Sign in to follow this  
Athena

Invalid Stream Format - What does it mean?

Athena

My son changed the OS on my pc to windows 7 from vista and also put google chrome to have faster internet browsing than the IE7 i was struggling with. I have all my old files copied and installed back after the OS changed. It seems everything is fine at first glance. BUT ............

The big but was, it wipes out the MS office package that comes pre installed with the PC. All my files are in MS office format and i cannot open my (old) files. I am not pc literate and knows only the application that is of most use to me. i seems to be here and everywhere in finding a solution. i eventually stumbled on the notepad and downloaded it.

Again, the notedpad is fine at first glance. i can a make new word documents but still it doesnt solve my main problem of opening old files. the notepad has become irritating after awhile as it has only basic functions.

Though i can make word documents, i cannot make spreadsheet files (i use spreadsheets a lot) so my search continues ........... I eventually stumbled on "Free file Opener" and downloaded it. Again, same as the notepad it has limited functions but i can live with it (in the meantime). Free file opener allows me to open my old files both the word and spreadsheet applications and work on them. I thought GREAT - problem solved! huh, i wish!!! :scratch_head:

As it turns out the "Free File Opener" cannot open excel spreadsheets that are passworded. it wont even give me a window asking for the password. And a lot of my old spreadsheet files are passworded. if i clicked on these passworded files, it gives me a window saying, "error loading file - invalid stream format"

What the hell is "invalid stream format?????

Better still, how can i open my old passworded excel spreadsheet files without buying an MS office package????

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Athena

UZI

My son changed the OS on my pc to windows 7 from vista and also put google chrome to have faster internet browsing than the IE7 i was struggling with. I have all my old files copied and installed back after the OS changed. It seems everything is fine at first glance. BUT ............

The big but was, it wipes out the MS office package that comes pre installed with the PC. All my files are in MS office format and i cannot open my (old) files. I am not pc literate and knows only the application that is of most use to me. i seems to be here and everywhere in finding a solution. i eventually stumbled on the notepad and downloaded it.

Again, the notedpad is fine at first glance. i can a make new word documents but still it doesnt solve my main problem of opening old files. the notepad has become irritating after awhile as it has only basic functions.

Though i can make word documents, i cannot make spreadsheet files (i use spreadsheets a lot) so my search continues ........... I eventually stumbled on "Free file Opener" and downloaded it. Again, same as the notepad it has limited functions but i can live with it (in the meantime). Free file opener allows me to open my old files both the word and spreadsheet applications and work on them. I thought GREAT - problem solved! huh, i wish!!! :animal0019:

As it turns out the "Free File Opener" cannot open excel spreadsheets that are passworded. it wont even give me a window asking for the password. And a lot of my old spreadsheet files are passworded. if i clicked on these passworded files, it gives me a window saying, "error loading file - invalid stream format"

What the hell is "invalid stream format?????

Better still, how can i open my old passworded excel spreadsheet files without buying an MS office package????

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Athena

Hi Athena,

Try OpenOffice to replace your MS Office, it's free to use:

http://why.openoffice.org/

I don't know if it will help with your password protected files though. Try it as it is free.

Try also MS Excel Viewer, also free

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10

Athena

i think it was an open office file opener i had downloaded which wasnt much help with the passworded spreadsheets. but i will have a look at the MS excel viewer tonight. thank you!!!

UZI

i think it was an open office file opener i had downloaded which wasnt much help with the passworded spreadsheets. but i will have a look at the MS excel viewer tonight. thank you!!!

The Open Office suite of programs was there because of this:

Though i can make word documents, i cannot make spreadsheet files (i use spreadsheets a lot) so my search continues

Take a look at CALC on this page and the other programs too:

http://why.openoffice.org/why_great.html

Chas

Did the upgrade actually remove all the Microsoft Office applications? Or just mess up the links to them.

Do a search for Excel.Exe on your PC. If you find it double click on it and see if it opens. On my PC the path is C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Excel.Exe

I see Play.com has Office Home & Student 2007 on sale for £69.99 and you can load it on up to three PCs. The later 2010 version is £90

Or put all your password protected files on a memory stick and find a friend with Office - remove the password protection then use OpenOffice on your PC.

Good luck.

Edit to strike through original suggestion. Just googled the problem and found this. Looks like the programs could be in a Windows.Old folder. Their solution looks difficult. http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/83725-upgraded-windows-7-lost-office-programs.html

Edited by Chas