Sign in to follow this  
AsiaBill

Bill's Ten Travel Tips For The Philippines

AsiaBill

I have been traveling the world since I was 22 and most of the time cheaper than I could live by renting my own house or apt or paying a mortgage in the States and all the other attached or obligated expenses involved in living "the life" with the typical American spendthrift lifestyle

7) Interesting statement, never thought of it this way...

But you mean travelling to one place and staying there? Or do you actually mean travelling around the world?

9) Oh NO, you are not cheating ME! :)

A woman not your wife WILL cost you some money, IF she is your wife she WILL cost you MORE.

A nine month result will surely cost you.

J n J

I am wondering why you would allow yourself to think that anyone fights fair in a street fight?and think anyone ever would?

That is just unfathomable to me and would never expect anyone,anywhere to fight fairly.I will walk or run away but if I have to deal,it is going to be to kill.and by any means necessary to ensure I keep breathing.THERE IS NO HONOR IN A STRRET FIGHT.

It seems to me that when people act like tough guys,the exact opposite is true.That is why they usually attack in packs.Get the biggest one and the rest of 'em will run like deer.

I mind my own business and make sure no one interferes in my business.Excellent way to aviod problems.

• Like 1

EAGLE

ha ha.... what an astute observation...... you must have live a happy and successful life in PI! as a filipino I wholly endorsed no 5 - hence the husband is not out of my eagle eye if we where in PI, most especially in big cities. no matter how experience a traveller he is and had lived in some undesirable countries, i never relaxed my guard or turn my back on a filipino! wink.gif

I have lived in many Countries!

Undesirable ?

Lets say some I never wish to visit again.!

MY Eagle eyed Asawa has shown me that I NEED "My Eagle eyed Asawa"...?? :coffee:

:)

Edited by EAGLE

broden

Bill

nothing personal

but i can't read any of your posts with out thinking of colin mochrie

don't know if you've ever heard of him but he was a regular on the american version of who's line is it anyway

very funny guy

are-you-smarter-than-a-canadian-5th-grader-colin-mochrie-1.jpg

anyway enjoy your travels

• Like 1

Gwaps

there are no white sand beaches near Cebu City and very few tourists but plenty of bars and hot filipinas

Actually, seems Cebu is again the #1 tourist destination in the Phils. Despite the lack of white sand beaches. Guess that tells you something about the bars and the hot filipinas there :biggrin_01:

TheMatrix

Actually, seems Cebu is again the #1 tourist destination in the Phils. Despite the lack of white sand beaches. Guess that tells you something about the bars and the hot filipinas there :biggrin_01:

Yeah, it becomes #1 every year about this time due to Sinulog.

Bonjon

Might be obvious to most, but can some one just explain what exactly are:

The small money changer "Mom & Pop" operations

KID

what happened to "Don't drink the water" ?

philmoralez

Its better to be really cautious especially if you are a foreigner. Nice info bill.. thanks!

ohlive

Yes, I think if it's your first time to visit any area of the Philippines, you need some guidelines to follow. It can be a scary place for people who've never been here and don't know their way around or it could be a place you'll enjoy and love if you do your research. Definitely a place where people have a good time. If you are able to have your "filipino" circle before visiting the country, you'll definitely have a great time! ;)

Dragon

Here is an addition to the tips for the Philippines.

11) Leave your sarcasm at home. In the west sarcastic humor is a very popular way of being funny. Here it will do nothing but get you into all sorts of mis-understandings. Filipinos have a great sense of humor but humorous sarcasm is just not taken in the intended manner here. This is especially true regarding communication with your significant other.

Edited by Dragon
  • Like 4

KID

Just getting off the plane with a hotel res. and no particular agenda has it's advantages-- -- BUT---- If I was gonna play the game again--a guided tour sounds pretty good !!!

Wondering around Smokey mountain at 3am in manila-- ya wasn't the wisest place to be-- :)

rick2ride

wow man..... Places in the states are dangerous.... all BIG cities have crime... gang members... drug sellers and drug addicts.... go to some trailer parks in South Carolina over taken by METH..... and compare that to being a tourist in Cebu.....lol..... I will take my first trip to Cebu in August...

I am more worried abut the plane going down then getting attacked in Cebu.....

true Karma plays a role.... but bad karma is bad karma anywhere....

from what I see Cebu is a nice city full of hot Filipinas, tourists... bars... white sand beaches,,,..and Heaven on EARTH....

my half ass point of view...... lol.....

-The TODD

:popcorn:

Doesn't matter what city you visit in the world, from what I've learnt from these posts, walk like you're on a mission, don't look confused or walk around looking like a tourist, stay where people are and don't walk down alleys or side streets with pockets bulging with money, learn some basic cebuano!

rick2ride

what happened to "Don't drink the water" ?

I'm wondering that! The water makes you sick right? Couldn't you get sick a few times then your system gets used to the bug? Do you need to drink bottled water for the rest of your life if you retire there?

Headshot

I'm wondering that! The water makes you sick right? Couldn't you get sick a few times then your system gets used to the bug? Do you need to drink bottled water for the rest of your life if you retire there?

It's the lifeforms in the water that make you sick...not the water itself. Things like typhus, cholera, amoebic dysentery, giardia, ecoli and hepatitis might kill you the first time you get them, so your body might not get a chance to develop any immunity to them. Plus the fact that with most of those ailments, your body doesn't develop an immunity anyway. A lot of locals here die from water-borne diseases every year, but most locals use bottled water for drinking too. You need to drink purified water at all times here. Whether that is through drinking bottled water or putting in a water filtration system is up to you.

Edited by Headshot