Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

Non-Iodized Salt

RogerDat

Greetings! I will try to make salt pork. (fatback)

I need to find Kosher salt, sea salt, or rock salt, packaged type, not bulk.

Anyone see it lately?

Thanks

easy44

I think almost all of the above are available locally. I just bought a box of kosher salt at S&R 2 weeks ago, but have seen it as well as sea salt at Metro Ayala supermarket.

KennyF

Maybe I'm teaching you to suck eggs Roger but be aware that idolized salt is a no no in most kinds of food preservation and further, that it is against the law to sell non iodized salt in RP.

That said, some supermarkets (Ayala for sure) stock an imported range of Mortons including kosher and ice cream.

In past posts members have indicated that wet markets will sell you non iodized salt (I find that risky because you don't know what the hell they give you).

KonGC

digiteye

In past posts members have indicated that wet markets will sell you non iodized salt (I find that risky because you don't know what the hell they give you).

I can't think of any chemical which looks and tastes like salt and is cheaper than that... So what would be the point for any local to sell it in the mercado?

Edited by digiteye

KennyF

I can't think of any chemical which looks and tastes like salt and is cheaper than that... So what would be the point for any local to sell it in the mercado?

You miss the point.

What we want is NON iodized salt because iodized salt makes preserved food taste yuk..

So whatever salt your market man has is automatically "non iodized sir"

If you were to ask for iodized you would hear " Sure thing sir, best quality iodized"

All the same product, all iodized salt.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Rock salt is available at wet markets in the Province and surely in Cebu too, even sea salt.Anybody who produces Dry fish knows.(Tabunok) But to make sure, Tropical Snow Hills in Oriental Mindoro supplies some other sausage makers.

Got no address or phone, but you may can google it. I am sure there are others also.

Other Yip - Go to whitegold, they got all types in the shelves

Edited by Guenther

KennyF

Rock salt is available at wet markets in the Province and surely in Cebu too, even sea salt.Anybody who produces Dry fish knows.(Tabunok) But to make sure, Tropical Snow Hills in Oriental Mindoro supplies some other sausage makers.

Got no address or phone, but you may can google it. I am sure there are others also.

Other Yip - Go to whitegold, they got all types in the shelves

I think you might be missing the point too.

All salt by law must be iodized in the Philippines ( see below).

So far so good.

If you ask for NON iodized salt, all vendors will say they have it, BUT it's actually iodized.

Not only does iodized salt produce off flavors, it can generate toxins in some preservation methods, especially, but not limited to, smoking.

*-------------

History of Salt Iodization in the Philippines

* Salt Iodization was launched in 1993 by President Fidel V. Ramos through the “Ending Hidden Hunger” Conference as part of the effort to address the micro nutrient deficiency problem.

* R.A 8172 “An Act Promoting Salt Iodization Nationwide” or the ASIN Law was passed in December 1995. It requires all food grade salt for human and animal consumption be iodized

*-------------

KonGC

John B

Non-Iodized salt, sea salt, rock salt, prague salt are all available in ayala metro, white gold, robinsons on catcj as catch can availability. Praque was unavailable for about 6 months but is everywhere for the last few months. Just have to scrutinze every package on the shelves and keep looking. I make my own bacon, sausage and hams. I now have at least a years supply of non-iodized salt, rock salt and Praque salt in stock. It is a law that salt sold for personal consumption must be ipdized, non-iodized salt is still sold (tho damn difficult to find) for such endeavors as curing meats.

cebubird

S&R always has shelf fullo of different brands of non-iodized salt.

Bill

Stranded Shipscook

You miss the point.

What we want is NON iodized salt because iodized salt makes preserved food taste yuk..

So whatever salt your market man has is automatically "non iodized sir"

If you were to ask for iodized you would hear " Sure thing sir, best quality iodized"

All the same product, all iodized salt.

KonGC

Sorry to say, but i did not miss the point. When i joined the Kiwanis Club of Cebu in the Year 1999, one of our major campaign project was to promote the use of iodized salt due to the problems associated for children.

it was only stopped recently due to the now widespread knowledge and use of Iodized Salt. But it was also mentioned that the use of non-iodized salt is still rampant and problematic in the provinces. Which is why the other organization i am active in, (PCGA) has have to perform many "goiter" operations in the provinces every year.

However, the Kiwanis Club can only be active in a limited range, so the project was dropped for other more important ones on the Agenda. The PCGA then has the "work" to do...

Now the law is there, but not observed. The producers (saltmines etc.) also sell large quantities as "industrial salt" for very cheap and this is what causes the problem.

Refining,Packing and distribution are the culprits.

on the other hand you are correct- if someone would produce sausages or other items by using non-iodized salt, and sells them, he breaks the law.

for those i paste this link:

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno8172.htm

KennyF

Sorry to say, but i did not miss the point.

I think you did.

Ask a market vendor if he can sell you 5 kilos of NON iodized salt and he will say "yes"

Then the chances are that he gives you iodized anyway.

My point is that genuine non iodized salt is hard to find in RP.

I and several others searched high and low in 2009~ 2010 and only found guaranteed non iodized in Ayala (Mortons).

And before a member tells me that it's available in his local wet market, I ask that member "how do you know?"

Morton's various non iodized salts are clearly marked and come with a printed warning on the label.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

I think you did.

Ask a market vendor if he can sell you 5 kilos of NON iodized salt and he will say "yes"

Then the chances are that he gives you iodized anyway.

My point is that genuine non iodized salt is hard to find in RP.

I and several others searched high and low in 2009~ 2010 and only found guaranteed non iodized in Ayala (Mortons).

And before a member tells me that it's available in his local wet market, I ask that member "how do you know?"

Morton's various non iodized salts are clearly marked and come with a printed warning on the label.

KonGC

ok, now i see it, sometimes i am a bit "slowish", hehehe.

Well, if it is (the use on I-salt) as some meat processor said here, he will find that out the hard way then.

RogerDat

Greetings!

I know where a big pile of industrial salt is located as big as one of the chocolate hills! It is in NRA on left side going to SM from Mactan, under large tarps.

My neighbor's used to get something in market, non iodized, cause if iodized, it was too expensive they said. I gave some to them I bought with iodine in Gasinos for the same price they paid in market.

It sometimes makes the feet of the kids of my neighbors swell, and they get UTI constantly. I got very upset, and distributed some iodized salt, and have not had any of these complaints recently. MAYBE they finely got the message. I have no idea what they were eating. Sometimes they showed me what appeared to be the stuff they made from "salt bush" in upland Thailand. They didn't know what salt bush was, so I think it was crude sea salt with the brine still mixed in. Brine poisoning is what most of them resembled. (what you get drinking sea water)

ANYWAY, I have seen Kosher salt in Ayla before, just didn't need it at the time.

I been using table salt for my sausage, maybe that's why I use so much. I thought it was cause of the nerve they cut in my mouth during surgery, (lost a lit of taste buds on that slip of the knife).

Next batch of sausage will try non iodized when I locate it.

Thank to all for the input.

KennyF

Greetings!

I know where a big pile of industrial salt is located as big as one of the chocolate hills! It is in NRA on left side going to SM from Mactan, under large tarps.

My neighbor's used to get something in market, non iodized, cause if iodized, it was too expensive they said. I gave some to them I bought with iodine in Gasinos for the same price they paid in market.

It sometimes makes the feet of the kids of my neighbors swell, and they get UTI constantly. I got very upset, and distributed some iodized salt, and have not had any of these complaints recently. MAYBE they finely got the message. I have no idea what they were eating. Sometimes they showed me what appeared to be the stuff they made from "salt bush" in upland Thailand. They didn't know what salt bush was, so I think it was crude sea salt with the brine still mixed in. Brine poisoning is what most of them resembled. (what you get drinking sea water)

ANYWAY, I have seen Kosher salt in Ayla before, just didn't need it at the time.

I been using table salt for my sausage, maybe that's why I use so much. I thought it was cause of the nerve they cut in my mouth during surgery, (lost a lit of taste buds on that slip of the knife).

Next batch of sausage will try non iodized when I locate it.

Thank to all for the input.

What kind of sausages are you making, fresh or preserved (like salami)?

KonGC