what not to do at the BI

Davaoeno

There's a sucker born every minute

i would have used a much different word !!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• EAGLE

• Stranded Shipscook

• Englishman_on_Tour

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be at least 1 loud whinging yob every time in the office when i go for an extension. When they sit down next to me and tell me what's wrong with the BI.

The first time I extended my Visa I googled BI to find out where it was - they had the dress code listed - I shared with my then Fiancee and we appeared with long pants, tennis shoes, Collared shirt o

Posted Images

Yep. Amen

I have given advice on "how to" with manners and respect BUT they go away and listen to some prat "know it all mouth" who advises a "short-cut" by under the table, as the Chinese say, payment (bribe)

Then SHIT happens and the cry...

I knew the dress code when I went to extend mine. I had no plans to go inside, so I sent my gf in and shot the breeze the guard. 30 minutes later on my way, no muss, no fuss no hassle..

Yep. Amen

I have given advice on "how to" with manners and respect BUT they go away and listen to some prat "know it all mouth" who advises a "short-cut" by under the table, as the Chinese say, payment (bribe)

Then SHIT happens and they cry... :shitstormretarded: Baby....

Edited by EAGLE
Stranded Shipscook

My strategy ,when at BI,is go to the assistant boss....hand him a piece of paper w/numbers on it(get it?).Then tell him I will be back tommorrow for my passport,please do not lose it.I was always thanked profusely.Then for some reason the guy decided to ABUSE ME w/my 13A temporary visa.it took over two years to get it and it was expired when I got it.I have NO RESPECT for them anymore and I will not even walk in the office anymore.My partner goes in and I wait somewhere nearby in case I am needed.I paid an outrageous amount of money for my temporary 13A visa and the guy just flat-out refused to give it to me.He now knows I hate his feckin guts and so does his boss,and I do not give a good feck who else in that office doesn't like me.Call me an arrogant American,think I give a feck?

I have seen guys on these forums complain about the P5K they had to pay extra and that looks paltry compared to what I paid.I know other guys on the island I live on who paid twice what I paid and I do not feel lucky as at least they didn't wait 2 1/2 yrs. after they paid,to get the damm thing.

When I went for the interview the head IDIOT asked me a VERY STOOPID question and I answered with a very stoopid response.a very uncomfortable exchange ensued and I ended up laughing in the guys face!!!"Do I look funny to you?",was the moronic response.I said to the head IDIOT,"I did not say that".I never apologized and did not back down from my original answer,which may very well have been a well deserved insult.I was treated badly and have NO RESPECT for anyone who treats me thusly.

No one is trying to sneak into the RP,most are trying to get out.If I had to do it again?I would have continued with the bribery and went to HK when the time came and my days as a tourist needed to be re-upped.A 13A visa is a worthless POS anyway.

RESPECT IS EARNED,not given.Common courtesy and human decency is a given.Many people confuse the two.

This certainly is not OFF TOPIC and a VALUABLE Addition to the OP on the list of what not to do at the BI. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Bob Ward
View Postudonthani, on 20 August 2011 - 04:26 AM, said:

what you mean is there are a lot of old codgers in the Philippines that need a care worker to look after them whenever they go anywhere, and don't mind paying for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's guys who've been living in the Philippines for years, and have never not once been in a tricycle by themselves. At least that Aussie guy could see what a total schmuck he had been when he first arrived, and was glad that he no longer needed a Siamese (or in this case pinay) twin.

There are many reasons to bring your SO with you. Perhaps he enjoys her company. It may surprise you that many expats want more than sex from their girl. Try to imagine that. Should he tell her, "You wait in the hot car or the rain because I'm too embarrassed to be seen in public with you?" You may also be surprised that with higher gas prices, people often try to do more on a trip than just go to one place to do one thing. Hey, I need to go to the BI so why don't you come along and when I'm done we'll go to SM and get some lunch and go to a movie.

Anyway, there's no rule about bringing someone to the BI so you'll have to live with it.

First udon, we don't need you to tell us what we mean. Second, piss off for having the disrespect for older people who are just trying to enjoy their remaining years. You will be there one day too, If you live that long?

Last, as skyman said, there are many reasons to bring the SO with you. Not all of us are whoring around. Not that I'm knocking you for it mind you. Let's see, right off the top of my head there is a) newbie :shitstormretarded: they just like being together c) some guys are brainwashed by the family that they should never be alone d) they make a day of it every other month and hit the mall for shopping and a bite e) they live in the province and would certainly come in together f) they are applying for a 13a and she must be present, I will stop now!

Maybe you should stop being so critical of others who do things differently from you!

udonthani

Unusual outburst from Bob, it looks like the garotte is getting tighter.

Stranded Shipscook

I posted that a long time ago. Now of course everyone is different, but i generally advise NOT to bring along wife or G/f. (Unless one is sure, she is a good and taff one who can deal with the authorities appropriately)

Reason is simple:

Most Filipinos brought up to be submissive and obedient to authorities and accept any "suggestions" made by authorities. Plus being shy and the "faceloss" and all that.

"Negotioations" are most likely made in the local lingo, which complicates the matter, because she has to translate..

Depending on the reactions of previous negative experiences with the beloved one, the Filippina will most likely lie in the matter of money asked under the table in order not to raise a scandal. She will say, that the official fee, although she paid a fat bribe.

The immigration is very aware of the foreigners unwillingness and persistence when asked to pay money, they have had numerous problems with Embassies and Consulates because of this. If the "fees" have been paid by the female counterpart, it is hard to prove afterwards, that the bribe has not been "offered". It is even hard to prove that there ever was one.

The official in the BI are human and generally quite experienced. They can (sometimes falsely of course, but seldom) judge a "book" by its cover. So appearance is number one ! Next is the (wrong) logical assumption that a grown up person which can not handle this uncomplicated Immigration formalities by himself, is sort of easy to victimize. Plus the former fact that the woman are "victimisable" in their eyes. Exemption: The "taff" ones, but the officers can see which ones are those too.

(Personal anecdote : That was the only advantage of my psychopathic ex wife, if things got difficult, she dealt with it. Alone btw.- I was outside smoking a ciggy and felt pity for the Commissioner, made some friends that way, because the Immigration guys felt pity for me living with her...its a guy's thing :shitstormretarded:)

There are a few other reasons, but above is mainly why i generally do not advise to take the partner along. Also one learns a lot in the process of doing things himself.

A_Simple_Man

I posted that a long time ago. Now of course everyone is different, but i generally advise NOT to bring along wife or G/f. (Unless one is sure, she is a good and taff one who can deal with the authorities appropriately)

Reason is simple:

Most Filipinos brought up to be submissive and obedient to authorities and accept any "suggestions" made by authorities. Plus being shy and the "faceloss" and all that.

"Negotioations" are most likely made in the local lingo, which complicates the matter, because she has to translate..

Depending on the reactions of previous negative experiences with the beloved one, the Filippina will most likely lie in the matter of money asked under the table in order not to raise a scandal. She will say, that the official fee, although she paid a fat bribe.

The immigration is very aware of the foreigners unwillingness and persistence when asked to pay money, they have had numerous problems with Embassies and Consulates because of this. If the "fees" have been paid by the female counterpart, it is hard to prove afterwards, that the bribe has not been "offered". It is even hard to prove that there ever was one.

The official in the BI are human and generally quite experienced. They can (sometimes falsely of course, but seldom) judge a "book" by its cover. So appearance is number one ! Next is the (wrong) logical assumption that a grown up person which can not handle this uncomplicated Immigration formalities by himself, is sort of easy to victimize. Plus the former fact that the woman are "victimisable" in their eyes. Exemption: The "taff" ones, but the officers can see which ones are those too.

(Personal anecdote : That was the only advantage of my psychopathic ex wife, if things got difficult, she dealt with it. Alone btw.- I was outside smoking a ciggy and felt pity for the Commissioner, made some friends that way, because the Immigration guys felt pity for me living with her...its a guy's thing :thats-funny:)

There are a few other reasons, but above is mainly why i generally do not advise to take the partner along. Also one learns a lot in the process of doing things himself.

In English, 'bringing your partner along' and 'getting your partner to speak for you' are two different things. You have raised absolutely NO valid points to convince me not to bring my partner along. Perhaps you could learn from reading Skyman's earlier post, which was right on the money, or perhaps you want to rephrase your advice.

And to all the guys in shorts, you may be happy to know that I was in long pants, renewing at Tacloban BI, where 3 other westerners in shorts and sandals were laughing at ME for listening to the BS advice here. They were happily renewing their tourist visas in Leyte with no dress code issues. Like anything else in the Philippines, the 'rules' are only followed when the head guy feels like being officious that day. Respect? I think the phrase I prefer is 'kiss ass' as in, to do business at the Cebu BI you need to 'kiss ass' or they will send you home.

Mandingo

First udon, we don't need you to tell us what we mean. Second, piss off for having the disrespect for older people who are just trying to enjoy their remaining years. You will be there one day too, If you live that long?

Last, as skyman said, there are many reasons to bring the SO with you. Not all of us are whoring around. Not that I'm knocking you for it mind you. Let's see, right off the top of my head there is a) newbie :thats-funny: they just like being together c) some guys are brainwashed by the family that they should never be alone d) they make a day of it every other month and hit the mall for shopping and a bite e) they live in the province and would certainly come in together f) they are applying for a 13a and she must be present, I will stop now!

Maybe you should stop being so critical of others who do things differently from you!

You hit the nail on the head on this.

Stranded Shipscook

In English, 'bringing your partner along' and 'getting your partner to speak for you' are two different things. You have raised absolutely NO valid points to convince me not to bring my partner along. Perhaps you could learn from reading Skyman's earlier post, which was right on the money, or perhaps you want to rephrase your advice.

And to all the guys in shorts, you may be happy to know that I was in long pants, renewing at Tacloban BI, where 3 other westerners in shorts and sandals were laughing at ME for listening to the BS advice here. They were happily renewing their tourist visas in Leyte with no dress code issues. Like anything else in the Philippines, the 'rules' are only followed when the head guy feels like being officious that day. Respect? I think the phrase I prefer is 'kiss ass' as in, to do business at the Cebu BI you need to 'kiss ass' or they will send you home.

Perhaps you rephrase your own advise, see OP for details :thats-funny:

and i read skymans posts, the problem is, he don't get what he wants. So where is the advise ?

Edited by Guenther
A_Simple_Man

Perhaps you rephrase your own advise, see OP for details :thats-funny:

and i read skymans posts, the problem is, he don't get what he wants. So where is the advise ?

Perhaps I don't get your humor, but advice means telling people what to do as in

i generally do not advise to take the partner along.

Whereas my post and others are not giving advice, but simply telling of our own experiences because the members of this forum are generally old enough to make their own decisions without being told what to do.So rephrasing my advice is a non issue. I didn't give any. I just made a post for the members who like to read of other people's opinions and experiences.
Stranded Shipscook

Perhaps I don't get your humor, but advice means telling people what to do as in

Whereas my post and others are not giving advice, but simply telling of our own experiences because the members of this forum are generally old enough to make their own decisions without being told what to do.So rephrasing my advice is a non issue. I didn't give any. I just made a post for the members who like to read of other people's opinions and experiences.

So do I. :thats-funny:

udonthani

You hit the nail on the head on this.

trouble is, 90% of the guys in the BoI offices you see with girls aren't there because they're from the provinces and they're seizing the opportunity to buy a tub of decent mayonnaise while they get the chance. They're not there because they're helplessly in love and can't possibly be seperated for even a couple of hours. They're in there because the girl, the family, wants to maintain control and never let the cash cow out of their sight, or else the guy is such an old fool or such a newbie he can't do anything by himself.

that Aussie guy I mention was the perfect example. DIA, she met him at the airport, shagged him, took him to the BoI office when he realized he needed an extension, he bought a beachside house in her name some months later, two years later he wakes up and realises he was a bit of an idiot for jumping in so fast and that she has got far too many cards.

trouble is, 90% of the guys in the BoI offices you see with girls aren't there because they're from the provinces and they're seizing the opportunity to buy a tub of decent mayonnaise while they get the chance. They're not there because they're helplessly in love and can't possibly be seperated for even a couple of hours. They're in there because the girl, the family, wants to maintain control and never let the cash cow out of their sight, or else the guy is such an old fool or such a newbie he can't do anything by himself.

that Aussie guy I mention was the perfect example. DIA, she met him at the airport, shagged him, took him to the BoI office when he realized he needed an extension, he bought a beachside house in her name some months later, two years later he wakes up and realises he was a bit of an idiot for jumping in so fast and that she has got far too many cards.

I am sure happy my life experiences are not the same as yours. How to to end up a bitter & twisted old man?.....Start as a bitter & twisted young one :thats-funny: