what not to do at the BI

Bob Ward

Well now, I don't want to distract you kiddies but here's how I have handled my visa needs over many years.

When my first visa extension is due after 28 or 29 day or whatever it is, I go to a travel agent I know in Cebu city, AC or wherever I am and hand them my passport and the necessary pesos fee. And that's the last I see of my passport for 2 years.

When the visa falls due they email me an invoice, I direct bank that amount and two days later they email me back a photo copy of the necessary pages of my passport to "carry with me at all times".

They even write and forward the "why I would like to stay a few more months" letter when I get to the 16th month point.

In Cebu city I have used among others, Blue Horizon and in AC and Manila Swagman's but there are dozens of them.

The fee for this service per visa? LESS THAN $10.

Get a grip guys, there are better things to do in SEA than hang around government offices.

KonGC

If people have the dosh to hire it out, so be it! But I have serious doubts about the actual fees you are paying, and not just to one special agency, but multiple. The average fee when I was using an agency was about P500-600 with the majority being P600. This was four years ago. Now I know for certain that the vast majority have raised their rates to P700+. So you are telling me that you are getting it done, including storing the passport and emailing documents for P400 or less! Sorry mate, but color me skeptical!

Update! I posted this when I read the post and before reading onward.

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• EAGLE

• Stranded Shipscook

• Englishman_on_Tour

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be at least 1 loud whinging yob every time in the office when i go for an extension. When they sit down next to me and tell me what's wrong with the BI.

The first time I extended my Visa I googled BI to find out where it was - they had the dress code listed - I shared with my then Fiancee and we appeared with long pants, tennis shoes, Collared shirt o

Posted Images

KennyF

Sorry mate, but color me skeptical!

Up to you.

But you only think you know.

Whereas I know.

Blue Horizon went from 500 to 1000 about 3 years ago, but not for a group of long time customers.

Swagman AC (opposite Swagman pub, not the one on Fields) did my last one about 18 months ago and charged me 400.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Guenther is well versed in and on he Philippines, but nobody is perfect. He is wrong on this one I hate to say. First, corruption at the BoI has diminished considerably in recent times. Secondly the chances of someone approaching your SO for bribes is ultra slim irregardless. Actually my wife has gone with me a couple of times in the past after they were trying to hit me for money. They never even thought about it with her there! So, there is not a one size fits all here! LOL

I agree that nobody is perfect. And of course everyone has different experiences. And also, if one notes, i myself brought my ex-wife to the immi when i did my procedures. but as said, she was somewhat "special" in those matters. :thats-funny: in my case they also never ever even thought about it anymore until many years later, which is today!

good to hear that the "impression" of corruption at the Mandaue Office has gone down. But it was, i think i brought personally about 20 or so guys through their procedures myself, as you know, i am a helpful person and why not. One got time here (I did that free of course, just coz i liked them) btw- i usually tell 'em to wait outside or not to say a single word, while i do the things, just in case they blabber BS.

Now, my advise on the gf or wife thing is solely based upon what the Immigration people told me themselves, as i have them in my Restaurant about every four weeks since 10 years. The are here because they clear the ships crews which leave the Philippines from Balamban on their new ships. And sometimes they have a bit of R&R afterwards and talk. Since i am a buddy of one of the higher ups, they feel more comfy also.

The experience among us know perfectly which type of woman (prone to victimizing by BI ) i am referring to anyway...

And in fat letters, i can only write what i think, know, feel just as anybody else. I think this is understood by every forum member.

If the opinions diverse, i also can analyze why ? Its all about the general "attitude".

Now- here is another "advise"

if i want to ask something and have the choice of several answers- who do i listen too ?

The one who got always trouble with authorities ?

Or the one who didn't had any problems ?

:ROFLMAO:

Example - i would NOT listen to ME in a topic about how to keep a marriage with a Pinay, i had TWO Pinay exwifes and numerous ex live-in partners. Nether the less i would listen to me in what went wrong.

Edited by Guenther
Stranded Shipscook

I'm not going to quote 'RON C' but i'd like to thank him for brightening up an otherwise dull day. The irony was top class :thats-funny:

I really dont get this advice at all unless you're just coming from a 'hopeless kano who can't or refuses to do anything for himself' angle?

I dont have a problem moving around the smaller cities alone but I still find travelling around Cebu alone pretty daunting so having the gf come with me to BoI is a necessity, just to get there. However, once inside then it really is my business which I take care of. Negotiations, for what exactly?. Maybe I'm just lucky and nobody has approached her in the BoI office?. Even if they did I'm too kuripot to be parting with more than I have to :ROFLMAO:

RON C has other troubles, severe ones in my opinion. Number one is that the Filipinos do not like him.

Now to the question- I thought i explained and reasoned why. Maybe i have to be more drastically.

I am talking solely about Bargirls, very poorly educated Pinays from the "bukids" and other woman which are 'afraid" of authorities.

Or even the girl which a guy knows for a few (21 ) days only, dating site stuff.

They are (if good girls) ashamed when asked (and they are always asked) the questions about their relation to the person. Some officers do exploit that.

I could go on know about general culture, attitude and feelings of Filipinos, because it all plays a big role.

Anyhow, my advise was solely for those which just sit and let the female do the formalities. Not you, coz as you said, u do it yourself.

So it doesn't affect you.

clear now ? :ROFLMAO:

Bob Ward

Up to you.

But you only think you know.

Whereas I know.

Blue Horizon went from 500 to 1000 about 3 years ago, but not for a group of long time customers.

Swagman AC (opposite Swagman pub, not the one on Fields) did my last one about 18 months ago and charged me 400.

KonGC

And that is why I posted the update to my post. I saw that you were grandfathered in!

But you still state in the post that you use others and there are lots of them, implying that they all charge P400. So there was the main crux of my skepticism (doubt). I never stated that I knew you did not get it done for P400!

Stranded Shipscook

Well now, I don't want to distract you kiddies but here's how I have handled my visa needs over many years.

When my first visa extension is due after 28 or 29 day or whatever it is, I go to a travel agent I know in Cebu city, AC or wherever I am and hand them my passport and the necessary pesos fee. And that's the last I see of my passport for 2 years.

When the visa falls due they email me an invoice, I direct bank that amount and two days later they email me back a photo copy of the necessary pages of my passport to "carry with me at all times".

They even write and forward the "why I would like to stay a few more months" letter when I get to the 16th month point.

In Cebu city I have used among others, Blue Horizon and in AC and Manila Swagman's but there are dozens of them.

The fee for this service per visa? LESS THAN $10.

Get a grip guys, there are better things to do in SEA than hang around government offices.

KonGC

:thats-funny: Thats the spirit, Carpe diem !

Edited by Guenther
Englishman_on_Tour

RON C has other troubles, severe ones in my opinion. Number one is that the Filipinos do not like him.

Now to the question- I thought i explained and reasoned why. Maybe i have to be more drastically.

I am talking solely about Bargirls, very poorly educated Pinays from the "bukids" and other woman which are 'afraid" of authorities.

Or even the girl which a guy knows for a few (21 ) days only, dating site stuff.

They are (if good girls) ashamed when asked (and they are always asked) the questions about their relation to the person. Some officers do exploit that.

I could go on know about general culture, attitude and feelings of Filipinos, because it all plays a big role.

Anyhow, my advise was solely for those which just sit and let the female do the formalities. Not you, coz as you said, u do it yourself.

So it doesn't affect you.

clear now ? :thats-funny:

No worries, as I suspected you were referring to a specific group, you wasn't clear in your initial post hence my questioning.

Bottom line is, we should all be responsible for our own actions when visiting BoI (or any other Govt/official department). Take your gf if you wish by all means, just dont rely on her to do business. Now we are in agreement :ROFLMAO:

Stranded Shipscook

No worries, as I suspected you were referring to a specific group, you wasn't clear in your initial post hence my questioning.

Bottom line is, we should all be responsible for our own actions when visiting BoI (or any other Govt/official department). Take your gf if you wish by all means, just dont rely on her to do business. Now we are in agreement :ROFLMAO:

Always were, its common sense. People which know what to do at the BI know what to do anyhow. :thats-funny:

KennyF

And that is why I posted the update to my post. I saw that you were grandfathered in!

But you still state in the post that you use others and there are lots of them, implying that they all charge P400. So there was the main crux of my skepticism (doubt). I never stated that I knew you did not get it done for P400!

Oh, I see. Fair enough. Just a mix up.

Well, I assumed that if Swagman charged me 400 then that was the standard charge.

Maybe a member in AC could confirm whether 400 is normal.

Anyway.....

I still say that for me, paying someone else to do it beats whatever method comes second.

Anyone living in Cebu who can't afford to front with $10-$20-$30 must be living hand to mouth.

KonGC

Englishman_on_Tour

Always were, its common sense. People which know what to do at the BI know what to do anyhow. :thats-funny:

Sometimes things get lost in translation. I'm not the only one who misunderstood you here :ROFLMAO:

A_Simple_Man

. . . Once I had a girl drop me off on her motorbike, and she picked me up two hours later on it when I was done. There's just no reason for them to be in there.

It occurs to me that so many of your posts have revolved around shagging girls so it does not surprise me that you believe there is no reason for them to be there. There is nowhere to shag one.

I wonder if there would be a reason to bring a male friend? It occurs to me that I have not seen you mention any male friends in any of your posts.

It is really not a big deal as I have been to BI with female friends, male friends, by myself, even on many occasions had an agent do it for me. How many times? Over 20 renewals for sure plus the occasional ECC. Sometimes 2 heads are better than one and a friend, male or female, may bring up a point that you have missed. It may even save you money. Try it sometime.

easy44

It occurs to me that so many of your posts have revolved around shagging girls so it does not surprise me that you believe there is no reason for them to be there. There is nowhere to shag one.

I wonder if there would be a reason to bring a male friend? It occurs to me that I have not seen you mention any male friends in any of your posts.

It is really not a big deal as I have been to BI with female friends, male friends, by myself, even on many occasions had an agent do it for me. How many times? Over 20 renewals for sure plus the occasional ECC. Sometimes 2 heads are better than one and a friend, male or female, may bring up a point that you have missed. It may even save you money. Try it sometime.

I don't know how anyone could save you money at Immigration since the fees are already set, unless you are talking about negotiating a bribe? That might help for a 13A visa but nobody gonna ask for money to get a tourist extension. BTW, I usually have one of the BOI employees pick up, process and deliver my passport to my house so I rarely have to go there except for an ECC which requires fingerprints (bring your own tissue and alcohol to clean up after). When I do go I will bring my gf for company and someone to talk to while I wait. I really can't see the big brouhaha udonthani has raised over nothing. On the other hand, yes I do understand, it's what he does!

A_Simple_Man

I don't know how anyone could save you money at Immigration since the fees are already set, unless you are talking about negotiating a bribe?

As pointed out numerous times on this forum, your mileage may vary. Frequently 2 people will do the same thing with different results. If a friend points out a legal loophole to you and you take advantage of it, then you are a smart fellow. If you don't listen then would never know.

For the record, I do not know of any legal loopholes I care to share at this moment but, in past instances I have found my statement to be true as I have 'been there and done that' and saved the money to prove it.

easy44

As pointed out numerous times on this forum, your mileage may vary. Frequently 2 people will do the same thing with different results. If a friend points out a legal loophole to you and you take advantage of it, then you are a smart fellow. If you don't listen then would never know.

For the record, I do not know of any legal loopholes I care to share at this moment but, in past instances I have found my statement to be true as I have 'been there and done that' and saved the money to prove it.

Secret!

Stranded Shipscook

Sometimes things get lost in translation. I'm not the only one who misunderstood you here :ROFLMAO:

I know, but i was often asked to cut my posts shorter. I tried, but its not possible. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Well, when one writes something, in this forum he has to explain it until the last person (not you) has understood it in the way one means it.

Then there are the ones, which out of principal attack others or specific peoples posts.

Then there are the bitter and envying ones, which can't take it, that some people have better experience.

Then there are people which just want to tell their stories.

Then there are people which just want to tell other people stories.

Then there are people which don't like Germans (although i am a Scot, LOL, just pulling people a leg )

Then there are people which can not read.

Then there are people which can not think.

Then there are trolls.

and so on...:ROFLMAO: