US Tourist Visa Denial

Davaoeno

Yea, that's what Hitler and Mussolini and Tojo said until they got their asses kicked by the "home of the Fail"...and poverty level in the US is upper middle class in the Philippines. There are 350 million Americans that don't know anyone in the rest of the world....don't want to know anyone in the rest of the world and couldn't give a feck less what anyone else thinks of the US. We didn't become the most powerful country in the world by catering to, copying, or appeasing the rest of the world...Anyone that doesn't like America that's OK...just stay away....America doesn't need you. If the US ever decides to take care of Americans first..the rest of the world is in big trouble. The world should not wake a sleeping self-sufficient (if they have to be) giant. Just sayin........

Dennis

Thanks for the laugh - I needed that !

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• Davaoeno

• Headshot

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, that's what Hitler and Mussolini and Tojo said until they got their asses kicked by the "home of the Fail"...and poverty level in the US is upper middle class in the Philippines. There are 350 mi

The US Government is out of control, and that is why I am now in the Philippines. The only way I will ever go back to the US is under armed guards carrying an arrest warrant. ...and if some idiot in h

Smith, I doubt that timing had ANYTHING to do with the visa denial. The simple fact is that your wife was applying for the visa using a Philippine passport. That, BY ITSELF, is enough to have a touris

Headshot

What we realized later is that it was probably a bad idea to apply for a tourist visa leading up to the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I'm sure they were denying almost everybody. I won't comment on how ridiculous that is.

Smith, I doubt that timing had ANYTHING to do with the visa denial. The simple fact is that your wife was applying for the visa using a Philippine passport. That, BY ITSELF, is enough to have a tourist visa to the US denied. If you find that to be unfair, join the crowd. The US State Department didn't treat her any differently than they would ANY Filipina married to a man who can travel freely into the US (including...or maybe especially...US citizens). If your wife had a Canadian passport, there would be no problem at all.

• Like 2

Smith, I doubt that timing had ANYTHING to do with the visa denial. The simple fact is that your wife was applying for the visa using a Philippine passport. That, BY ITSELF, is enough to have a tourist visa to the US denied. If you find that to be unfair, join the crowd. The US State Department didn't treat her any differently than they would ANY Filipina married to a man who can travel freely into the US (including...or maybe especially...US citizens). If your wife had a Canadian passport, there would be no problem at all.

As AS pointed out, if she had a Canadian passport she wouldn't need a visa.

AS: I'm just curious, where you in the interview with your wife? The reason I ask is that Manila, husbands are not allowed in. The reason is that the visa is for her and there is no provision for a sponsor or anything like that. She has to stand on her own. And probably the fact that in the past, husbands have not reacted well to denial. I don't know your wife but most Filipinas tend to be shy and only answer the questions they are asked so the interviewer might not have known you were accompanying her. If she asked the purpose of the visa and your wife said "I (instead of my husband and I) are going for vacation in Florida." the interviewer might have gotten the impression she was going by herself. Perhaps she thought you were an abusive husband and she was fleeing to family in the US. I really have no idea, just a possibility. When my wife went for her interview I wrote up a one page letter detailing why I wanted her to travel with me and had her take it in as part of her package. I had been told I might not be allowed in and that was the case.

Anyway, enjoy Cuba and be sure to post pics and a review of what you thought of it.

The Northwest Angle border crossing between Minnesota and Canada works on the "honor system" with no staff. There is just a little shed with a video phone inside where you are supposed to stop to call U.S. Customs and Border Protection and get permission to enter. Not everyone stops every time, especially locals.

• Like 1

As AS pointed out, if she had a Canadian passport she wouldn't need a visa.

AS: I'm just curious, where you in the interview with your wife? The reason I ask is that Manila, husbands are not allowed in. The reason is that the visa is for her and there is no provision for a sponsor or anything like that. She has to stand on her own. And probably the fact that in the past, husbands have not reacted well to denial. I don't know your wife but most Filipinas tend to be shy and only answer the questions they are asked so the interviewer might not have known you were accompanying her. If she asked the purpose of the visa and your wife said "I (instead of my husband and I) are going for vacation in Florida." the interviewer might have gotten the impression she was going by herself. Perhaps she thought you were an abusive husband and she was fleeing to family in the US. I really have no idea, just a possibility. When my wife went for her interview I wrote up a one page letter detailing why I wanted her to travel with me and had her take it in as part of her package. I had been told I might not be allowed in and that was the case.

Anyway, enjoy Cuba and be sure to post pics and a review of what you thought of it.

The interview was at the American Consulate in Toronto, and I suppose its the same in all American embassies and consulates, where only the interviewee is allowed inside. My wife did say that we were going to Florida not just "I", and she even said, after the interviewer told her the reason for not qualifying that it was "actually his idea to go, not mine" referring to it being my idea to go. You do actually make a good point about the abusive husband thing that I never thought of. I suppose regardless of financial circumstances, a woman might flee the country to get away from a psychopath. Regardless it was about a 5 minute interview and very few questions were even asked. I'm a little more objective about it now that I've calmed down, and I suppose there could be many "valid" reasons as far as the interviewer is concerned. Oh well, live and learn. We'll just go to Florida in 2 years or so, since I'm no longer boycotting the US of A.... :beatdeadhorse:

If she got a whole 5 minutes she got about 10 times what a Filipina gets in Manila. Probably due to volume. I think HeadShot's wife got about 15 seconds followed by "You look nervous so you're denied." WTFO?

ANyway, yes, I think you've calmed down considerably from your OP.

Davaoeno

The interview was at the American Consulate in Toronto, and I suppose its the same in all American embassies and consulates, where only the interviewee is allowed inside. My wife did say that we were going to Florida not just "I", and she even said, after the interviewer told her the reason for not qualifying that it was "actually his idea to go, not mine" referring to it being my idea to go. You do actually make a good point about the abusive husband thing that I never thought of. I suppose regardless of financial circumstances, a woman might flee the country to get away from a psychopath. Regardless it was about a 5 minute interview and very few questions were even asked. I'm a little more objective about it now that I've calmed down, and I suppose there could be many "valid" reasons as far as the interviewer is concerned. Oh well, live and learn. We'll just go to Florida in 2 years or so, since I'm no longer boycotting the US of A.... :beatdeadhorse:

traitor !! :thumbs_down:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

My wife applied for Canadian citizenship a few months ago, the rest is routine. She wanted to go to Vancouver and apply for a US visa in order to take advantage of one of the cheap packages going to Vegas. I told her "no f..... way", just wait, you never know. "You don't want a visa denied to the US for whatever reason". I just found this thread and I am happy about my decision.

We just went to Mexico for the forth time and this time she was questioned by the Mexican immigration agent, never happened before. Despite the official rule that permanent residents of Canada only need the resident card and passport. Maybe this had to do with Canada requiring visas for Mexican residents since last year - before they could just come to Canada without visa.

JSL-USMC

Glad you have calmed a bit. Dealing with any govt agency is a nightmare. I had a INS guy tell me that my wife would have to wait for 5 years to apply for citizenship because she had been out of the country for more than 6 mos. Went home, filled out the paperwork, sent it in. She was a citizen in less than 6 mos. For her interview she had a retired U.S. Marine Capt. Same as me.

Anyhow, Florida is a great place to visit in the winter.

Steady on!