Sign in to follow this  
InternetTough

Languages---Which One is More Useful, Tagalog or Visayan?

InternetTough

Which one is more useful, in your situation, and which one is easier to learn?

Mailman

If you live in Luzon or watch a lot of Filipino TV, then go for Tagalog. Otherwise, learn the language of the area you reside.

• Like 1

Bob Ward

Mailman I will beg to differ. Tagalog is the national language. Cebuanos understand it and speak it reasonably well, although with a very discernible accent detectable by native Tagalog Speakers! If you learn Tagalog, not matter where you go in the Phils, you will make out OK. And after you know Tagalog, you are almost halfway there to learning Bisaya!

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Like 2

Davaoeno

When we went to Palawan my gf had problems several times in not being understood because many of the tricycle drivers only spoke Ilonggo lol

I would tend to agree with Mailman tho.

Wombat No More

Just a footnote to the above...

Around 65 to 70% speak Visaya in the country, as their first language. Tagalog is not the first language to the remaining 30% or so but only the greater % of them. If one frequents the little remote parts of Provinces, you are less likely to come across people who speak any other than Visayas and other local dialects. People in 2/3 of the country would rather converse in Visaya but as said above, Tagalog is at least understood by the majority. :biggrin_01:

ArieBombarie

Which one is more useful, in your situation, and which one is easier to learn?

do you need an advise put down the situation

in my case, I am just there for 50 days a year or so, there are plenty of languages that make more sense to learn than either, besides some basics, I speak 4 languages (in different degrees) so if one matches a national language of a country I expect we already got a common language, if you settle permanent it is good fun to learn the local language I guess

I don't expect people who live here who speak English to bother with learning Dutch unless it prevents them of taking care of themselves in our society (it isn't needed for plenty of jobs), sure I appreciate it if they do but I also wonder why they waste their time on such an obscure language (and I am sure there is written a lot more interesting stuff in Dutch than Tagalog)

ArieBombarie

When we went to Palawan my gf had problems several times in not being understood because many of the tricycle drivers only spoke Ilonggo lol

I would tend to agree with Mailman tho.

yep my family speak tagalog but are out of their dept anywhere else (although learning visayan), if you are going to live in Cebu and learn tagalog you are doing nobody favors, they rather speak english than the language of the dominant north

rainymike

In Davao, Visayan is the language of the locals. But in the private schools English and Tagalog are taught. For the kids, well of course, I prefer English and Tagalog. They pick up enough conversational visayan in informal life. But for their futures (I envision them ultimately going to college in Manila or overseas) I choose English and Tagalog for their formal education.

As for me, the ignorant barbarian, English with a sprinkling of visayan/tagalog is good enough. I always apologize for being an ignorant barbarian, but the trike drivers, taxi drivers, salegirls, sari stores, barber, countergirls, the maid, etc. seem to be able to communicate with me in English. Of course, I'm an old fart and my brain doesn't pick up languages so fast anymore. However, the kids have met me 95% of the way and in short time (a year) have learned plenty of conversational English.

SkyMan

I totally agree with Mailman. Tagolog is only one of the national languages as English is also a national language and is probably more widely understood than Tagolog. The fact that either is a national language is only a gov't decree and does not mean they are well known by all. Unfortunately only English and Tagolog are taught in the schools but that hasn't been for long and doesn't say a lot. Math is also taught in schools yet precious few can do math without a calculator. Decide on where you plan to live and learn the language there. If you marry, learn her language.

As for which is easier to learn the answer is unfortunately Tagolog. This is not because of any difference in the two languages but because there are far more teachers and materials available to learn Tagolog. I also think that learning one could possibly make it more difficult to learn the other as you would really have to set the one you know aside so as to not get the two garbled.

My wife speaks Visayan so I have been studying it but I have a long way to go. I also have workers from the mountains who know only Visayan and it's sure handy to communicate with them though to make sure a detailed instruction gets across I ask my wife to explain. I have no desire to watch any of the Tagolog TV dribble, however, one of the TV Patrol news casts is in Cebuano and I may start watching that though I'm not a big fan of watching the news.

Edited by SkyMan

shadow

Tagalog has it's uses, but once in the out of the way places in the south, English is more widely known than is Tagalog.

My experience. I'm with mailman.

Larry in Dumaguete

ArieBombarie

one of the TV Patrol news casts is in Cebuano and I may start watching that though I'm not a big fan of watching the news.

I watch the news in whatever language I can see it, it is a good way to pick up words and get familiar with the language because the subject is usually pretty obvious, the news in visayan is local I think but good to know who got killed in the next street or what regional public holiday is on

• Like 1

Stranded Shipscook

Tagalog is way easier to learn, they have tons of Audio/Visual learning material, the Grammar is easier and a bit more "logical" (if we consider 'subjectively" Latin as a measure stick ) It has also less 'dialectical" varieties than Visayan, which is very different in the intonation and slang even in close by communities. Every Visayan person could tell where one comes from based upon the accent.

But Tagalog is also no problem to use it in the famous "taglish" way, quite normal actually, so the use of the language after a very short time is already very practical for everyone.

Having said that, it is more or less useless in the Visayan (Cebu). Although many people understand you, they will have certain resentments.

Better then just to learn a few phrases in Visayan for the start and speak English. And then step by step build it up the hard way. "Visayanish" isn't very common.

I just hope, that sooner or later there will be more learning guides and material available for Visayan.

But in the past 13 years there has not been much progress made.

Psst!

Learning tagalog is more practical since it’s widely spoken. Tagalog is used as a medium of instruction in History and Filipino classes starting the first grade, so anyone who has been to school is expected to write and speak tagalog fluently. Taglish is widely use in business transactions, so learning Tagalog is more useful and beneficial.

However, I imagine being able to speak the local language enables you to experience and learn the culture in a different taste, which will help you adapt and integrate in the local community more easily, which will hopefully make you’re stay a little more pleasant. So, if you plan on staying in the Cebu area, you might consider learning Bisaya. The locals will appreciate you choosing their own language Bisaya over Tagalog- a bastardized version of Pilipino and English masquerading as the national language. Ehemm. Sorry I got a little carried away. :biggrin_01:

Edited by Psst!

Mang Kanor

As far as i know History is in english. taglish is only use in Luzon area.

cebuano peeps using tagalog in a bisaya community will result to embarrassment especially if he/she have a stiff tongue.

anyway if you live in an area who speaks tagalog, its fitting to learn tagalog if youre in a bisaya community then Bisaya would be good

Guest JSL

Skyman's got it right. The easiest language is the one you started first. But that doesn't make learning the other easier and in fact maybe harder. I was in a Cebuano class with Skyman and I was constanly using Tagalog words and being reprimanded by the teacher. Regardless, ones chances of fluency with either one after the age of 50 is slim to none and Slim left for Bangkok.

As director of the RAO I met several Kano that spoke Cebuano and I would always ask Ron, the office mngr if they spoke it really good. Not so, was her reply. Of course that shouldn't stop anyone from trying. I think Filipinos appreciate hearing a Kano trying. Quite often I get laughed at but it is always good humor.

John