Sign in to follow this  
questsea73

Line cutter-inners; DIY disciple with pepper spray

questsea73

An evening or so ago I remember one of our posters mentioned he didn't tolerate people cutting into the line he was in, in PI......in other words disregarding the rights of the others in line in front of you by pushing in or inserting yourself at the head of the line, or in any case in front of you.

This is one of my decades-long gripes about Asia as I have found it rather common in several places, two that come to mind were Bombay and Seoul(Kimpo airport long ago). I have choosen to "grin" and bear it in the past, really disliking lines, but now at age 60+ and my back not happy with long periods on my feet, I wonder.....

With the tremendous population in Asia I can see one falling further and further back in line...in any given line....in all lines...as the babies roll off the human production line and get old enough to go to bank, electric company, water company, cable company, restaurant, movie theater, LTO,.....you name it.....by the time I have moved 5 feet forward in the line trying to get to the cashier, 5 more kids have reached the age that they need to see cashier also and have come into the establishment behind me--with 1 or 2 thinking they should be at the head of the line....because they have important parent, or are in a hurry, or who cares about that old geezer up ahead surrounded by peons.....

How common do you find line cutting there in your areas? How arrogant do you find it? I am one who believes it is not necessarily bad to have a police charge on the books to enforce when needed for ((arrogance)) as I believe posters on forum have mentioned in regard to foreigners being brought to police station for traffic violation.

If a foreigner objects to this line cutter and he(assume 99% would be male) refuses to take his proper place in line (I assume also that everyone else in line assumes a sheep-like attitude) wouldn't this be an appropriate place to unsnap one's high strength pepper spray from his belt and ask the question again?

What would likely be the reaction(consequence) of spraying someone who resisted being placed back in line? Would the others in line be supportive? Would the police charge you with assault?

Has anyone seen a similar episode or is pepper spray mostly carried around to subdue violent drinking buddies, if the old standby overhead swing of San Miguel bottle application over the head doesn't work or in armed robbery attempts?

Wonder if there is a special strength spray that one could selectively use on Koreans? Or a scented pepper spray you could use on self-important female offenders such as female Judges? Or one might chose to use the pepper spray with tear gas in it if it is a tour group of Koreans who cut in?

Ken

BossHog

Dude,

Koreans are immune to pepper spray,

In fact, it's primary ingredient in their cuisine.

Headshot
What would likely be the reaction(consequence) of spraying someone who resisted being placed back in line? Would the others in line be supportive? Would the police charge you with assault?

I think you can probably forget about going to the movie at that point. You are going to have other things to keep you busy for a while...like security guards and police with drawn guns.

:ROFLMAO:

As you mentioned, line cutting is part of the culture in Asia. Unless there are strong laws to prevent it, it will seriously affect traffic on the streets. Everybody seems to be in a hurry and that THEY are more important than anyone else around them. The fact that politicians and their cronies are typically driven around in motorcades while other traffic is forced to wait is a great example of that. People trying to cut into a traffic lane after going around a long line of backed up traffic is another example. People who do that have no respect for others. Why do you suppose they would act any different at the theater or the airport?

However, if we try to "teach them a lesson" in respect for others by spraying them with pepper spray, it will not end well for us. It truly is better...when somebody does that...to just walk out of the line until you are in front of them...and cut in front of them. No pepper spray is required...no jail time either.

Or...you can just let it pass...because it isn't likely that anything you do will change their behavior. Being the second person to commit an offense almost guarantees that YOU will be caught.

Edited by Headshot

Nangulo

There are places with lines, like check-out counters at Gaisano, where the ladies will remind you to que up at the end.

Then there are places without lines, like panderias, where it's a free for all. Places like these, where people come up after me and want to push in front, seem immune to things like, "Ang linea sa likod nako (the line is behind me)."

You gotta learn to push forward with elbows and shoulders, just like the locals. Nobody gets pissed, it's just the way they do it. When in Rome, ...

Stranded Shipscook

You go to Prison. And get beat up as well. Probably to death.

Pepperspray in closed rooms,worse, a department store with circuilt ventilation?

Jeez, you gonna have court cases until the end of your live from hundreds of peoples claiming a Million each for injuries and psychological problems of going into department stores since then, and thats just the ones which were really there.

Wombat No More

Don't take him too seriously fella's... It's a nice dream and we are allowed to dream about what we could do to these arrogant scumbags who "don't care" about anyone else except themselves. And this place is definitely overpopulated with such folk. Anyway, dream on mate, we all do it and sometimes we share those violent tendencies towards such ill mannered people, here on the forums... But a few too many take such thoughts and wishes a little too seriously here?

I mean, we could walk up behind them and give em the biggest kick, fair up the arse, that they have ever likely had.

We could pour the contents of our soft drink etc all over their mangy head.

We could physically drag them from the front of the line all the way to the back where they belong.

We could punch their lights out.

There's heaps of things we'd love to do but we just like to dream about it... Keep dreamin

SkyMan

I walked into Globelines in Ayala the other day and to one of the million or so, "Good Morning Sirs" I said, "Hi, I need to get my service transferred to a new place. The girl points me to the express cust service line and there's no one in expect the guy currently being helped at the counter. So I figure great and I walk in to the line and some guy I walked past who was on a laptop bops over and sir, I was in line I was just on the computer over here. To which I respond, "Nice story." The guy looks a way a few minutes and then says, so is it ok motioning toward the open space between me and the guy getting helped. I say "Knock yourself out." He says, ok, I'll just go log off and leaves. At that moment the guy at the counter is done so I walk up. I sure as hell am not going to wait for get finished surfing and leave poor girl unattended. So I go up there and of course she says I have to go to some other line. The way I figure, you're in the line or you're not. Hanging around near the line surfing the net is not in the line.

Headshot

I walked into Globelines in Ayala the other day and to one of the million or so, "Good Morning Sirs" I said, "Hi, I need to get my service transferred to a new place. The girl points me to the express cust service line and there's no one in expect the guy currently being helped at the counter. So I figure great and I walk in to the line and some guy I walked past who was on a laptop bops over and sir, I was in line I was just on the computer over here. To which I respond, "Nice story." The guy looks a way a few minutes and then says, so is it ok motioning toward the open space between me and the guy getting helped. I say "Knock yourself out." He says, ok, I'll just go log off and leaves. At that moment the guy at the counter is done so I walk up. I sure as hell am not going to wait for get finished surfing and leave poor girl unattended. So I go up there and of course she says I have to go to some other line. The way I figure, you're in the line or you're not. Hanging around near the line surfing the net is not in the line.

So...did you get your service transferred...or did he come over and cut in front of you in the new line? :)