Sign in to follow this  
Easyrider

Teach Filipinos how to use the correct Gender Words.

52 members have voted

1. 1. Does your girlfriend or wife use the correct gender words?

• Yes, she is always correct.
    • Yes, she gets it right more than half the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right about half of the time.
    • Yes, she gets it right sometimes.
    • Yes, she gets it right but not very often.
    • No, she always uses the wrong word.

Easyrider

I have been around Filipinos for several years now and have noticed that most of them do not use gender words correctly.

In 2006 I took a Filipina to America and was amazed that she used the words he and she incorrectly 100% of the time. She should have gotten it correct about 50% of the time. I thought maybe the teachers were teaching the students wrong but could never prove if it’s true or not.

Every time I heard her use a wrong gender word I would correct her and she appreciated it. After about 2 ½ years she still used the wrong word every time but would immediately correct herself.

This week I made a list of gender words and some other words that I have heard used incorrectly very often by Filipinos. I used Microsoft Word so you can add to it or make any changes you like. You can use it to teach your girlfriend or family.

Sometimes it’s very difficult a follow a conversation when talking about a man and woman when a Filipino says she but is actually talking about him. I hope this will help you teach the correct words to use. You can print it so it’s always available to use.

Male & Female.docx

Edited by Easyrider

A_Simple_Man

Before it gets too far along, can you change the poll to have the option:

She ain't perfect but gets it right 3 out of 4 times, (Or perhaps just say More often than not)

• Like 1

Mandingo

I have worked with literally thousands of Filipinos over the last 15 years, even the ones here in the States for years get it wrong most of the time. One of my co-workers who's been here for 20+ years, is one of the smartest people I know and has excellent English skills get's the he/she thing wrong 25% of the time, that is the only thing he gets wrong too. Not sure why it's so tough for them.....

On the other hand if I could speak 2, 3 or 4 languages like a lot of Filipinos can I'd be happy to only get a couple words wrong every so often. Thats one thing I really envy about Filipino's, their ability to speak multiple languages.

dHb

Good luck with that! Its been more than 20 years since I met my wife and I still have to correct her! At first it was irritating but I've gone so used to it now that I just have to look at her when she gets mixed up. Kinda confusing when you're having a conversation about a male friend and suddenly you realize that the topic is about someone female....

Headshot

Before it gets too far along, can you change the poll to have the option:

She ain't perfect but gets it right 3 out of 4 times, (Or perhaps just say More often than not)

I added another option for you.

mahogany

Consider that the Visayan dialect knows no genders, so the concept is something alien to the natives; I do not know about Tagalog.

• Like 1

BossHog

The ONE time that they ALWAYS get the pronoun correct is when referring to them bayot "lady-fellas" that you see walking around.

Edited by BossHog

Easyrider

I added another option for you.

Ok thank you Headshot. I was going to do it but I wasn't watching the thread when it was requested.

I believe most of us have this problem with communicating so I hope it will benefit those who try to use it. Maybe taping a copy to the wall would help. When in doubt which word to use just look at the page.

Edited by Easyrider

Alan S
On the other hand if I could speak 2, 3 or 4 languages like a lot of Filipinos can I'd be happy to only get a couple words wrong every so often. Thats one thing I really envy about Filipino's, their ability to speak multiple languages.

Ditto

Easyrider

I have worked with literally thousands of Filipinos over the last 15 years, even the ones here in the States for years get it wrong most of the time. One of my co-workers who's been here for 20+ years, is one of the smartest people I know and has excellent English skills get's the he/she thing wrong 25% of the time, that is the only thing he gets wrong too. Not sure why it's so tough for them.....

Being able to speak more than one language sounds good but very well may be the root cause of the problem.

Quoting from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines

In the Philippines, there are between 120 and 175 languages, depending on the method of classification.[1] Four languages no longer have any known speakers. Almost all the Philippine languages belong to the Austronesian language family. Of all of these languages,[2] only 2 are considered official in the country while (as of 2010) about 12 are considered official auxiliary.[3]

I believe the Philippines should abolish all of its 100+ languages that are only spoken and understood in the Philippines and only use one international language such as English. This would solve a lot of problems.

The Mason

Consider that the Visayan dialect knows no genders, so the concept is something alien to the natives; I do not know about Tagalog.

Its the same in Tagalog. Personally, I don't correct my wife when she makes pronoun errors and don't intend to start. She speaks 3 languages and I speak 1. That makes her the linguist in the family, not me.

• Like 1

Easyrider

Its the same in Tagalog. Personally, I don't correct my wife when she makes pronoun errors and don't intend to start. She speaks 3 languages and I speak 1. That makes her the linguist in the family, not me.

Well, even a linguist can still learn. Has she learned when to say he or she, if not, do you know why? Saying someone knows more than one lauguage is not a good excuse. All of the Popes in my adult life spoke several languages but I never heard any one of them say she when talking about Jesus.

HeyMike

Philip , Mahogony is correct. There is no gender in Cebuano.... so of course they will mix he with she here. For me, I expect it. My wife is pretty good at it, but she has lived in the States for a few years; but she still gets it wrong sometimes.

Zamora

Native Filipino speaking people might be under severe risk of having a heartattack while learning the French language

Each nameword has a gender, for example BOAT or BYCICLE or TURTLE are all either male or female

The oh so romantic image of France that most Filipinas seem to have might quickly fade away...

Edited by Zamora

sjp

Its funny that they don,t have words for the main 2 genders but do for the( 3rd ??? ). I wonder why that is.