Sign in to follow this  
Salvatore

Airline And Apartment Help For Newbie Please

Salvatore

I have been doing a little research on the Philippines. I am originally from New York and now live in North Carolina, USA. Raleigh/Durham Airport is near me. I would like to visit the Philippines and noticed Cebu might be for me. I would like to visit for the 59 day Visa I can get, possibly extend it when I'm there.

First off I would like to know what anybody can recommend for me. As all US citizens I guess I'm a little spoiled when it comes to accommodations. My online work must have a very high speed reliable internet connection. I need a very clean apartment (preferably new) with air conditioning and a separate shower with hot water. And naturally in a very safe area for Americans. Also I would not like to be in the heart of the city if it has allot of smog in the air. I do like quiet when I'm trying to sleep. I like the beach, malls, movie theaters and night clubs so I would not like to be too far as taxi fees will add up. Maybe the price can be around $500.00 US per month. I would also like to avoid the first and last month, security deposit fees if possible or use the extra month deposit for my second month of stay.

I would like to come in the beginning or middle of December, 2007 and stay until the beginning or middle of February, 2008. I have checked airline fees and they all seem to be around the $1600.00 US price for round trip, one person. This seems very high and I use travelocity to get my airline prices.

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction for an apartment and good airline fares. Maybe I'm asking for too much, I hope somebody can help the newbie here. Is Cebu what I'm looking for?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and have a nice day.

Alan S

Just a couple of points.

Taxi fares in Cebu are so low that they can almost be discounted. At least, compared to prices in the UK /US /EU /OZ.

As for airline prices, December is THE worst month to travel, regarding price.

Every Filipino wants to go home and see their family for Christmas, so many flights are fully booked way in advance.

Having said that, in my opinion, Cebu is one of the best places in the Philippines. It has plenty of shopping malls with western style shops, and as there is a considerable western ex-pat population, many carry western goods.

At the same time, it isnt as busy and crowded as Manila.

There is an international airport, thus avoiding transits at Manila, and long land journeys or inter-island travel.

I am sure that others will answer the rest of your questions.

AlbinoPrincess
I have been doing a little research on the Philippines. I am originally from New York and now live in North Carolina, USA. Raleigh/Durham Airport is near me. I would like to visit the Philippines and noticed Cebu might be for me. I would like to visit for the 59 day Visa I can get, possibly extend it when I'm there.

First off I would like to know what anybody can recommend for me. As all US citizens I guess I'm a little spoiled when it comes to accommodations. My online work must have a very high speed reliable internet connection. I need a very clean apartment (preferably new) with air conditioning and a separate shower with hot water. And naturally in a very safe area for Americans. Also I would not like to be in the heart of the city if it has allot of smog in the air. I do like quiet when I'm trying to sleep. I like the beach, malls, movie theaters and night clubs so I would not like to be too far as taxi fees will add up. Maybe the price can be around $500.00 US per month. I would also like to avoid the first and last month, security deposit fees if possible or use the extra month deposit for my second month of stay.

I would like to come in the beginning or middle of December, 2007 and stay until the beginning or middle of February, 2008. I have checked airline fees and they all seem to be around the $1600.00 US price for round trip, one person. This seems very high and I use travelocity to get my airline prices.

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction for an apartment and good airline fares. Maybe I'm asking for too much, I hope somebody can help the newbie here. Is Cebu what I'm looking for?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and have a nice day.

Hey, Salvatore! Welcome to the forum! I'm going to have to let the guys give you some more specific answers, but wanted to point out a few things that I thought of as I read your post.

1. Unless things have changed and something has happened that I don't know about, when you enter the Philippines you will receive a 21 day tourist visa. If you want to stay longer than 21 days you can renew it for 38 days, which will give you the 59 day visa. Then, if you want to, you can renew every 59 days for up to one or two years. (It used to be one year and they are extending it to two years, but I don't know when the change takes place.) If you are staying in Cebu, renewing your visa won't be a problem as there is an American consulate on Cebu.

2. When you say the price can be around $500.00 a month I assume that you mean just for rent. I will let the other get into some particulars about rent. I am sure that you will be able to find a place for that amount, but I haven't really checked out places in that price range. When I move to Cebu, I want to find a place for $100-$150 a month, $200 max. Of course, I probably won't have an air con or hot water, but I've lived without those before. =)

3. The reason the place ticket price is so high is because of flying in December. Everyone is traveling for the holidays and it drives up prices. If you could wait until the middle of January to leave, ticket prices should go down at least a little. Is that price on travelocity with or without taxes and fees??

Salvatore

Thank you very much for your replies. This is a very nice forum, friendly people.

Your right about the December travel. I put in November 29'th - Jan. 28'th and it's $1200.00 including taxes to Manila. So I will leave at the end of November. Then I assume I jump on a Philippine Airline flight to Cebu. Trying to go direct to Cebu on travelocity takes you to Hong Kong first, then Cebu and its $1600.00. I think Philippine Airlines only costs around $100.00 round trip. Not sure of the better way to do this. I know I am going to be exhausted from the long travel time so maybe paying more is better, don't know.

I read on this website: http://www.gov.ph/faqs/visa.asp that if I send my passport here to my local consular then I could get the extension before I even leave. Not sure what is the easier and smarter way to do this either.

I was hoping for a real nice place for $500.00 per month, rent only. If it's cheaper that is fine with me. One bedroom size is plenty big enough.

Thanks for any more responses anybody may offer me. Thanks again, Sal

islandhopper
Thank you very much for your replies. This is a very nice forum, friendly people.

Your right about the December travel. I put in November 29'th - Jan. 28'th and it's $1200.00 including taxes to Manila. So I will leave at the end of November. Then I assume I jump on a Philippine Airline flight to Cebu. Trying to go direct to Cebu on travelocity takes you to Hong Kong first, then Cebu and its $1600.00. I think Philippine Airlines only costs around $100.00 round trip. Not sure of the better way to do this. I know I am going to be exhausted from the long travel time so maybe paying more is better, don't know.

I read on this website: http://www.gov.ph/faqs/visa.asp that if I send my passport here to my local consular then I could get the extension before I even leave. Not sure what is the easier and smarter way to do this either.

I was hoping for a real nice place for $500.00 per month, rent only. If it's cheaper that is fine with me. One bedroom size is plenty big enough.

Thanks for any more responses anybody may offer me. Thanks again, Sal

Hi Sal

Me and my wife are also comming to Cebu end of November, We purchased out tickets directly from the Cathay Pacific web sight for around $1400 per ticket several months ago, (It may be higher now) Personally I would pay extra and fly Cathay Pacific, (Hong Kong to Cebu), Take it from me going through Manila, having your bags searched and transferring to the domestic airport is a real pain in the as* :crack-up:

BBQ Joe
Hi Sal

Me and my wife are also comming to Cebu end of November, We purchased out tickets directly from the Cathay Pacific web sight for around $1400 per ticket several months ago, (It may be higher now) Personally I would pay extra and fly Cathay Pacific, (Hong Kong to Cebu), Take it from me going through Manila, having your bags searched and transferring to the domestic airport is a real pain in the as* :crack-up:

Hello Sal,

AM I correct in assuming this will be your first trip to the Philippines? Is the trip for R & R or work related? There are lots of does and dont's that will be good to know before you get there. Im new to this forum and have never been to Cebu (hope to rectify that in August) but I would be glad to answer any general questions you have. As someone mentioned before, you can get an extended visa when you are there. I would NOT send your passport to your local consular now as it might not come back in time for your trip. You are traveling during high season so expect high price tickets and a full airplane.Travelers checks are not the way to go and carrying lots of cash isn't a great idea either. Can someone with more Cebu knowledge let Sal know what ATM banks are around? What other questions do you have?

BBQ Joe

AKA....Steve

Salvatore

Sounds like Hong Kong to Cebu is the way to go via Cathay Pacific. Thanks for that information.

I am going on vacation to relax but I must work everyday online as I do business on my computer. Does not matter where I am, which is good. Only for about an hour though, it's just that I can't leave my computer for long periods of time in case a customer needs support unfortunately. My money goes automatically into my bank in the USA and then to my ATM card. So any information on money conversion would be nice also.

It looks like I have the airline covered, now I would just like some more links to accommodations with the requirements that I first posted in this thread.

Thanks to everybody for your kind help. I can tell I will have fun just by the responses I am getting in this forum.

Oh, maybe some links to pictures and videos of Cebu would be nice too.

Thanks again, Sal

Edited by Salvatore

Mailman
1. Unless things have changed and something has happened that I don't know about, when you enter the Philippines you will receive a 21 day tourist visa. If you want to stay longer than 21 days you can renew it for 38 days, which will give you the 59 day visa. Then, if you want to, you can renew every 59 days for up to one or two years. (It used to be one year and they are extending it to two years, but I don't know when the change takes place.) If you are staying in Cebu, renewing your visa won't be a problem as there is an American consulate on Cebu.

Just wanted to point out a bit of misinformation here... The American Consulate has absolutely nothing to do with extending your tourist visa. That is done at the Philippine Bureau of Immigration.

Edited by Mailman

Bob Ward

The reason you don't see alot of posts for accomodations is that your requirements are somewhat inapplicable. You will not find too many apartments for short term rental. The "new" componenet will be prohibitive as well. Your best bet is going to be one of the better pension houses for the price you seek.

Edited by Bob Ward

Alan S
Oh, maybe some links to pictures and videos of Cebu would be nice too.

Jim Sibbick's site has some videos of Cebu and some other areas of the Philippines.

http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/

Salvatore

Thanks for the pictures and videos link.

Now I would just like some links for accommodations for at least two months, maybe more. Thanks again

AlbinoPrincess
Just wanted to point out a bit of misinformation here... The American Consulate has absolutely nothing to do with extending your tourist visa. That is done at the Philippine Bureau of Immigration.
Oops! Sorry for the misinformation! Which building is over close to the fire station in Manduae? Well...at least that was the location when I was living there in 2000-2001.I never actually renewed my own visa. I took my passport to a reputable travel agency that a friend recommended, paid them a fee and let them renew things for me.
Can someone with more Cebu knowledge let Sal know what ATM banks are around?
My debit card has a Mastercard symbol on it. I normally used the ATMs at Ayala or SM, but you can find other ATMs as you go around the City. Just look for one that has the VISA or Mastercard symbol on it.

Salvatore

Can somebody PM some links for accommodations please?

I want the Cebu area but I was wondering where can you go where there are no polluted beaches from the rivers?

I just want to live nearby a high quality, clean beach if possible.

Also I cannot work online with long electric brownout periods.

Please point me in the right direction as I am booking my flight next week.

Thanks very much, Sal

Bob Ward
Can somebody PM some links for accommodations please?

I want the Cebu area but I was wondering where can you go where there are no polluted beaches from the rivers?

I just want to live nearby a high quality, clean beach if possible.

Also I cannot work online with long electric brownout periods.

Please point me in the right direction as I am booking my flight next week.

Thanks very much, Sal

Sal, I've tried telling you subtly that what you seek is not available. You are asking for somehting that nobody can really help you with. Accomodations come and go on a daily basis. Your best bet is to come and get a hotel for a week or so and then search from there. FYI, Cebu is not a "beach" city, even though it's on the water. Mactan Island is a possibility, but probably not at the rates you stated. To find beaches like you are requesting, you will need to go out of town, north or south, and it will be a good distance. 10-20 km or so. Then you will get into the intermittant internet issues that we all face here. There is no nirvana, only compromise!

Edited by Bob Ward

Salvatore

Okay, thanks for that Bob. I usually look for the impossible.

My main thing is a good internet connection for work and a nice clean place. I would rather save some money on rent than live near a good beach for compromise.

I guess the hotels cost allot per night. Maybe somebody could recommend some hotels that are nice with reasonable rates?

I want to come around the end of November. Thanks again, Sal