what not to do at the BI

I caught a Brit guy taking out his annoyance at being asked to pay 3,000 when he was flying out of the country in three days. He didn't see why he had to pay that much for such a little time. He'd already started raising his voice to that woman who sits to the left as you walk in. I got in there and defused the situation and said he had no choice and he had to pay up, and he couldn't rely on paying his way out at the airport, like he'd have been able to do in Bangkok.

guys shouldn't bring the girls to the BoI, except maybe their first time, there's no reason at all for them to be there, it makes them look like they can't go to the toilet by themselves and also causes crowding, though at least in Mandaue it's quite spacious and there's seats outside too. In a lot of BoI offices in the Philippines, there isn't enough room for just those that want to extend, never mind the women as well.

IMO the guys who bring along their G/F or Fiance or WIFE may feel the need for a native speaker to be with them.

Not an uncommon thing in any Foreign Country for a Foreigner to feel more secure with a local in tow.?

I have met a number of Foreigners in The East who had very poor English.

Just my :D worth

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• EAGLE

• Stranded Shipscook

• Englishman_on_Tour

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be at least 1 loud whinging yob every time in the office when i go for an extension. When they sit down next to me and tell me what's wrong with the BI.

The first time I extended my Visa I googled BI to find out where it was - they had the dress code listed - I shared with my then Fiancee and we appeared with long pants, tennis shoes, Collared shirt o

Posted Images

My strategy ,when at BI,is go to the assistant boss....hand him a piece of paper w/numbers on it(get it?).Then tell him I will be back tommorrow for my passport,please do not lose it.I was always thanked profusely.Then for some reason the guy decided to ABUSE ME w/my 13A temporary visa.it took over two years to get it and it was expired when I got it.I have NO RESPECT for them anymore and I will not even walk in the office anymore.My partner goes in and I wait somewhere nearby in case I am needed.I paid an outrageous amount of money for my temporary 13A visa and the guy just flat-out refused to give it to me.He now knows I hate his feckin guts and so does his boss,and I do not give a good feck who else in that office doesn't like me.Call me an arrogant American,think I give a feck?

I have seen guys on these forums complain about the P5K they had to pay extra and that looks paltry compared to what I paid.I know other guys on the island I live on who paid twice what I paid and I do not feel lucky as at least they didn't wait 2 1/2 yrs. after they paid,to get the damm thing.

When I went for the interview the head IDIOT asked me a VERY STOOPID question and I answered with a very stoopid response.a very uncomfortable exchange ensued and I ended up laughing in the guys face!!!"Do I look funny to you?",was the moronic response.I said to the head IDIOT,"I did not say that".I never apologized and did not back down from my original answer,which may very well have been a well deserved insult.I was treated badly and have NO RESPECT for anyone who treats me thusly.

No one is trying to sneak into the RP,most are trying to get out.If I had to do it again?I would have continued with the bribery and went to HK when the time came and my days as a tourist needed to be re-upped.A 13A visa is a worthless POS anyway.

RESPECT IS EARNED,not given.Common courtesy and human decency is a given.Many people confuse the two.

tom_shor

My strategy ,when at BI,is go to the assistant boss....hand him a piece of paper w/numbers on it(get it?).Then tell him I will be back tommorrow for my passport,please do not lose it.I was always thanked profusely.Then for some reason the guy decided to ABUSE ME w/my 13A temporary visa.it took over two years to get it and it was expired when I got it.I have NO RESPECT for them anymore and I will not even walk in the office anymore.My partner goes in and I wait somewhere nearby in case I am needed.I paid an outrageous amount of money for my temporary 13A visa and the guy just flat-out refused to give it to me.He now knows I hate his feckin guts and so does his boss,and I do not give a good feck who else in that office doesn't like me.Call me an arrogant American,think I give a feck?

I have seen guys on these forums complain about the P5K they had to pay extra and that looks paltry compared to what I paid.I know other guys on the island I live on who paid twice what I paid and I do not feel lucky as at least they didn't wait 2 1/2 yrs. after they paid,to get the damm thing.

When I went for the interview the head IDIOT asked me a VERY STOOPID question and I answered with a very stoopid response.a very uncomfortable exchange ensued and I ended up laughing in the guys face!!!"Do I look funny to you?",was the moronic response.I said to the head IDIOT,"I did not say that".I never apologized and did not back down from my original answer,which may very well have been a well deserved insult.I was treated badly and have NO RESPECT for anyone who treats me thusly.

No one is trying to sneak into the RP,most are trying to get out.If I had to do it again?I would have continued with the bribery and went to HK when the time came and my days as a tourist needed to be re-upped.A 13A visa is a worthless POS anyway.

RESPECT IS EARNED,not given.Common courtesy and human decency is a given.Many people confuse the two.

Then it shouldn't be a surprise to you why it took so long. Even if your response to the guy was justified you can bet he will never see it that way.

Yes indeede....

Tom

Edited by EAGLE

no no no,YOU DO NOT GET IT!!! I PAID THE REQUESTED FEE,THEN WAITED 2 1/2 YRS.(ACTUALLY A LITTLE LONGER) TO BE INTERVIEWED.OK?I ALWAYS PAID A HEFTY BRIBE TO THEM WHEN RENEWING MY TOURIST VISA.I WOULD RETURN THE NEXT DAY AND BE THANKED PROFUSELY.THEN FOR SOME REASON,I THINK THEY THOUGHT I WAS JUST GOING TO LET THEM ROB ME,I REALLY DO NOT KNOW.I ALWAYS WAS WELL DRESSED.I NEVER SPOKE OUT LOUD WHEN IN THE OFFICE(I WOULD WHISPER IN MY PARTNERS EAR!).I was quite respectful.Than they gave me a reason to hate their feckin guts,and I DO!!! I find the head idiot to be a calculating scumbag who looks at every foreigner that walks in his office as a turkey he is going to pluck.That kind of shit doesn't fly w/me.Especially when american tax-payer dollars is being given to this country,MASSIVE FOREIGN AID.and filipino's who go to my country get treated well,get jobs THEY NEED.and I am targeted by a BI official?feck that SCUMBAG IN HIS MOUTH,ASS and EARS.....I paid the "FEE" before the interview,2 1/2 yrs. before.He is lucky I didn't throw his dumb-ass out a feckin window.A little reciprosity would be appreciated.MIND YOU,I didn't ask for a handout,I PAID the requested "fee".

Then it shouldn't be a surprise to you why it took so long. Even if your response to the guy was justified you can bet he will never see it that way.

udonthani

IMO the guys who bring along their G/F or Fiance or WIFE may feel the need for a native speaker to be with them.

Not an uncommon thing in any Foreign Country for a Foreigner to feel more secure with a local in tow.?

I have met a number of Foreigners in The East who had very poor English.

Just my :D worth

maybe, as I said, the first time, though I certainly didn't need to bring anybody with me the first time I extended. It was, after all, something I'd done in several other countries other than the Philippines before. The Philippines isn't the only country in the world where you have to go to an office and get an extension if you stay there a while. Try getting one in Egypt, and you'll find that compared to that, the Philippines is a total piece of piss.

Even a non-native English speaker shouldn't have any problem with what is a very straightforward procedure, and a very simple form to fill in. I've had girls meet me outside the office when I'd finished several times, so we could go on somewhere afterwards, but there's very little point in wasting her time as well as yours and have her wait in the office with you.

in 2007 I got chatting to this Aussie guy in the CDO BoI, it was obvious he was a newbie and as I talked to him, it transpired that yes, this was his first extension. His girlfriend was there with him.

last year, by a total fluke, I was visiting a pinay friend in a baringay 25km outside of CDO who told me that a kano had recently moved in just a few meters away from their place. We went round to the house, and it turned out to be him. He'd been in the Philippines for nearly all of the intervening period. I asked him if he still needed his girlfriend to hold his hand whenever he went to the BoI office. He laughed as he remembered what a shmuck he was back then, and said no, of course not.

maybe, as I said, the first time, though I certainly didn't need to bring anybody with me the first time I extended. It was, after all, something I'd done in several other countries other than the Philippines before. The Philippines isn't the only country in the world where you have to go to an office and get an extension if you stay there a while. Try getting one in Egypt, and you'll find that compared to that, the Philippines is a total piece of piss.

Even a non-native English speaker shouldn't have any problem with what is a very straightforward procedure, and a very simple form to fill in. I've had girls meet me outside the office when I'd finished several times, so we could go on somewhere afterwards, but there's very little point in wasting her time as well as yours and have her wait in the office with you.

in 2007 I got chatting to this Aussie guy in the CDO BoI, it was obvious he was a newbie and as I talked to him, it transpired that yes, this was his first extension. His girlfriend was there with him.

last year, by a total fluke, I was visiting a pinay friend in a baringay 25km outside of CDO who told me that a kano had recently moved in just a few meters away from their place. We went round to the house, and it turned out to be him. He'd been in the Philippines for nearly all of the intervening period. I asked him if he still needed his girlfriend to hold his hand whenever he went to the BoI office. He laughed as he remembered what a shmuck he was back then, and said no, of course not.

Well not mine - actually.

Fellow travellers ? we may well be? but under differing guises.

Then some guys are NOT able to cope with the "stress" of officialdom and a kind local/GF in attendance is a comfort and is a support.

An aside - I was able to get an Annual "multiple entry" Visa in Singers for mainland China because of my Chinese G/F Dr.;

Officially not available except in "Country of issued Passport" or some such Tosh...

BUT some souls are NOT as Worldly as you. Have PITY on lesser mortals.??

YOUNG "Lada" Man...udonthani,

Tom

Edited by EAGLE
udonthani

what you mean is there are a lot of old codgers in the Philippines that need a care worker to look after them whenever they go anywhere, and don't mind paying for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's guys who've been living in the Philippines for years, and have never not once been in a tricycle by themselves. At least that Aussie guy could see what a total schmuck he had been when he first arrived, and was glad that he no longer needed a Siamese (or in this case pinay) twin.

lazydays

Imagine if he would get "black listed" for his tirade and told to leave and never come back to the country.

They should have stamped his Passport in large letters "UNDESIRABLE ALIEN" and marched the arrogant A*shole to the Airport.

Edited by lazydays
lazydays

:D

BossHog

sigh. it's just a bit of paperwork.

if heading to the immigration office in biz-casual wear and conducting one's affairs in a straight-forward manner is such a formidable task for some, then availing of a professional service may be a good idea,

i've wanted to clobber some of those noisy louts myself, but figure they'll get their comeuppance somehow.

i've gone through a few complicated immigration processes both in mandaue and intramuros and have found them to be helpful, efficient, and exceedingly polite.

SkyMan

what you mean is there are a lot of old codgers in the Philippines that need a care worker to look after them whenever they go anywhere, and don't mind paying for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's guys who've been living in the Philippines for years, and have never not once been in a tricycle by themselves. At least that Aussie guy could see what a total schmuck he had been when he first arrived, and was glad that he no longer needed a Siamese (or in this case pinay) twin.

There are many reasons to bring your SO with you. Perhaps he enjoys her company. It may surprise you that many expats want more than sex from their girl. Try to imagine that. Should he tell her, "You wait in the hot car or the rain because I'm too embarrassed to be seen in public with you?" You may also be surprised that with higher gas prices, people often try to do more on a trip than just go to one place to do one thing. Hey, I need to go to the BI so why don't you come along and when I'm done we'll go to SM and get some lunch and go to a movie.

Anyway, there's no rule about bringing someone to the BI so you'll have to live with it.

"what you mean " What who means. ???? :shitstormretarded::goodnight:

Bob Ward

The sooner you, and others, understand the correct way to get things done here, the better off you will all be. You caused you own headache by starting the bribe thing right off the bat. Not to mention, if you paid bribes, why would you need to come back the next day? The whole process done legally takes 30 minutes to an hour depending on the crowd.

From the day of my interview for the 13a it took 3 weeks to come back from Manila. You put yourself in deep kaka by paying any bribes at all. Don't blame them!

For Real

[/quotE]

There's a sucker born every minute