Sign in to follow this  
Easyrider

Teach Filipinos how to use the correct Gender Words.

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does your girlfriend or wife use the correct gender words?

• Yes, she is always correct.
    • Yes, she gets it right more than half the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right about half of the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right sometimes.
    • Yes, she gets it right but not very often.
    • No, she always uses the wrong word.

Wheely

I have been around Filipinos for several years now and have noticed that most of them do not use gender words correctly.

In 2006 I took a Filipina to America and was amazed that she used the words he and she incorrectly 100% of the time. She should have gotten it correct about 50% of the time. I thought maybe the teachers were teaching the students wrong but could never prove if it’s true or not.

Every time I heard her use a wrong gender word I would correct her and she appreciated it. After about 2 ½ years she still used the wrong word every time but would immediately correct herself.

This week I made a list of gender words and some other words that I have heard used incorrectly very often by Filipinos. I used Microsoft Word so you can add to it or make any changes you like. You can use it to teach your girlfriend or family.

Sometimes it’s very difficult a follow a conversation when talking about a man and woman when a Filipino says she but is actually talking about him. I hope this will help you teach the correct words to use. You can print it so it’s always available to use.

not only flippinos but most of Asiatic's get the he & she mixed up when chatting in english

Stranded Shipscook

unless I was mistaken, it means to say something like; foolish foreigner, go out and have some fun or you might go crazy

if I am not mistaken most Filipino's think you are pretty crazy to spend your time nit picking and arguing when you could have fun

ps. hopefully I am wrong and we managed to lure a real expert into the convo

this is what it literally means in its expression. I spoke "taglish" fluent in the eighties and it was an often used expression (in a humouros way of course)

Now, reading this and the entire thread, it carries actually a deep wisdom as well.

We shouldn't break our heads to much into pieces of the Philippines, we ( Me too !! ) hardly understand our own cultures, how much more difficulties we have when going deep into a very different (Asian) one then.

probably takes a few lifetimes of somebody DEVOTED entirely to it.

So lets just enjoy life, if we want, learn the language, and have a good time. That is also what the Filipinos want us to have.

Why worry so much ?

mahogany

So lets just enjoy life

Why worry so much ?

Guenther, that is one of the great downfalls of Western expats: to try to understand everything, to reason out everything, and to try to bring things into context of their own lives and their own experiences. Mostly they do not easily just observe and enjoy and have fun. And then, as a consequence, and as has been displayed in this thread, individuals experience a crisis that leads them to hate what they see in their new home. Sometimes these outbursts of hate are a one-time occurrence, sometimes they flare up in intervals, and often they are never overcome.

We need to learn to be patient, especially with ourselves, and we need to learn to be more content. Only then will we be able to learn to enjoy life here. Look at the locals, how they can enjoy life even if they are pennyless.

• Like 1

SkyMan

I haven't read all the responses here but I'll reply and hope I don't repeat others thoughts too much.

First, Visayan and Tagolog are different languages, not dialects of the same language. Cebuano is a dialect of Visayan.

Second, Paul is correct that Siya is Cebuano for he, she, or it. But I'll add that the short and more commonly used form if Siya is S'ya pronounced sha and not too far off from she. I think this is the main problem with them getting he or she correctly. My wife almost never says he instead of she. It's always she instead of he. If he is used instead of she by some speakers though, I can only imagine the reason is that the speaker wants to say she but in that split second their brain says "wait, don't she because that's Cebuano, use the English word" and he pops out.

Third, yes, there are many gender specific words in Cebuano/Visayan but I believe almost all are of Spannish origin. Lolo and lola for example. There is a Cebuano word for grandparent which is probably the only one used before the spannish arrived.

I've been with my wife over 3 years and she uses the correct pronoun 96% of the time and the other 4% she corrects herself right away, It confuses my brain completely when she is talking about lolo and throughs in a she. She makes some other errors that I was going to leave alone because they are cute but I realized I wasn't doing her any favors by not correcting. She may one day live in the US and if people laughed at her English she would shy away and withdraw. She would be better off to at least have confidence in her English.

Now, If I could get her to stop starting sentences using pronouns when I have no idea what she's referring to....

"They're coming at 2PM?"

"Who?"

"I told you last week."

"What?"

"They're coming at 2PM"

"Who is they."

"My brother and his gf, I told you last week."

"Oh, yeah, well, last week I would have understood who they are. But you have to use some names or something before you go to pronouns or i have no idea who you are talking about."

• Like 1

kurtis

But bakit??? Unique to the Phils? No way. Spanish in origin. Get used to it and enjoy the conversations. No big deal anyway.......... is it? :o:winking0044::surrender::tinkerbell:

ArieBombarie

"They're coming at 2PM?"

"Who?"

"I told you last week."

"What?"

"They're coming at 2PM"

"Who is they."

"My brother and his gf, I told you last week."

"Oh, yeah, well, last week I would have understood who they are. But you have to use some names or something before you go to pronouns or i have no idea who you are talking about."

I have the same convo's the other way around and it just means one has a lousy memory and does not even bother to fix this by using an agenda or notebook :scratch_head: not sure there is much cultural to that