Bill's Ten Travel Tips For The Philippines

AsiaBill

Davaoeno
You need to drink purified water at all times here.

Unless of course you move to Davao then its fine to drink the tap water !! [ since it seems I am a slow learner everytime time i go to Cebu I go into a restaurant and drink the tap water - and get sick !]

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• AsiaBill

• fanboat

• theTODD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BILL'S TRAVEL TIPS for the PHILIPPINES!!   1.)Always carry small change in Pesos, Coins & 20 & 50 notes. That saves you the annoyance from the very common reply, "sorry no change".   2.)

Here is an addition to the tips for the Philippines.   11) Leave your sarcasm at home. In the west sarcastic humor is a very popular way of being funny. Here it will do nothing but get you into al

10 Simple Living Tips to Help You Make Travel( Retirement )Dreams a Reality ( OR aka 10 Simple living Tips to Help You Live Your Dreams ) And / Or Help you get along peacefully and prosper where ever

Having been bashed and left to die by 5 cop kids on a drunken rampage(18 yo thug footballers) in Brisbane Australia as a 17 yo uni student, and then threatened with a lifetime of repercussions from Qld police if they were charged...I am certain even the Philippines is a safer place to live than Australia.

So it's all relative.

Pollies are saying that you have 15 times more chance of being shot in the US than Australia..so add that to the equation.

Edited by Astroboy
Davaoeno

Having been beaten up and left to die by 5 cop kids (18 yo thug footballers) in Brisbane Australia as a 17 yo uni student, and then threatened with a lifetime of repercussions from Qld police if they were charged...I am certain even the Philippines is a safer place to live than Australia.

So it's all relative.

so your top 10 travel tips for the Philippines is to not get beat up by Australians ??? thanks for the heads up !

• Like 1
smokey

Having been bashed and left to die by 5 cop kids on a drunken rampage(18 yo thug footballers) in Brisbane Australia as a 17 yo uni student, and then threatened with a lifetime of repercussions from Qld police if they were charged...I am certain even the Philippines is a safer place to live than Australia.

So it's all relative.

Pollies are saying that you have 15 times more chance of being shot in the US than Australia..so add that to the equation.

and your 99 more times likely to get slashed with a bolo in some places then shot

• 4 months later...

Doesn't matter what city you visit in the world, from what I've learnt from these posts, walk like you're on a mission, don't look confused or walk around looking like a tourist, stay where people are and don't walk down alleys or side streets with pockets bulging with money, learn some basic cebuano!

Rick has a point here,

Have been living here fulltime for 3 years and never been robbed walking this way.

Common mistake I see with a lot of 'tourist' even people who come back for a second or third time, is the fact they carry a bulging wallet around.

I can understand you wouldn't wanna walk without cash if you're travelling alone.

But my advice would be take a small little wallet (possible extra if you wanna carry double) that you wouldn't even mind losing that much, a couple of hundreds maybe 1.5k. Make it look unsuspicious and don't fall in the deathtrap off showing your stash to every little streetvendor, taxi driver, bartender or whomever you'll encounter paying. The bills in Philippines are very easy to distiguish due to the color, any 'trained' eye wanting to do bad to a foreigner could count your bills up in seconds when you're struggling to find the right bill inbetween shitloads of receipt, cashcard, insurance cards and mixed currency. assuming that most visitors I saw ended up with their home currency, lay-over country currency and Peso's in their wallets.

This is just a tactic to keep your self on a low profile,

As a foreigner no matter where you are you attract attention, some good some bad.

Learn an utmost minimal of the local language and people are more willing to help.

jessdaddy

great tips.

smokey

1. Beware

Of The Bulging Wallet | Jacqueline Whitmore

Beware Of The Bulging

Wallet. D o you suffer from “thick wallet syndrome,” also known as

George Costanza Wallet (made famous by the character in the popular

jacquelinewhitmore.com/beware-of-the-bulging-wallet

- Cached

• 4 weeks later...
samatm

You forgot the ol' bring your own butt wipe.

• Like 1
smokey

So it's all relative.

and you have a 1000% more chance of being hacked with a bolo in asia then shot in any western country  so just what is the point 

• Like 1
smokey

Rick has a point here,

Have been living here fulltime for 3 years and never been robbed walking this way.

Common mistake I see with a lot of 'tourist' even people who come back for a second or third time, is the fact they carry a bulging wallet around.

I can understand you wouldn't wanna walk without cash if you're travelling alone.

But my advice would be take a small little wallet (possible extra if you wanna carry double) that you wouldn't even mind losing that much, a couple of hundreds maybe 1.5k. Make it look unsuspicious and don't fall in the deathtrap off showing your stash to every little streetvendor, taxi driver, bartender or whomever you'll encounter paying. The bills in Philippines are very easy to distiguish due to the color, any 'trained' eye wanting to do bad to a foreigner could count your bills up in seconds when you're struggling to find the right bill inbetween shitloads of receipt, cashcard, insurance cards and mixed currency. assuming that most visitors I saw ended up with their home currency, lay-over country currency and Peso's in their wallets.

This is just a tactic to keep your self on a low profile,

As a foreigner no matter where you are you attract attention, some good some bad.

Learn an utmost minimal of the local language and people are more willing to help.

problem is your on vacation and travelers checks suck...  so you bring cash as you get ready to leave for the day you remember all the stories about not leaving cash in your room.... if the room has a safe its old ,,, junky looking and might have 100 keys for it..so just where do you keep your money to not have it on your person 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

problem is your on vacation and travelers checks suck...  so you bring cash as you get ready to leave for the day you remember all the stories about not leaving cash in your room.... if the room has a safe its old ,,, junky looking and might have 100 keys for it..so just where do you keep your money to not have it on your person 

Well in that equation if you tend to go to lesser budget hotels, you can always invest into a second wallet. One that straps to your body and is concealed. Where you would put most of your 'fat' cash and cards.. So you won't have to leave that behind and in case of emergency you give the robber your 'dummy' wallet with your spare bills and he will walk away cause most likely he was only out for a quick buck.

Anyways the people i was referring to were people who stayed in hotels in the top to mid-range class (marco polo for exmpl) where i can assure you the safe works and or you leave at the counter area if you're total paranoid

Davaoeno

just where do you keep your money to not have it on your person 

in western countries i just peel back a part of the carpet and hide the money under it.  Not so easy to do here where all the rooms are tiled.

ed villas

I changed $50 on the street some years ago..

The bastards gave me $25 (in PHP) change!!

They fold half into their palm and pull the rest out between their fingers!

I got my money back 2 days later.. Thats another story!

could you share w/us of how you got your money back?

smokey

Well in that equation if you tend to go to lesser budget hotels, you can always invest into a second wallet. One that straps to your body and is concealed. Where you would put most of your 'fat' cash and cards.. So you won't have to leave that behind and in case of emergency you give the robber your 'dummy' wallet with your spare bills and he will walk away cause most likely he was only out for a quick buck.

Anyways the people i was referring to were people who stayed in hotels in the top to mid-range class (marco polo for exmpl) where i can assure you the safe works and or you leave at the counter area if you're total paranoid

your funny guess you never heard of the inside job...  once in the bay view i had 5,000 in cash and when i went to check out i had 4,200 in cash ... and at the diamond something similar not all just some a thief would take all a employee will only take enough to be able to say maybe you miscounted 

fred42

could you share w/us of how you got your money back?

Entrapment..

We had a beauty parlour in MH Del pilar in those days and a friend of mine told the scam money changers that he would like to change money and the cash was at the parlour..

Long story short,when I walked in,they said they thought I was a tourist and gave me back the balance. 

Edited by fred42