Sign in to follow this  
Easyrider

Teach Filipinos how to use the correct Gender Words.

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does your girlfriend or wife use the correct gender words?

• Yes, she is always correct.
    • Yes, she gets it right more than half the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right about half of the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right sometimes.
    • Yes, she gets it right but not very often.
    • No, she always uses the wrong word.

cdpino

Being able to speak more than one language sounds good but very well may be the root cause of the problem.

Quoting from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines

In the Philippines, there are between 120 and 175 languages, depending on the method of classification.[1] Four languages no longer have any known speakers. Almost all the Philippine languages belong to the Austronesian language family. Of all of these languages,[2] only 2 are considered official in the country while (as of 2010) about 12 are considered official auxiliary.[3]

I believe the Philippines should abolish all of its 100+ languages that are only spoken and understood in the Philippines and only use one international language such as English. This would solve a lot of problems.

This is an incredibly condescending and thoughtless proposition. Language, along with poetry, music, dance, story telling, and so many other things are the foundations of a culture. You are proposing the same strategy used by Russian, Chinese, and German dictators, and inadvertently by Americans expanding westward or calling to teach only in English in American schools) to homonginize native cultures to make things more convenient, and easier to control, for dominant cultures who don't want to be bothered with cultural diversity.

And you want to do this because the native Cebu dialect doesn't use gender the same way you do?

Shame shame shame!

Edited by cdpino
  • Like 1

KennyF

Just consider yourselves lucky that you're not teaching her German.

Where you need to remember the gender of damn near everything.

It's not logical either, a record, which has a hole in it, is masculine while a cassette is feminine.

fd337941088d05d9b89dff1acdb84dd14bc622ad.gif

KonGC

mahogany

Just consider yourselves lucky that you're not teaching her German.

Where you need to remember the gender of damn near everything.

It's not logical either, a record, which has a hole in it, is masculine while a cassette is feminine.

Sorry Kenny, but you also got it mixed up: a record (Schallplatte) is feminine too :horray:

Cipro
I believe the Philippines should abolish all of its 100+ languages that are only spoken and understood in the Philippines and only use one international language such as English. This would solve a lot of problems.

The world will probably converge on some sort of ChinEnglish eventually anyway. Might as well start somewhere.

Philip , Mahogony is correct. There is no gender in Cebuano.... so of course they will mix he with she here.

People who have interacted a lot online seem to have a slightly better grip on this but my basis for that is purely anecdotal.

Native Filipino speaking people might be under severe risk of having a heartattack while learning the French language

Each nameword has a gender...

I always thought this was just idiotic. The Filipino way where there is no need for any pronoun gender seems a lot simpler and honestly seems a better way to go.

This is an incredibly condescending and thoughtless proposition.

And you want to do this because the native Cebu dialect doesn't use gender the same way you do?

Shame shame shame!

It's gonna happen anyway might as well embrace it or go read some books in Oscan and ignore the inevitable.

• Like 1

SimplyGee

I wonder what kind of girl/s are mostly kanos up to?! :cooking: But in reality mostly pinays who got married w/kanos are less educated.(not to offend to anyone here).But in the other hand pinays in general are trying to communicate with pride:)

Love the days!

Ge :coffee:

mpt1947

I have known my wife for nearly two years and have been with her almost 24/7 for the last year and I don't recall her using gender pronouns incorrectly - maybe she has and maybe I don't care

Like other's have said, my wife speaks English, some French, Some Spanish, Tagalog, Cebuano and several other Philippine Dialects - I speak English. I am 64 and to this day don't understand why we have the words WIND or WIND, WOULD, WOOD, THERE, THEIR, WHERE, WEAR, WERE, the list could go on, and you are concerned about pronouns

Thankfully the Filipino Population doesn't have the attitude that many of us have and declare that you have one year to learn Tagalog and the dialect that is most common to the area that you are living in - I wonder how many of us would still be here after that first year.

enoonmai

I wonder what kind of girl/s are mostly kanos up to?! :cooking: But in reality mostly pinays who got married w/kanos are less educated.(not to offend to anyone here).But in the other hand pinays in general are trying to communicate with pride:)

Do you have a source for that or is it a personal observation/opinion?

SimplyGee

Do you have a source for that or is it a personal observation/opinion?

Opinion Mr!:)but it happens;)

Love the days here!

Ge:)

David Spicer

Its the same in Tagalog. Personally, I don't correct my wife when she makes pronoun errors and don't intend to start. She speaks 3 languages and I speak 1. That makes her the linguist in the family, not me.

Ditto! English is not my wife's first, or even second language. She gets it right at least half of the time, I don't correct her when she doesn't, and I know what she means regardless. Our 3 year old on the other hand, who began speaking English first, is now speaking both English and Cebuano and she gets is right 100% of the time.

A_Simple_Man

But in reality mostly pinays who got married w/kanos are less educated.

Can you give us one example? Or is this an example of that crab mentality thing the other thread mentions?

SimplyGee

Can you give us one example? Or is this an example of that crab mentality thing the other thread mentions?

Reality speaks:)Mr.Simple Man..I have a few acquaintances who got married with kanos,but it wasn't a problem with their relationship since her husband knew her educational background.

Love the days here!

Englishman_on_Tour

Just educate yourself, you know it's happening. Big deal?, I think not.

SimplyGee

Just educate yourself, you know it's happening. Big deal?, I think not.

I hope I did not offended anyone here:(....not a big deal as well Mr.Englishman:)Peace!

Love the days here!

HeyMike

I wonder what kind of girl/s are mostly kanos up to?! :stick_poke:But in reality mostly pinays who got married w/kanos are less educated.(not to offend to anyone here).But in the other hand pinays in general are trying to communicate with pride:)

Is this really true, or an opinion?

Englishman_on_Tour

I hope I did not offended anyone here:(....not a big deal as well Mr.Englishman:)Peace!

Love the days here!

No offence to me fella, there's much worse going on.

Just learn the basics and the rest falls into place.