what not to do at the BI

tobster

At the BI yesterday, while sitting there waiting to process my 13a visa, I was watching a steady stream of expats turn up at the office dressed in their singlets, shorts and slippers(while their gf is well dressed mind you)

The guard politely points at the sign explaining the dress code. They were suitably shocked and appalled by this turn of events but got the message and sent their gf inside.

One guy turns up, gets told you not going inside and then starts insulting the guard (who is armed with a shotgun). Guard takes the verbal onslaught with a smile, goes into the office and returns with the manager.

The guy starts at the manager who directs him into his office.

Five minutes later an angry manager and now belittled guy reappear. The manager now yells at the guy to go and apoligise to the guard.

Then throws the guys passport at him.

I guess he will have to come back another day for his visa extension.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• EAGLE

• Stranded Shipscook

• Englishman_on_Tour

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be at least 1 loud whinging yob every time in the office when i go for an extension. When they sit down next to me and tell me what's wrong with the BI.

The first time I extended my Visa I googled BI to find out where it was - they had the dress code listed - I shared with my then Fiancee and we appeared with long pants, tennis shoes, Collared shirt o

Posted Images

Awesome Color

What else not to do when visiting the BI:

Before leaving the house, do not wash your hair with your wife's sister's "Palmolive Naturals Healthy and Smooth Intensive Moisture" shampoo - not only will you be giddy for having the best hair day of your life, but by the time you get there you'll have also have developed a lisp. You'll be feeling a strong uncontrollable urge to want to dance to techno music. Not only will you realize that you shouldn't have worn cargo shorts, but you'll also realize that they are not anywhere near tight enough. Odd looks and scowls abound at the BI. Trust me.

:shocked:

For Real

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to be at least 1 loud whinging yob every time in the office when i go for an extension. When they sit down next to me and tell me what's wrong with the BI...and how it should be run I just smile and say "Your new here aren't you"

Silence follows

This is how i get the peace & quiet so i can keep reading my book

• Like 1
MarinePride

Imagine if he would get "black listed" for his tirade and told to leave and never come back to the country.

Unfortunately BI usually does not ban guys for just being assholes.

I really don't get why these guys don't get it, they are there to ask for something, the only people who can give it to them are the very people they are being rude to.

YOU DO THE MATH!!!

The first time I extended my Visa I googled BI to find out where it was - they had the dress code listed - I shared with my then Fiancee and we appeared with long pants, tennis shoes, Collared shirt or at least T-Shirt - no bare arm pits.

Would notice some - not most - but some waiting in line wearing shorts, flip flops - dressed for the beach - wondered why but got on with my business

Said Please, Thank You, Have a Great Day etc. Workers smiled at us and wished us a good day when we left.

Learned long ago you can do things the Wrong Way, the Right Way or whatever Gov't Office Way - the latter is always the best

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

Good story, happens all the time, every day.

There is always at least one numbnut in the Immi Office. Now i wonder where the Filipinos got the patient from to deal with this...

I am not sure (Udonthani may share) if this would happen in Thailand, or Singapore, or Malaysia. i only saw nice foreigners there, or at least they behaved nice that day.

I would not mess around with the Immigration there.

Good story, happens all the time, every day.

There is always at least one numbnut in the Immi Office. Now i wonder where the Filipinos got the patient from to deal with this...

I am not sure (Udonthani may share) if this would happen in Thailand, or Singapore, or Malaysia. i only saw nice foreigners there, or at least they behaved nice that day.

I would not mess around with the Immigration there.

IME the S'Pore office would not take such low-life abuse. He would be, at the very least, refused a Visa extension AND his PassPort stamped accordingly.

"NumbNut" Correct . Guenther

IME the S'Pore office would not take such low-life abuse. He would be, at the very least, refused a Visa extension AND his PassPort stamped accordingly.

"NumbNut" Correct . Guenther

Same in Malaysia. They WILL keep you sitting around until it suits them. Assholes wait the longest.

Headshot

Unfortunately BI usually does not ban guys for just being assholes.

And THAT is really too bad. Chances are if the guy is an asshole in Immigration, he is an asshole in every other facet of his life as well. No matter how much money he is spending here, the Philippines...and the remaining expats...would be better off without that type of person around. They give everyone a bad name.

SkyMan

I'll freely admit to finding the BI's 'dress code' laughable. How can one of the most corrupt gov't orgs in the PI demand respect? And I'll also admit to having gone there in shorts (or were they shorts? What's the diff? My knees were covered. Maybe they were the pants my dear departed much shorter brother bequeathed me asking me to please wear them the rest of my life?) and (were they slippers or sandals? What's the diff?) No slippers but I bet if if wore some big fluffy pink bedroom slippers it would be ok. How about some real specifications here? "We don't want to see any skin below your belt," would be a real specification but then sandals wouldn't be ok then. Do we need the fashion police there to determine if your sandals are slippers or not? WTFO?

Anyway, admitting the above, if the guard had called me on it I would have pointed out I had worn the same previously and if that didn't work I'd have pleaded I was only there to pick up my ACRI card and would be out in a jiffy or whatever and if that didn't work I'd have left. I certainly would not have berated the guard for doing his job even if the previous guard had not whether I agree with what his job is or not. So I think the title of numb nuts fits. I wonder if he's a member? Perhaps that would then be a banning for me for having called him numb nuts? Speak up!

Edited by SkyMan

I'll freely admit to finding the BI's 'dress code' laughable. How can one of the most corrupt gov't orgs in the PI demand respect? And I'll also admit to having gone there in shorts (or were they shorts? What's the diff? My knees were covered. Maybe they were the pants my dear departed much shorter brother bequeathed me asking me to please wear them the rest of my life?) and (were they slippers or sandals? What's the diff?) No slippers but I bet if if wore some big fluffy pink bedroom slippers it would be ok. How about some real specifications here? "We don't want to see any skin below your belt," would be a real specification but then sandals wouldn't be ok then. Do we need the fashion police there to determine if your sandals are slippers or not? WTFO?

Anyway, admitting the above, if the guard had called me on it I would have pointed out I had worn the same previously and if that didn't work I'd have pleaded I was only there to pick up my ACRI card and would be out in a jiffy or whatever and if that didn't work I'd have left. I certainly would not have berated the guard for doing his job even if the previous guard had not whether I agree with what his job is or not. So I think the title of numb nuts fits. I wonder if he's a member? Perhaps that would then be a banning for me for having called him numb nuts? Speak up!

The only thing I can think to say about your total disrespect for regulations in the philippines is...If you were still a resident in the states and a foreigner thumbed his nose at American regulations what would you say.....???? don't answer... I think most people know the answer.....it's rhetorical.............

Mandingo

The only thing I can think to say about your total disrespect for regulations in the philippines is...If you were still a resident in the states and a foreigner thumbed his nose at American regulations what would you say.....???? don't answer... I think most people know the answer.....it's rhetorical.............

Exactly. Rules are rules and, at least I think, you need to show a little respect to your hosting country being a guest of such.

The Manager should have tossed this guy out on his ass and threw passport out the door after him.

ancienrocka

I'm probably there more than most and it's an hourly occurrence.

Every staff member I have met at the BoI has been polite and courteous to those who show the same level of respect - even to those people who don't understand the rules.

The employees of the BoI take so much sh.. from so called educated westerners that it embarrasses me every day. I want to tell them to go home, but know it would only inflame the situation.

The Philippines is not perfect but if you think where you came from is any better, then go back home!

udonthani

I caught a Brit guy taking out his annoyance at being asked to pay 3,000 when he was flying out of the country in three days. He didn't see why he had to pay that much for such a little time. He'd already started raising his voice to that woman who sits to the left as you walk in. I got in there and defused the situation and said he had no choice and he had to pay up, and he couldn't rely on paying his way out at the airport, like he'd have been able to do in Bangkok.

guys shouldn't bring the girls to the BoI, except maybe their first time, there's no reason at all for them to be there, it makes them look like they can't go to the toilet by themselves and also causes crowding, though at least in Mandaue it's quite spacious and there's seats outside too. In a lot of BoI offices in the Philippines, there isn't enough room for just those that want to extend, never mind the women as well.

Edited by udonthani