Screwed up and Ineffective System

Easyrider

Thursday August 18, 2011 Manilyn and our live-in friend Che left home at 5:00AM going to DFA in Cebu City to apply for a Passport. They arrived there at about 6:30AM and received number 82. 81 people had already arrived there before 6:30AM. We had read the requirements for a Passport on the DFA website and thought we had all the necessary documents. There was a lady outside the DFA building screening documents. She told Manilyn that she still needed one more document, a Baptismal Cetificate or a NBI Clearance. Manilyn never made it inside the building and she went back home.

Manilyn asks her father in Mindanao to send some copies of her Baptismal Certificate to her and they arrive within a few days.

Thursday August 25, 2011 Manilyn and Che leave home at 4:30AM and arrive at NBI at about 6:00AM hoping to get a low number so she can apply for a NBI Clearance and then go to DFA. There were already over 1,000 people waiting outside the NBI building and all of the numbers were already handed out. Their taxi driver told them that when he delivered a woman to DFA at 2:30AM her number was 300 and something. They leave and go to DFA. This time Manilyn gets to go inside the DFA building. An employee inside the building tells her that she needs both documents, not just one, so she leaves and comes back home. Arriving home at 2:30PM.

The same day, August 25, Manilyn and Che leave at 7:30PM going back to NBI. They arrived there at about 9:00PM. There were already a lot of people there waiting. Manilyn and Che plan to take turns sleeping, if they can sleep.

It's almost 11:00PM now. I'm sitting at home hoping they are all right. I know they will be dead tired when they get home tomorrow.

When I applied for my Passport in America, I went to the Post Office, filed out a 1 1/2 page form, showed the clerk my Driver License and paid the $90 fee. My passport came to my home in the mail 6 weeks later.

For 30 years working for the US Government I had a Secret Security Clearance, I never had to go to a FBI, NSA or any other Security Agency building. And, I sure didn't have to go somewhere in the middle of the night to do any kind of paper work.

Let this be a warning for anyone who hasn't delt with the system here, it's f..ked up. It seems like they want everything to be hard and difficult and there's always fees for everything.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Easyrider

• David Spicer

• USMC-Retired

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shall not go with the flow if there are ways around it...   As far as DFA visits etc. are concerned, it is always a good idea to do it in due time - if possible. One way around the long waiting l

My wife and I went to renew her passport in Tacloban last year, also to apply for my son's Philippine passport. We arrived about an hour after they opened, took our number and our seats, filled up the

USMC-Retired

I have heard it was bad. Just no idea. Thanks

ancienrocka

We deal with this EVERY day - LTO, DFA, NBI, BIR, SSS, Pag-Ibig, City Hall, etc.

Once you know the wrinkles it's not as bad as it seems. The problem is no one at any government department tells you the whole process, so you are back and forth between different desks and different locations all the time. However the next time you do it, you know the process and it becomes easier and easier.

We do a lot of work helping people set up businesses here but we still sit in queues sometimes - in fact we are thinking of changing our business name from cebuexpatservices.com to cebusittinginqueues.com.

If you are still having problems with the NBI or DFA send me a PM or better still an email to [email protected]

Head off to a travel agent and pay them p700 and they will handle all the nonsense for you.

shadow

This is exactly why it is often much easier (and cheaper) to pay someone a small fee, who knows the way through the mazes.

Larry in Dumaguete

Stranded Shipscook

As the three previous posters said, (i thanked them)

to the rest of your post :

The Philippines isn't USA, if you get this out of your head, you be much happier here. Go with the flow...

lazydays

Interesting coz i want to get my wife a passport later, so we can take a trip to Singapore.

Its always been a promise of mine to show her a succesful Asian country that made it to 1st world status.

For P700, i think we will go the Travel Agent route.

Edited by lazydays
HeyMike

I just asked my wife how she got her passport. Yep, she said she used an agency for her initial passport (not renewal). In fact, I believe we used an agency for her renewal as well.

USMC-Retired

As the three previous posters said, (i thanked them)

to the rest of your post :

The Philippines isn't USA, if you get this out of your head, you be much happier here. Go with the flow...

Right it is not the USA of or any other country. However it should not be treating its citizens in this manner either. Where you have to get in line at 9pm the previous day to get a number for the next day. That is just unbelievable. Sad in a way.

aussiedon

I remember my ex wife applying for her passport at the CEBU DFA. going there the night before, it was ok for her to have a stand in , in the que for the night which she did, but the standin has to be a relative and you need documentation to prove that. so in the morning the exwife could go there and takeover when the que got shorter.

Nangulo

Other Supporting Documents

Please bring the following if they are available.

Marriage Contract

Land Title

Driver's License

Government Service Record

School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with dry seal

Other documents that show full name and birth details of applicant and/or citizenship

Voter's Registration Record from COMELEC Intramuros

Baptismal Certificate with dry seal

Seaman's Book

Income Tax Return (Old)

NBI Clearance

The way I read this, these documents are no mandatory, merely supportive. In order to get passport, DFA website requires NSO BC, authenticated original BC and one original ID.

http://epassport.com.ph/requirements

or

http://www.dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/passport

Edited by Nangulo
David Spicer

Head off to a travel agent and pay them p700 and they will handle all the nonsense for you.

Which is always my choice for mostly everything here.

Easyrider

Which is always my choice for mostly everything here.

I know she can get an appointment at DFA to apply for a Passport by going through a Travel Agency, but she was told that you can't get an appointment at NBI. I guess in the past a NBI employee could get you in without waiting in line but Manilyn was told they started prosecuting people for that now.

Easyrider

From Post #1: The same day, August 25, Manilyn and Che leave at 7:30PM going back to NBI. They arrived there at about 9:00PM. There were already a lot of people there waiting. Manilyn and Che plan to take turns sleeping, if they can sleep.

Continued:

Manilyn and Che arrived back home at 7:30am the next morning. They were very tired and went to bed. They couldn't sleep all night sitting in chairs that they had to pay P20 each to rent. And, there was no CR. After waiting there all night, the only thing accomplished was at about 6:00am Manilyn was given a small piece of paper with her name on it, #215, and 9-7-11, so that means she has to go back to NBI on September 7th. Manilyn asked if the numbers would be called out in order on Sep. 7th and she was told no, first come, first serve again.

Up to this point, Manilyn has not been allowed to enter the NBI building and no one at NBI has screened her documents.

A note to those who haven't delt with the systems here, you can read the requirements on their websites and think you have all the necessary documents but you are probably wrong because they will ask for documents you don't have or even thought of.

To be continued on September 7th.

Easyrider

Other Supporting Documents

Please bring the following if they are available.

Marriage Contract

Land Title

Driver's License

Government Service Record

School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with dry seal

Other documents that show full name and birth details of applicant and/or citizenship

Voter's Registration Record from COMELEC Intramuros

Baptismal Certificate with dry seal

Seaman's Book

Income Tax Return (Old)

NBI Clearance

The way I read this, these documents are no mandatory, merely supportive. In order to get passport, DFA website requires NSO BC, authenticated original BC and one original ID.

http://epassport.com.ph/requirements

or

http://www.dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/passport

Their website says, "if they are available." but the employees say they are required. This is true for most documents Filipinos apply for. Are the websites wrong or the employees? Sounds like stupidity to me.