Malaria?

Just getting prepared for my short 3 week trip in November and as always there's Travel Clinic recommendations before you go. Last time I went for 3 months and traveled all over and they recommended I get malaria pills before I left so I did. But for a three week trip to Cebu? I have never heard of anyone contacting Malaria in the PHilippines - just wondering what if any experience anyone has had with Malaria or if anyone has even heard of someone catching it?

Quite possibly an easy money grab for travel clinics?

I'm always relaxed, just was curious - I had never heard any horror stories - but maybe tha'ts because people took the medication. Just hate paying for something "fear" based, and as a cash grab. Although, once in Bohol I thought I got Malaria and was dying. had a nasty sickness for about 12 hours and figured I was going down for the count. Luckily after 12 hours of sweating, and freezing and vomiting, and crapping - and no sleep - it suddenly - it just passed and all was good, after a long nap and some re-hydration. Never felt that sick in my life, even when I had some bad food poisoning here - seemed way more intense, whatever it was.

Wombat No More

Before I moved here 8 years ago, I looked into this same subject and found information that, while there is malaria in the Philippines, it is not present in Cebu. There were no doctors I spoke to in Australia who believed that and all said I needed this and that medications. One even shouted at me the 'fact' that I needed medication against the disease.

I reckon the doctors are simply misinformed and lump all of the Philippines into a malaria zone because it is present in a lot of places. We have more to worry about with dengue fever and for that, all you can do is ensure you protect yourself around dawn and dusk when the carrier species of this are active. I got dengue in the first 12 months here and it wasn't so bad a thing. I'm immune to that strain now but the trouble is, there are 4 types and I'm not immune to the other 3.

I believe that only Palawan is within the Malaria belt for the Philippines. Then again some of the southwest islands could be, not many of us guys goes go that way!

biggest fear for me here is Dengue as opposed to Malaria, I seem to get bitten by the odd mozzie but no bad effects apart from infernal itching,all the info ive come across suggests Malaria is not a concern in Cebu.A good defence against insect bites is to use OFF lotion,available from chemists,pharmacies and supermarkets, a variety of smoke products are also available.

The Bataan peninsular (including Subic) is reputed to be a maleria zone, as are some of the smaller islands and more remote places.

Manila, Cebu, and the higher mountains are, allegedly, clear of it.

But, as others have said, best to make sure you dont get bitten.

Stranded Shipscook

As far as Malaria is concerned there are no cases in Cebu. Now there are people which have it, but they got it from other places.

(Palawan)

Cebu is quite elevated and there are no real large swampy areas here so the Anophelese Mosquito isn't around here. And even if he would be, he first need a malaria victim to suck on to spread the desease. Since there aren't any, he can't transmit.

Dengue and other stuff is here !

Japanese Encephalitis (sp?)...? thats also on the list ..... whatever that is. I knew someone who got Dengue Fever - didnt sound fun but it doesn't kill as far as I know but would be a bitch to get. It's $35 just to walk into the travel clinic - then if I'm reading this correctly it would be about $150 more for the variety of shots / treatment they recommend to visit the Philippines.... I'm in the wrong business clearly.

hookedtothenet

I believe that only Palawan is within the Malaria belt for the Philippines. Then again some of the southwest islands could be, not many of us guys goes go that way!

Yes, That's what I got told also by a Doctor here when I was sick and asked where about's I had been travelling, once I told her that I hadn't been anywhere near Palawan she quickly ruled out Malaria.

udonthani

risk is not confined only to Palawan. Somebody I know contracted in Masbate. He reckoned he couldn't have got it anywhere else. You can get it in a few places in the Philippines but I never heard of anybody getting malaria in Cebu or immeadiate surrounds. This is not to say it is not possible.

Well after my visit to the Travel Medical Centre here - they "malaria map" of the Philippines shows Palawan, Northern Luzon, and Mindanao as high risk areas - however, most of the Visayas is not on the "warning" area apparently so didn't need anything for that. But apparently, I was eligible for a free Mumps and Rubela(sp?) booster shot, and all this time I thought I had got my Hep A/B twinrix shots several years ago. Turns out I only had my Hep A done - so immediately asked for a Hep B injection haha...

• 1 month later...

Japanese Encephalitis (sp?)...? thats also on the list ..... whatever that is. I knew someone who got Dengue Fever - didnt sound fun but it doesn't kill as far as I know but would be a bitch to get. It's $35 just to walk into the travel clinic - then if I'm reading this correctly it would be about $150 more for the variety of shots / treatment they recommend to visit the Philippines.... I'm in the wrong business clearly.

Did you ever find out the risk for Japanese Encephalitis? That is on my vaccine list as well. It is a series of 2 shots a couple of weeks apart at $200 a pop sooooo, if the risk is low I will take my chances!

Did you ever find out the risk for Japanese Encephalitis? That is on my vaccine list as well. It is a series of 2 shots a couple of weeks apart at $200 a pop sooooo, if the risk is low I will take my chances!

Well - the doctor a the travel clinic said I shouldn't worry too much unless i planned to be in the jungle and certain areas for long periods of time. Which I won't be during this 3 week trip - so I did not get it, and I did not get it either last time during my 3 month trip so... Im no doctor, but in my unprofessional opinion - I wouldn't worry much - but take that for what is - an amateur travellers opinion. Hope you enjoy your trip - I leave Friday phewwww can't wait.