Sign in to follow this  
AsiaBill

Bill's Ten Travel Tips For The Philippines

lamoe

On the " don't drink the water" vein, don't eat the salad. Not sure about ice in drink or salsa. Make their own ice in restaurants? Guys wouldn't drink water in TJ in Mexico but didn't think about the ice in places that didn't cater to tourists.

udonthani

your funny guess you never heard of the inside job...  once in the bay view i had 5,000 in cash and when i went to check out i had 4,200 in cash ... and at the diamond something similar not all just some a thief would take all a employee will only take enough to be able to say maybe you miscounted 

something like that happened to me in Harare, Zimbabwe about 20 years ago. I changed $100 on the street and they just gave me like a ZIM$100 only wrapped around a load of worthless $2s. The lads just scarpered, and I made to run after them. The black guy I was with, a Nigerian resident in South Africa who I was accompanying on a drive he was making up to Malawi to sell his car where they are worth a lot more (i.e. he was definitely NOT in on it even though he was also black like the thieves) screamed at me to come back and NOT run after them. When I did he said if you'd have caught up with them then you may very well have got shot. Later on we were having a beer in a bar where there was a local cop who we related the story to, and he said to the Nigerian guy yes you did right in calling him back. No use getting killed over $100.

Edited by udonthani
  • Like 1

storybrook

Hey bill, I write books about the Philippines and these are some great tips...mind if I include them and give you credit for them in one of my future books?  They are some good advice...I could probaby come up with 40 more and entitle the book 50 tips for Traveling to the Philippines....money from my books goest to feed hungry people in the Philippines.  Seriously do you mind if I use them?  A little copy and paste might just inspire me to start a new book.  I won't if you say no? 

storybrook

You say that you personally have been using small mom and pop operations for years and I don’t doubt your word but what comes to my mind is the face that there are counterfeiters who are doing big business in this country. I don’t mean to contradict the advice but for me, I prefer not to worry so much about the exchange rate but I want to make sure the money I’m getting is REAL and I’m not enabling some entrepreneurs who are making change for people and half of it is in counterfeit bills perhaps. 

I get a little screwed every time I take money out of the bank between the bank stated rate which is always a peso below the daily rate published on the internet and then the bank ATM fees etc…but at least I know or at least I’m pretty sure that I’m getting real legal money. 

I remember one time when I made a trip and came back with some cash and made an exchange and the guy goes behind a little half wall with MY money, and I can’t see what he is doing, and then he returns to me several of the bills which he says he is rejecting for some reason.  They had all come from my bank in the USA but he was claiming they were too worn or something.  I told him never mind if he wasn’t going to take them all and exchange them all just give me the money back. 

I’m pretty sure that the bills I got back were not the bills I gave him.  So ever since, I never use money changers like that.  Now if you know someone after 25 years of doing it, that’s a different story but I would certainly advice people coming to the Philippines to go to a bank, go inside and ask the exchange rate for the day. If you want to shop a couple banks and it’s worth your trouble ok do it, but exchange the money at a Bank would be my personal advice in this area.  Never on the street – Unless like I said, you already know the changer or you have a friend like you perhaps who can take you to where they always get their money exchanged – then that would be a different story.

Jeepney

Hey bill, I write books about the Philippines and these are some great tips...mind if I include them and give you credit for them in one of my future books?  They are some good advice...I could probaby come up with 40 more and entitle the book 50 tips for Traveling to the Philippines....money from my books goest to feed hungry people in the Philippines.  Seriously do you mind if I use them?  A little copy and paste might just inspire me to start a new book.  I won't if you say no? 

Well done mate, you must be very busy?

A_Simple_Man

the guy goes behind a little half wall with MY money

The money changers in all the malls give better rates than the bank and there are no 'half walls' for them to go behind.  They are small cubicles with a cashier seated behind a glass and, in my opinion, are as reputable as the banks and give better rates BUT if you have a good relationship with your bank manager and you can quote the rate the money changers have offered you then it is quite likely the bank manager will match it.  At least such has been my opinion but that is only based on 6+ years experience so I could be wrong.

jcosamz86

These tips are applicable to any places which you are new.

But he have good tips and very helpful to tourists here in CEbu.

BlancoDiablo

Thanks for the sound advice.