Short English lesson

tom_shor

I would not mind an english/grammar moderator on the LinC. God knows I could use the help, and I would welcome it!.......just a thought. The appointed moderator teacher would only intercede if a member requested the coaching, and only to those members. It would be there for all to see, but others might benefit by the lessons as well.

........in other words........ if a members grammar is poor, coach them! If they request it.

It is one thing to speak well, yet another to compose cogent thoughts on paper/posts.

.just a thought.....

It crossed my mind a few times to mention something then I saw crossed up word useage. I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to insult them. Besides I don't want anyone grading my English (American) either. :P

Besides that kind of stuff could really take a thread off topic in a hurry. So as long as I can figure out what they mean I just keep it to myself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• SkyMan

• Jess Bartone

• Aaron

Top Posters In This Topic

SkyMan

The problem with nominating yourself to the grammar police is that you now need to be absolutely perfect with your own grammar and spelling or you will hear about it from everyone. I think it's best to just live with it and realize there are various levels of English abilities here and people are going to make mistakes.

Edited by SkyMan
tom_shor

The problem with nominating yourself to the grammar police is that you now need to be absoltely prefect with your own grammar and spelling or you will hear about it from everyone. I think it's best to just live with it and realize there are various levels of English abilitiesw here and people are going to make mistakes.

Exactly.

All jokes aside, I cringe every time I see "there, their and they're" mixed up.

KonGC

Aaahh.... There, Their, They're now.... don't worry :P

IT will pass :D

Edited by EAGLE
tom_shor

Aaahh.... There, Their, They're now.... don't worry :D

IT will pass :cheers:

Just like a kidney stone. :P

KennyF

A teacher in high school, once told the class "It's worth remembering that English is the study of the English language as it used to be spoken".

KonGC

A teacher in high school, once told the class "It's worth remembering that English is the study of the English language as it used to be spoken".

KonGC

The English language "evolves"

Live with it.

IT lives.

Edited by EAGLE
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

The English language "evolves"

Live with it.

IT lives.

it not only evolves

english is ever evolving

who's to say what is proper english

KennyF

it not only evolves

english is ever evolving

Non moi.

KonGC

Headshot

The problem with nominating yourself to the grammar police is that you now need to be absolutely perfect with your own grammar and spelling or you will hear about it from everyone. I think it's best to just live with it and realize there are various levels of English abilities here and people are going to make mistakes.

Don't you know that the POLICE are NEVER wrong in the Philippines? :sick:

Edited by Headshot

Non moi.

KonGC

it not only evolves

english is ever evolving

Not me - either.

The answer is transient.

Edited by EAGLE

It is almost impossible not to be confused on some English words since few words may sound the same but then differ on meaning. What the OP had mentioned are example of those confusing English words that even people from English speaking countries suffers almost the same mistake.