Sign in to follow this  
digiteye

Low cost home made mosquito repellent

digiteye

I was browsing the shelves in one of the pharmacies a few months ago and a funny local product caught my attention. It was called Aceite Manzanilla (whatever that means). It was a thick green oil in a bottle and according to the label its good for babies when they have stomach pain or they have difficulties with farting.

The instructions said it had to be applied on the stomach of the baby indicating it can't be harmful for an adult. I almost put it back on the shelf when I noticed that one of the ingredients was citronella oil, which is known for its mosquito repellent nature.

I bought one bottle for 32 pesos and tried. Well, it was very fiddly to apply and quite disgusting as the oil was thick and sticky. The mozzies however kept far away from me or started to bite parts with no treatment.

I kept on thinking and ended up buying 70% alcohol to mix the oil in. I added the mix in a pump spray bottle and voila! I had an easy to apply solution sprayed directly on the skin. If you are smart you wont have to spoil your hands for applying. But the mix separates so you have to shake well.

It works all the time despite the very little concentration of citronella oil in the original product. For 100 pesos (plus the price of the bottle which is a one time investment - available in ACE Hardware) you will have repellent for months. It comes out very cheap if you compare to OFF and other brands plus its easier to apply vs creams.

Warning: not all Aceite Manzanilla contains citronella oil, check the label before you buy.

Edited by digiteye

raytech

Sounds like it is worth a try. What is the ratio of the mix

Thanks

eggnoggin

fimd someone selling skin so soft by avon and apply after showers...rub the citronella product on the bottom of ones feet...it will be absorbed and come out ones pores...

rfm010

thanks for this. i've never understood why deet products are so hard/expensive to get here. maybe there is a reluctance on the part of locals to use such products but the department of health could do much in their anti-dengue campaigns by promoting such products and striving to make them more available.

i will give your product a try, but as raytech asks, can you be a bit more specific about the mix?

Stranded Shipscook

Its Chamomile Oil (Azdeite de Manzanilla )

Used a lot in Central America as well for the stomach thing. The Citronellea oil is a good benefit ..

Well known natural remedie against Mosquitos.

Thanks mate.

digiteye

Sounds like it is worth a try. What is the ratio of the mix

Thanks

I do it really empirical :wink: But my guess is 5% oil in alcohol would do the trick. If not you can increase the oil amount, the alcohol will absorb it but you always have to shake well before use - looks like this oil wont fully dilute in alcohol.

After all they apply on babies the pure oil undiluted so it wont harm the skin.

digiteye

thanks for this. i've never understood why deet products are so hard/expensive to get here. maybe there is a reluctance on the part of locals to use such products but the department of health could do much in their anti-dengue campaigns by promoting such products and striving to make them more available.

i will give your product a try, but as raytech asks, can you be a bit more specific about the mix?

In fact I try to spread the word among Filipnos, they really need something cheap to avoid dengue... I can't find cheaper than this. Most all of them know Aceite de Manzanilla.

Please read the label, if no citronella content, its useless. Unfortunately some brands seem not to have it. I use the "RHEA" brand from Philusa company.

broden

long as it doesn't leave you all greasy it sounds all good to me

digiteye

Its Chamomile Oil (Azdeite de Manzanilla )

Used a lot in Central America as well for the stomach thing. The Citronellea oil is a good benefit ..

Well known natural remedie against Mosquitos.

Thanks mate.

It will only work if the product contains citronella oil, chamomile oil wont affect mozzies itself.

digiteye

long as it doesn't leave you all greasy it sounds all good to me

This is the point by diluting with alcohol apart from easier application.