this was in fact a rugged dirt road which turned out to be so much fun - this was my initiation into habal habal mountain road riding ! just a great way of seeing the natural countryside as we wound our way through an amazing landscape....watching families harvest rice in the traditional manner and just the natural beauty of the countryside was pure joy. After an hour or so we reached Corella...time now was 4pm and oh dear the sanctuary closed at 4pm ! just had to laugh really and thought nothing for it but to return another time !

I shall definitely be returning to Bohol for more adventures.

post-5128-0-21734700-1315887855_thumb.jpg

post-5128-0-46311500-1315887879_thumb.jpg

BoholoX

Scoobie

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I was also caught out by the 4.00pm closing at the Tarsier Sanctuary although it was actually only 3.30pm when we got there. You cannot buy a helmet in Tagbiliran for love nor money at the moment, rumour is no open face from next month so most of the riders are going to be mighty peeed off after just buying a new one.

scoobie007

Thanks for the info on the helmets BoholoX, was looking at a few today in Cebu,probably a sensible investment to buy my own - at least ensuring a good fit when next i rent something !