Screwed up and Ineffective System

Easyrider

As the three previous posters said, (i thanked them)

to the rest of your post :

The Philippines isn't USA, if you get this out of your head, you be much happier here. Go with the flow...

It's not me having the problems, it's Filipinos, so I don't need to get anything out of my head. It's Filipinos heads who are have to deal with the crazy systems in the Philippines.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Easyrider

• David Spicer

• shadow

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shall not go with the flow if there are ways around it...   As far as DFA visits etc. are concerned, it is always a good idea to do it in due time - if possible. One way around the long waiting l

My wife and I went to renew her passport in Tacloban last year, also to apply for my son's Philippine passport. We arrived about an hour after they opened, took our number and our seats, filled up the

BossHog

Most of us long-termers have been there, bro.

Understand your frustration.

The best thing to do is "grin and bear it". Trying to keep a sense of humour will help.

Venting on an internet forum seems a valid way to defuse your stress and avoid getting angry in public with the powers-that-be.

Best of luck with your current issue.

Mandingo

When my wife got her passport in Tacloban a couple years back it took less than a half day and she and her sister both got their NBI clearance and passport applications turned in. Could it be easier to go to some place other than Cebu or maybe she just got lucky? I think I would just pay the 700 and have somebody else deal with it for you.

David Spicer

I know she can get an appointment at DFA to apply for a Passport by going through a Travel Agency, but she was told that you can't get an appointment at NBI. I guess in the past a NBI employee could get you in without waiting in line but Manilyn was told they started prosecuting people for that now.

There is a NBI office here in Talisay City.

David Spicer

It's not me having the problems, it's Filipinos, so I don't need to get anything out of my head. It's Filipinos heads who are have to deal with the crazy systems in the Philippines.

This is not viewed as a problem by the masses. It is simply the norm.

Stranded Shipscook

"The screwed up and ineffective system" is caused by :

1.) Third world country trying to copy and go conform with First world standards.

2.) constantly changing requirements (technical ones, as the Passport safety requirements, as we know they only got one or two machines to make passports and they were down (Broken) for a while, creating a backlog.

3.) The fire in Robinsons (I assume,the center is closed in the moment) because i have seldom seen Filipinos doing their NBI clearance at the NBI itself, in fact i only did it once and then the next few times at the Robinson. As well as others (The Coastguard Auxiliary requires NBI clearance from its new members, and thats were we send them usually, if they are in the unknown)

4.) Understaffed, technical and personal.

So what to do ? Well, good tips are here already, and the current situation (caused by certain events) will probably improve soon anyway.

Best idea for everyone would be, not to expect and tolerate the fact, that the Philippines to become a first world country in our lifetime and go with the flow.

digiteye

We deal with this EVERY day - LTO, DFA, NBI, BIR, SSS, Pag-Ibig, City Hall, etc.

Once you know the wrinkles it's not as bad as it seems. The problem is no one at any government department tells you the whole process, so you are back and forth between different desks and different locations all the time. However the next time you do it, you know the process and it becomes easier and easier.

We do a lot of work helping people set up businesses here but we still sit in queues sometimes - in fact we are thinking of changing our business name from cebuexpatservices.com to cebusittinginqueues.com.

wewearproperpantsforyou.com could be added to address the recent joke made by the immigration authority on dress code. Before any attack, its a joke because people have to wait a LOT and there is no air con in any of these offices.

digiteye

Apparently the system don't want them to go abroad in masses to see life is possible without the [email protected]#%ck they have to live with here.

David Spicer

From Post #1: The same day, August 25, Manilyn and Che leave at 7:30PM going back to NBI. They arrived there at about 9:00PM. There were already a lot of people there waiting. Manilyn and Che plan to take turns sleeping, if they can sleep.

Continued:

Manilyn and Che arrived back home at 7:30am the next morning. They were very tired and went to bed. They couldn't sleep all night sitting in chairs that they had to pay P20 each to rent. And, there was no CR. After waiting there all night, the only thing accomplished was at about 6:00am Manilyn was given a small piece of paper with her name on it, #215, and 9-7-11, so that means she has to go back to NBI on September 7th. Manilyn asked if the numbers would be called out in order on Sep. 7th and she was told no, first come, first serve again.

Up to this point, Manilyn has not been allowed to enter the NBI building and no one at NBI has screened her documents.

A note to those who haven't delt with the systems here, you can read the requirements on their websites and think you have all the necessary documents but you are probably wrong because they will ask for documents you don't have or even thought of.

To be continued on September 7th.

And if they find out, or even suspect that she is involved with a foreigner, she might also have to attend the CFO seminar. At my suggestion, Celyn went through this in 2006 before I moved here. After getting there at 6 AM and waiting for 8 hours at DFA, something that she said made them suspect that she was involved with a foreigner and they told her to come back with a CFO completion certificate. She never did.

Both Celyn and DD need to get a Philippines passport eventually, and when the time comes we will simply go through a travel agent. As I understand it there is a very good one in Ayala but I can't remember their name. They handle everything for you and only 1 visit to DFA is required; to sign the paperwork and get your picture taken. Cost is in the neighborhood of P1,500 I think. I just have to light a fire under Celyn and get her to attend the CFO seminar. DD of course being a child doesn't need it. In a couple of years I want to take them both to Hong Kong; DD is too small to ride the rides at Disney right now.

Easyrider

There is a NBI office here in Talisay City.

Thanks, I didn't know there's a NBI office in Talisay. All of the Filipinos we talked to in Carcar go to the Cebu office.

The NBI website is almost useless. They should at least have a search feature for the closest NBI to your location. The only offices they list are in the Manila area.

Edited by Easyrider
Easyrider

And if they find out, or even suspect that she is involved with a foreigner, she might also have to attend the CFO seminar. At my suggestion, Celyn went through this in 2006 before I moved here. After getting there at 6 AM and waiting for 8 hours at DFA, something that she said made them suspect that she was involved with a foreigner and they told her to come back with a CFO completion certificate. She never did.

Both Celyn and DD need to get a Philippines passport eventually, and when the time comes we will simply go through a travel agent. As I understand it there is a very good one in Ayala but I can't remember their name. They handle everything for you and only 1 visit to DFA is required; to sign the paperwork and get your picture taken. Cost is in the neighborhood of P1,500 I think. I just have to light a fire under Celyn and get her to attend the CFO seminar. DD of course being a child doesn't need it. In a couple of years I want to take them both to Hong Kong; DD is too small to ride the rides at Disney right now.

Well, in a few days Manilyn will find out if they ask for a CFO seminar certificate. I know you are right though because as I already said they will ask for things that you don't even think of and some are not even on their Supporting Documents List, like the CFO seminar.

I plan to take Manilyn to another country too but I haven't decided which one yet. Disney in Hong Kong? That sounds like fun.

David Spicer

Thanks, I didn't know there's a NBI office in Talisay. All of the Filipinos we talked to in Carcar go to the Cebu office.

The NBI website is almost useless. They should at least have a search feature for the closest NBI to your location. The only offices they list are in the Manila area.

It's located next to the LTO and Robinsons. It was setup so people in Southern Metro Cebu wouldn't have to go all the way to Cebu City, and to relieve some of their workload. I guess that mission is not being very well accomplished if people aren't even aware that it's there. On the other hand, it's probably not very crowded either for the same reson.

Headshot

It is upstairs in the building next to Robinsons above the Hot Rocks Salon and Spa (not the fitness center). I believe they are limited in what they can do at the Talisay office though. The last time we were there, they could only process NBI clearance renewals...not new clearances (but that was last year). It may be worth checking into to see if they have expanded their services. That office doesn't have the lines the other NBI offices (Fuente and Capitol) have.

Edited by Headshot
Easyrider

It's located next to the LTO and Robinsons. It was setup so people in Southern Metro Cebu wouldn't have to go all the way to Cebu City, and to relieve some of their workload. I guess that mission is not being very well accomplished if people aren't even aware that it's there. On the other hand, it's probably not very crowded either for the same reson.

I just asked Manilyn if she knew about the NBI office in Talisay and she said yes, she was told about it in Cebu but it's closed because it got burnt. And, she didn't know why the NBI office in Cebu in Robinsons is closed. The only one open is the main office in Cebu City where she went.

mahogany

I shall not go with the flow if there are ways around it...

As far as DFA visits etc. are concerned, it is always a good idea to do it in due time - if possible. One way around the long waiting list is to visit those offices during heavy rains, preferably with storm signal warnings. My wife went on such an occasion and found the government office nearly empty at 7a.m.

Rain seems to the locals to be worse than the plague - so just make hay while it rains :lmao:

• Like 1