Sign in to follow this  
FirstTimeInCebu

Filing U.S. Taxes while living in the Philippines permanently

Cipro

So I never worried about California, should I? It's not an issue YET but it could be soon.

Headshot

So I never worried about California, should I? It's not an issue YET but it could be soon.

If you have income that was reported to California as having originated there (as in your permanent US address is in California), then you need to file for California. I had the same problem in Utah, so I changed my permanent residence to Nevada (or another state with no state income tax). Luckily, I have a brother who has a house there.

Edited by Headshot

tokyoman
I changed my permanent residence to Nevada (or another state with no state income tax). Luckily, I have a brother who has a house there.

Houses are so dam cheap in Nevada there it might be worth buying one and you then no need to pay state taxes

Cipro

I have to form a Delaware corp to pursue some contracts anyway, they also offer mail forwarding. Maybe it would be worth it. California is lovely but it's full of nutbags.

Headshot

Houses are so dam cheap in Nevada there it might be worth buying one and you then no need to pay state taxes

It might be if I didn't have a brother living there. Free is better than cheap.

saigon46

My biggest issue with filing online is internet security. Do you really want to give your bank info at a Filipino Cafe?

Cipro

My biggest issue with filing online is internet security. Do you really want to give your bank info at a Filipino Cafe?

You don't have a laptop?

afmayer

I believe most Internet Cafe's here use "Deep Freeze" (or something similar). Just make sure they reboot after you use it and any remnants of your usage will be gone.

Cipro

I believe most Internet Cafe's here use "Deep Freeze" (or something similar). Just make sure they reboot after you use it and any remnants of your usage will be gone.

Assuming you trust the cafe operator, which I wouldn't unless I knew them, and maybe not then.

afmayer

Assuming you trust the cafe operator, which I wouldn't unless I knew them, and maybe not then.

That's why I said "make sure"... meaning stand there and make sure they reboot. I have done this before.

Cipro

That's why I said "make sure"... meaning stand there and make sure they reboot. I have done this before.

And that will prevent them from installing a keylogger as part of the boot image or from sniffing your network traffic ... oh wait, no it won't.

afmayer

And that will prevent them from installing a keylogger as part of the boot image or from sniffing your network traffic ... oh wait, no it won't.

And they would bother to do this for Filipino customers (majority) they have? There is something to be gained from snooping a customer that has to use a cafe for internet access?

saigon46

And Broadband is a secure connection on a laptop?

enoonmai

And Broadband is a secure connection on a laptop?

As secure as you make it.

Cipro

And they would bother to do this for Filipino customers (majority) they have? There is something to be gained from snooping a customer that has to use a cafe for internet access?

I've seen people (lots, filipinas) end up with their YM and FB accounts hacked after going into the wrong cafe. It's easy, free, and so why would someone so inclined NOT do it?