Sign in to follow this  
streak03

Family Planning Thailand vs RP

Edwin

I agree with the first part of your post. I don't agree with your attack on a poster.

Easy44 attacks the poster Udonthani, Davaolife thanks him, next will be thanks from UZI and probably Jesse. Has anybody but me noticed a clique forming here is it just my imagination?

Dennis

I noticed it, too. They creep out of the darkest corners of the hidden forums when the sun goes down. I think they might be Zombies.

easy44

I agree with the first part of your post. I don't agree with your attack on a poster.

Easy44 attacks the poster Udonthani, Davaolife thanks him, next will be thanks from UZI and probably Jesse. Has anybody but me noticed a clique forming here is it just my imagination?

Dennis

LOL! Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that, but Udon does it so often I just couldn't resist. I know I'm not the only one he pisses off with his arrogant posts. As far as a clique goes, I really don't have much in common with the guys you mentioned.

Alan S

I'm undecided whether to close this thread or just delete a batch of messages.

On the other hand, I might just ban a few people. Havent banned anyone for a few days, and the "ban finger" is getting itchy!

So, take this as a warning.

Do NOT attack other posters.

Secondly, lets get back to the topic, which is Thailand vs Philippines and not China.

ArieBombarie

Do they like Filipinas?

I read an article that was about many Chinese men who stayed single getting brides from rural vietnam

ArieBombarie

That is the least of China's worries (unless you are a young man there looking for a wife). If you think the US has a problem supporting its social welfare programs, it pales by comparison to the problem China is about to experience. With their rapid decline in births starting in the 1960s, China has a huge number of people getting close to retirement with far fewer people left in the workforce to support all of those old people. It will turn into a real crisis in the next twenty years.

they dropped the 1 child policy I think their population is expanding not declining as in some western countries (if you leave out immigration)

DealChief

"the bigger the family, the poorer they are. Of course not always, but that seems to be more the rule than the exception."

Among exceptions, big families among Mormons and "Quiver-full" Pentecostal Christians seem to do OK.

"I really hate to see a young person with a ton of potential have to quit school and go to work"

Here in America, I hate to see a kid waste 16 years studying liberal arts when he could have learned and taken over a family business. I do recognize that education is more important in a developing country. But a categorical cult of formal education does a disservice to an economy that needs rapid growth.

"Dr. Nibhon Debavalya, Thailand’s leading population expert... Meechai Viravaidya, the family planning and anti-HIV-AIDS activist..., answers the same question with the same story."

These are paid propagandists. Ask them what causes poverty and you already know what they are going to say.

Families were huge in America when our economy was growing the fastest. Births per woman have been dropping since contraception, abortion and p*ornography were all legalized, yet now the country is de-industrialized and broke. How does that correlate? Where is the promised prosperity? Where are the jobs?

"So Meechai and Nibhon are right: while not denying the influence of other factors, one cannot deny that the rapid reduction of population growth and fertility in Thailand and its slow decline in the Philippines played a very major role in explaining the difference"

Uh, you can, and I do.

"smaller families, triggered a higher savings and investment rate"

Or maybe many Thais save with a Chinese work ethic, and many Filipinos save with the habits learned from showboating Spaniards and happy-go-lucky Americans? Maybe the Thai monarchy and its militarized aristocracy does a better job of guided capitalism? Maybe Thais work a little harder?

"Thailand grew by a sizzling 8 to 10 percent per annum from 1985 to 1995... Meanwhile, the Philippines posted a 1-percent annual GDP growth rate"

Could this be the real problem - rather than too many Filipinos?

Do men really work harder because they have fewer children?

"Thailand now has a higher proportion of elderly people than a few years ago.... Few are alarmed by this prospect, however.... Meanwhile, much manual and service work is rapidly being filled by migrant workers"

Different place, same sh*t. Misgovern the country, fail to grow the economy in real terms, and then make up the difference by the short-term fix of family size. Fill the void in future workers by replacing the missing population with immigrants.

"the family planning program must not be an on-and-off affair, but must enjoy the sustained support of the government through time."

Full employment for bureaucrats and NGO grant-whores.

"In fact, we have no choice... "

Interesting phrase there, isn't it?

-Hike