Sign in to follow this  
Easyrider

Teach Filipinos how to use the correct Gender Words.

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does your girlfriend or wife use the correct gender words?

• Yes, she is always correct.
    • Yes, she gets it right more than half the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right about half of the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right sometimes.
    • Yes, she gets it right but not very often.
    • No, she always uses the wrong word.

Easyrider

Philip , Mahogony is correct. There is no gender in Cebuano.... so of course they will mix he with she here. For me, I expect it. My wife is pretty good at it, but she has lived in the States for a few years; but she still gets it wrong sometimes.

Well Mike, I guees I will have to be the one to tell you. There are several gender words in Cebuano and Tagalog. Where did you learn that? How could people have conversations about other people without gender words, especially if they don't know their names?

Gender Words Translated.docx

Edited by Easyrider

Easyrider

This is an incredibly condescending and thoughtless proposition. Language, along with poetry, music, dance, story telling, and so many other things are the foundations of a culture. You are proposing the same strategy used by Russian, Chinese, and German dictators, and inadvertently by Americans expanding westward or calling to teach only in English in American schools) to homonginize native cultures to make things more convenient, and easier to control, for dominant cultures who don't want to be bothered with cultural diversity.

And you want to do this because the native Cebu dialect doesn't use gender the same way you do?

Shame shame shame!

Well, the shame maybe be on you for not having the knowledge and understanding of how things work in the world. To be a major player in international trade, a nation needs to read, write and speak one of the international languages, such as English. Having over 100 languages is not productive to a nation's economic progress. And, this doesn't have anything to do with gender words, so you failed to make a point.

Kim_

Each nameword has a gender, for example BOAT or BYCICLE or TURTLE are all either male or female

Same in Spanish....

mahogany

The Visayan dialect does have gender words. How could they communicate effectively without them?

Sorry, my wrong - I was too careless and unspecific in the choice of my words; I guess that those who understood what I was trying to convey are now being slaughtered for it. My apology.

What I intended to say is that Binisaya does not distinguish gender in referent words e.g. pronouns.The same also applies to Tagalog. It is that that complicates the issue at hand.

Thanks for bringing up the discrepancy.

udonthani

to be honest, I couldn't care less when they mix up the genders. It's just the way they speak English and I accept it, just like I accept some idioms and expressions that you only find in the Pinglish and not elsewhere.

just because they don't speak English the same way as somebody does in Nebraska or Norwich, doesn't necessarily mean they're doing anything wrong.

what I usually do in the Philippines is try to speak English the way they tend to speak it. That way, I get understood a lot easier than if I was this idiot that insisted they try to speak it the way that I'm used to at home.

• Like 1

Stranded Shipscook

I waited till many have posted, because i was accused of destroying threads with my opinion. Now after all had their say, i let you know this :

The Filippinos have certainly a 'problem" with the "Genderism" because their language do not have those attributes.

Now it depends of course on the education and capability, some or many, depending on the social circle one lives, master it, and some don't.

So bloody what ? It's cute !

Germans also find it very cute,when they meet any national who isn't capable to assign the "correct gender" to the words.

I have not met ANY Foreigner who is capable of doing that, even when they lived 20+ years in Germany. And its soooo easy actually :scratch_head:

Why i bring up that example ? Because we gotta be fair, thats why. :scratch_head:

" DER, DIE, DAS "

udonthani

I bet Guenther speaks English - not his first language - a lot differently when he's in London, than when he's in Manila.

so do I.

Stranded Shipscook

Well, the shame maybe be on you for not having the knowledge and understanding of how things work in the world. To be a major player in international trade, a nation needs to read, write and speak one of the international languages, such as English. Having over 100 languages is not productive to a nation's economic progress. And, this doesn't have anything to do with gender words, so you failed to make a point.

mmmh, thats is like saying, that the Americas should switch to Spanish. (Majority of people speak Spanish) or Europe should switch to German (majority of people speak German) or the entire world should speak CHINESE.

Stranded Shipscook

I bet Guenther speaks English - not his first language - a lot differently when he's in London, than when he's in Manila.

so do I.

You bet i am not daffadown dilly, khyber pass :scratch_head:

Easyrider

to be honest, I couldn't care less when they mix up the genders. It's just the way they speak English and I accept it, just like I accept some idioms and expressions that you only find in the Pinglish and not elsewhere.

just because they don't speak English the same way as somebody does in Nebraska or Norwich, doesn't necessarily mean they're doing anything wrong.

what I usually do in the Philippines is try to speak English the way they tend to speak it. That way, I get understood a lot easier than if I was this idiot that insisted they try to speak it the way that I'm used to at home.

undonthani made some good points. She must be a smart woman.

Easyrider

mmmh, thats is like saying, that the Americas should switch to Spanish. (Majority of people speak Spanish) or Europe should switch to German (majority of people speak German) or the entire world should speak CHINESE.

Well a nation can be more productive, have less misunderstandings and disagreements when the people speak the same language. It's only common sense. Why do you think it wouldn't be good to have one language? Aviation went to one language long ago. Can you imagine what it would be like if all the commercial airliners flying in the sky together were speaking different languages. The number of crashes would greatly increase and then all airplanes would be grounded because everyone would be afraid to fly.

It's only natural that people work better together when they can understand what each other are saying.

Edited by Easyrider

Stranded Shipscook

Well a nation can be more productive, have less misunderstandings and disagreements when the people speak the same language. It's only common sense. Why do you think it wouldn't be good to have one language? Aviation went to one language long ago. Can you imagine what it would be like if all the commercial airliners flying in the sky together were speaking different languages. The number of crashes would greatly increase and then all airplanes would be grounded because everyone would be afraid to fly.

It's only natural that people work better together when they can understand what each other are saying.

I don't mind that example. it certainly makes sense. Same in medicine where people still speak Latin.

However, Language is an important part of culture, this is also why the Europeans decided to NOT change the languages and never will do so. (When they formed the EU)

I could NOT express myself correctly in English when talking with another German about German cultural aspects and life. i would have to use large constructed sentences to explain ONE word. And vice versa. So languages float into each other.

best example which comes to my mind is the word "kindergarten". Now how much more for a completely different ethnic group an culture, in the case of the Philippines even already influenced by Spanish. Its impossible at this stage.

broden

I don't mind that example. it certainly makes sense. Same in medicine where people still speak Latin.

However, Language is an important part of culture, this is also why the Europeans decided to NOT change the languages and never will do so. (When they formed the EU)

I could NOT express myself correctly in English when talking with another German about German cultural aspects and life. i would have to use large constructed sentences to explain ONE word. And vice versa. So languages float into each other.

best example which comes to my mind is the word "kindergarten". Now how much more for a completely different ethnic group an culture, in the case of the Philippines even already influenced by Spanish. Its impossible at this stage.

some consider a country having it's own currency a very important part of their culture also but yet we have the Euro. i don't know if it will really be for the better or not in the long run, but sometimes that's just the way it goes

udonthani

I think native speakers should be paying more attention to how non-native speakers get around in English, not less. And shouldn't be too fussy about how they manage.

though the number of English speakers has increased dramatically worldwide and will continue to increase, the increase in numbers are all people who have learned or are learning English as a second or third language - what is less well realised is that the number of NATIVE speakers isn't increasing at all. In fact, it's declining.

Easyrider

I waited till many have posted, because i was accused of destroying threads with my opinion. Now after all had their say, i let you know this :

The Filippinos have certainly a 'problem" with the "Genderism" because their language do not have those attributes.

Now it depends of course on the education and capability, some or many, depending on the social circle one lives, master it, and some don't.

So bloody what ? It's cute !

Germans also find it very cute,when they meet any national who isn't capable to assign the "correct gender" to the words.

I have not met ANY Foreigner who is capable of doing that, even when they lived 20+ years in Germany. And its soooo easy actually :biggrin_01:

Why i bring up that example ? Because we gotta be fair, thats why. :scratch_head:

" DER, DIE, DAS "

You are wrong, Filipinos do have Genderism is their language. All languages have words which refer to males and females.

Germans give male and female names to things like tables. What kind of weird language is that and who would want to learn it?

Gender Words Translated.docx