US Tourist Visa Denial

USMC-Retired

You know that is not shocking. What I feel for is people like headshot that must lie to the US government via spousal visa to get a visit to the US. How unfair is it that a person that wants to just visit must get a spousal visa and spend the cost of such. His ordeal is cause for pause on exactly what our government is doing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• Davaoeno

• Headshot

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, that's what Hitler and Mussolini and Tojo said until they got their asses kicked by the "home of the Fail"...and poverty level in the US is upper middle class in the Philippines. There are 350 mi

The US Government is out of control, and that is why I am now in the Philippines. The only way I will ever go back to the US is under armed guards carrying an arrest warrant. ...and if some idiot in h

Smith, I doubt that timing had ANYTHING to do with the visa denial. The simple fact is that your wife was applying for the visa using a Philippine passport. That, BY ITSELF, is enough to have a touris

tom_shor

That sucks man. Have her fly to Mexico and run across the border. She will then be able to get citizenship a lot faster compared to the saps that actually go through the immigration process.

I believe you will find it is harder to get a Mexican visa than an American visa. Believe it or not.

kumusta cebu

Well on the flip side of the coin, Canada is the one that will not allow one to enter if they had a DWI 30 years ago!

How paranoid is that?

Larry in Dumaguete

Agreed; a couple of years back when I was on the job; my team & I were disallowed entry in the canadian boarder NY side when we were dispatched on an official mission requested by Canadian LE. Reason: "firearms carried where not on an approved list" LOL we were there to go into harms way & not on a hunting trip. Back into reality this could go both ways; could be an isolated incident.

Headshot

OK - we are looking at a tourist visa and hoping we will get it, because of our age - my wife is over 50 and I am only 12 yrs older than her. She can show financial and other ties to the Philippines and I will have a 13a which shows my intent to stay in the Philippines.

If we are denied and then apply for a Spousal Visa don't I need to show that I have financial ties to the US? Which I don't. I think I will take the advice of someones else here and spend our money in visiting other SE Countries and this vast Land called the Philippines

Mike, chances are very good that the Consular Officer won't look any further than the fact that she is married to an American citizen. That pretty much cinches a denial. Seldom do they look far enough to get to any justifications for actually approving the visa. They are predisposed to deny the visa before your wife ever gets to the interviewer. Now, if your wife is a politician or movie star, then that is different. Otherwise...sorry Charlie.

On the spousal visa, you either have to show sufficient income (I think it's about $17,000 but you can check their website for the exact amount) or have a sponsor (basically a co-signer) who does make over that minimum amount sign with you. Social Security or any other kind of income is OK as long as you come up to their minimum. Basically, they just want to make sure she won't end up on welfare...which is funny, because at $17,000 I think you would easily qualify for food stamps.

Mike, chances are very good that the Consular Officer won't look any further than the fact that she is married to an American citizen. That pretty much cinches a denial. Seldom do they look far enough to get to any justifications for actually approving the visa. They are predisposed to deny the visa before your wife ever gets to the interviewer. Now, if your wife is a politician or movie star, then that is different. Otherwise...sorry Charlie.

On the spousal visa, you either have to show sufficient income (I think it's about $17,000 but you can check their website for the exact amount) or have a sponsor (basically a co-signer) who does make over that minimum amount sign with you. Social Security or any other kind of income is OK as long as you come up to their minimum. Basically, they just want to make sure she won't end up on welfare...which is funny, because at $17,000 I think you would easily qualify for food stamps.

Yes with SS and VA I just make it over $17,000 (unless the VA gives me more next week - I won't hold my breath). I am wondering she has an Aunt who owns her own construction company and a Godfather (primary witness to our wedding) who owns one of the largest janitorial companies in Cebu - if they put her on the payroll would that qualify her here - Maybe I will just go for the Spousal - how much is that going to cost? And go from there

How about timing. I am not planning on returning until 2015 - if she applies for a Spousal now and it is granted how long will it last? How long does it take to get one?

Thanks

The Mason

Yes with SS and VA I just make it over $17,000 (unless the VA gives me more next week - I won't hold my breath). I am wondering she has an Aunt who owns her own construction company and a Godfather (primary witness to our wedding) who owns one of the largest janitorial companies in Cebu - if they put her on the payroll would that qualify her here - Maybe I will just go for the Spousal - how much is that going to cost? And go from there

How about timing. I am not planning on returning until 2015 - if she applies for a Spousal now and it is granted how long will it last? How long does it take to get one?

Thanks

Once a spousal visa is issued, you have 6 months from the date of issue to enter the US. The medical clearance also expires, but the expiration time for those varies from 3 months to 1 year. If she gets a clean bill of health, they're good for 1 year. Processing times vary, but figure 6-12 months. Total fees if you do it yourself are about $1000. They're spread out over the processing timeline so you don't need to come up with the $$ all at once. You'll also need to budget a multi-day trip to Manila.

Headshot

Thanks

The only income the US Consular Officer will look at is income in the US, so adding your wife to a payroll in Cebu won't do anything. If you aren't planning to go to the US until 2015, then wait until then to apply for the visa. The spousal visa is only good for six months, and part of that is taken up in sending it out to you. How long it takes to get a spousal visa (by DCF) is a moving target. Plan on six months, but some have gotten it in as little as three months when everything came together just right. Have her get a TB screen at least a year before you apply, so that if she comes up positive (as having been exposed), she will have time to go through the treatments and it won't delay you (hopefully). The downside of going for the spousal visa is that she has to pass the physical exam (part of which is a chest x-ray looking for TB).

USMC-Retired

Income and potential income are considered. Take myself for example. I have a BS Mathematics easily get a job teaching school or substituting at a school. I only have income via my pension from the Marine Corps. Though I do fall below the line as for poverty. (18,000 a year). My potential is greater and I have not worked in 4 years. So they could not expect me to have a job. So the 17,000 does not mean much if you have potential income. These are gray areas in the law. What is more important to establishing a healthy relationship or an extra 5,000 dollars. When the $5,000 could be obtained working a part time job at McDonald's. I have shelter and housing for us to live once we arrive. Last thing VA benefits do not count as income that is a benefit and non-taxable.

Income level seems to be the least of worries. I am just waiting the 2 year mark to apply for a visa. As that seems as the easiest of routes.

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

I'm wondering if your wife applied and was denied, for whatever reason, for some sort of Visa to Canada when she was married to the Canadian? I believe, that both countries have some system that if you apply for a visa and are denied, it becomes (quite unfairly IMHO) increasingly difficult to obtain a visa on your next application. That's what I was afraid of about my wife's denial. But its ok, I don't plan on vacationing there now in the near future.

And I didn't start this thread to be a US vs Canada thread, I believe you when you say there are dicks working in the Canadian system as well. Trust me, I know some of them. Also my wife's first experience to Canada was with an arrogant rude Immigration officer when she arrived in Calgary. And there I was telling her that most Canadians were friendly before she came here, I just forgot to tell her about the Customs and Immigrations officers!! LOL!

I agree - its not meant to be a US thing vs Canada thing. As i said my 2 friends who came to visit me are both Americans ! My beef is with US govt policy - and NOT with Americans.

Agreed; a couple of years back when I was on the job; my team & I were disallowed entry in the canadian boarder NY side when we were dispatched on an official mission requested by Canadian LE. Reason: "firearms carried where not on an approved list" LOL we were there to go into harms way & not on a hunting trip. Back into reality this could go both ways; could be an isolated incident.

What's Canadian LE? What possible official mission would, whatever the Canadian LE is, request Americans with guns to enter the country to go into "harms way"? Please educate me on that one. Otherwise yes, firearms carried where not on an approved list, is a very valid reason to deny entry into any country.

That is such CRAP. Typical government ineptitude. Sorry for your misfortune. its a shame there is not a decent bilateral agreement between the US and Canada.

Law Enforcement?

That makes sense. But since when do law enforcement officers from different jurisdictions of neighbouring countries (ie Canada/US) go into the other jurisdiction with weapons that are not cleared, and to get into "harms way?" Its not like we don't have enough police up here, and require assistance from the Americans every time the Vancouver Canucks lose the Stanley Cup final! LOL

The only thing I can think of was maybe the G20 summit, in Toronto?

softail

That makes sense. But since when do law enforcement officers from different jurisdictions of neighbouring countries (ie Canada/US) go into the other jurisdiction with weapons that are not cleared, and to get into "harms way?" Its not like we don't have enough police up here, and require assistance from the Americans every time the Vancouver Canucks lose the Stanley Cup final! LOL

The only thing I can think of was maybe the G20 summit, in Toronto?

My best guess is catching illegals crossing the border into the US. There is a big problem with that in that area. Could be a co-operative agreement between the two governments.

Doug

Davaoeno

My best guess is catching illegals crossing the border into the US. There is a big problem with that in that area. Could be a co-operative agreement between the two governments.

Doug

Uh, what area would that be ?? Only an American would think that a lot of illegal Canadians would want to cross into the US !!! :rofl:

Edited by davaolife