Sign in to follow this  
FirstTimeInCebu

Filing U.S. Taxes while living in the Philippines permanently

saigon46

My biggest issue with filing online is internet security. Do you really want to give your bank info at a Filipino Cafe?

Cipro

My biggest issue with filing online is internet security. Do you really want to give your bank info at a Filipino Cafe?

You don't have a laptop?

afmayer

I believe most Internet Cafe's here use "Deep Freeze" (or something similar). Just make sure they reboot after you use it and any remnants of your usage will be gone.

Cipro

I believe most Internet Cafe's here use "Deep Freeze" (or something similar). Just make sure they reboot after you use it and any remnants of your usage will be gone.

Assuming you trust the cafe operator, which I wouldn't unless I knew them, and maybe not then.

afmayer

Assuming you trust the cafe operator, which I wouldn't unless I knew them, and maybe not then.

That's why I said "make sure"... meaning stand there and make sure they reboot. I have done this before.

Cipro

That's why I said "make sure"... meaning stand there and make sure they reboot. I have done this before.

And that will prevent them from installing a keylogger as part of the boot image or from sniffing your network traffic ... oh wait, no it won't.

afmayer

And that will prevent them from installing a keylogger as part of the boot image or from sniffing your network traffic ... oh wait, no it won't.

And they would bother to do this for Filipino customers (majority) they have? There is something to be gained from snooping a customer that has to use a cafe for internet access?

saigon46

And Broadband is a secure connection on a laptop?

enoonmai

As secure as you make it.

Cipro

And they would bother to do this for Filipino customers (majority) they have? There is something to be gained from snooping a customer that has to use a cafe for internet access?

I've seen people (lots, filipinas) end up with their YM and FB accounts hacked after going into the wrong cafe. It's easy, free, and so why would someone so inclined NOT do it?

Cipro

Broadband is sort of imprecise, but in the end, it's about who you decide to trust. I trust that most of my traffic is unlikely to be of interest to an ISP. The interesting stuff is either TLS, VPN, or both.

Jack_be_nimble

Interesting topic, and good info.  I'm living here for all of 2013.  On no income, just savings, until I can collect SS in 2 years.

I still have a valid driver's license from a tax state (MA). But, I moved to Florida in October 2012, but never converted my license to FL. I sold my car and turned in my MA plates to that states MV.  I have changed all my bank accounts to an address in FL. I did sell a house in FL, but made next to nothing on it.  So, now, my only address is a forwarding service in FL ( besides my RP address).

I'm wondering if I'm still considered a resident of MA by some weird state tax 'hook'. But I have not stepped inside that state since October 2012.

Wonder what good proof I'd need, if it becomes an issue. Ya know how the gov can be.

Edited by Jack_be_nimble

Salty Dog

I've found that many cafes have you download to a file to print. You have to be sure you delete your files after your done. Rebooting won't do it. I've seen hundreds of other peoples print files in download print folder. I've always just deleted my print files without even asking them.

SkyMan

Interesting topic, and good info.  I'm living here for all of 2013.  On no income, just savings, until I can collect SS in 2 years.

I still have a valid driver's license from a tax state (MA). But, I moved to Florida in October 2012, but never converted my license to FL. I sold my car and turned in my MA plates to that states MV.  I have changed all my bank accounts to an address in FL. I did sell a house in FL, but made next to nothing on it.  So, now, my only address is a forwarding service in FL ( besides my RP address).

I'm wondering if I'm still considered a resident of MA by some weird state tax 'hook'. But I have not stepped inside that state since October 2012.

Wonder what good proof I'd need, if it becomes an issue. Ya know how the gov can be.

You should be all right having had a FL address/utility bills/etc. but some states can be real pricks about taxes.  I knew a couple that worked for the US gov't and lived in MD.  They were assigned to work in England for 5 years and sold their home to do so leaving them with no US address.  When they returned they bought a house in VA.  MD said they owed 5 years back taxes because they took the assignment to England to avoid MD taxes.

Monsoon

I had a problem with this once (state taxes). What I was told by a professional is:

I should have cancelled my driver license (by getting a driver license in a state that doesn't have income tax), and do other things to declare myself a resident of a state with no state income tax. 

some states are very aggressive at going after this type of revenue. If you find yourself in this situation you will learn that the burden of proof is upon you - so CYA.

passingby

Hop over to Guam and get a Guam DL.  Use your hotel or motel address for that.  The advantage of Guam also is that it is a NO sales tax territory and in some states IF you come from a state or location where there is no sales tax it is not colleted from you there (should you go back to the states for a visit).  With the Florida remail address and a Guam DL you sure should be considered a non resident of MA. 

MaKe

April 15th is the deadline for it being in US hands

Since I moved abroad, I have NEVER filed on 15 April.  If you live abroad you may apply for  a 3 month extension...

SkyMan

Since I moved abroad, I have NEVER filed on 15 April.  If you live abroad you may apply for  a 3 month extension...

Anyone can file for an extension but an extension to file is not an extension to pay.  If you owe and the owed amount is not postmarked by April 15th (US postmarked, not RP), you will owe late payment penalty and interest.

MaKe

Anyone can file for an extension but an extension to file is not an extension to pay.  If you owe and the owed amount is not postmarked by April 15th (US postmarked, not RP), you will owe late payment penalty and interest.

Absolutely Correct.  Thanks for clarifying!  Since I've not owed tax in the past 10 years, it hasn't been an issue. 

Rocketman

Greetings! You pay U.S. Federal tax only. Not state or local tax.

Be careful on this.  I use a local address of my sister in North Carolina and NC taxes were withheld before I could correct it.  I got it refunded, but it was a pain.