Fruit Salad

RogerDat

RogerDat

Greetings! This is my fruit salad recipe I use for our church gatherings for about the last 6 years. It feeds 50 to 160 persons depending on attendance. They count heads, do a quick calculation that all Filipinos seam to know by heart when dealing with fruit salad, and arrive at the proper portion size.

It makes about 19 liters. The drained fruit syrup can be used for vinegar or wine making.

Today Fruit Cocktail 5 gallons

chunk pineapple 6 liters ( do not open 2 until the last as the fruit cocktail varies as to amount in each can)

condensed sweet milk 6 cans (use cows milk type only, no coco oil please or it wont set)

Nestle cream 18 box's

nut a deco-co 1 red, green,white

Start by draining all fruit for about 10 minuets, especially the nut a deco-co.

Put Neatly cream in the five gallon pot first, then condensed sweet milk, and mix thoroughly.

After fruit has drained, add by can fulls to pot of cream and milk.

Stir after each can is poured in to mix well with cream.

By the time you get the last gallon in, it is hard to mix, but must be thoroughly mixed to get cream on all the fruit.

Refrigerate over night. I keep it in a cooler with ice to transport it and keep it cool till desert time.

Headshot

Today Fruit Cocktail 5 gallons

chunk pineapple 6 liters ( do not open 2 until the last as the fruit cocktail varies as to amount in each can)

condensed sweet milk 6 cans (use cows milk type only, no coco oil please or it wont set)

Nestle cream 18 box's

nut a deco-co 1 red, green,white

That would make a huge amount of fruit salad. We make it in smaller quantities, and ours is just a bit different than yours. We use tropical fruit salad (which already has pineapple in it), green nata de coco, red kaong, Carnation brand condensed milk, and whipping cream. Mix the fruit salad, nata de coco and kaong in a large bowl. Then blend the condensed milk and whipping cream in a blender (at low speed) until it is just starting to stiffen. Pour the milk/cream mixture over the fruit mixture and fold in until well mixed.

A less traditional fruit salad uses the same fruits, but substitutes a 10g package of yellow unsweetened gulaman, 1/2 cup of Splenda or 1 cup of sugar (your choice) and 1 liter of water for the milk/cream mixture. Pour the water into a pan and heat. While it is coming up to temperature, pour in the gulaman powder and splenda (or sugar) and stir until it comes to a boil. turn it off as soon as it begins to boil. Allow to cool for about ten minutes. Put the fruit mixture into a retangular pyrex cake pan (oe jello mold) and pour the liquid in over the fruit (ensuring a good distribution of fruit in the mixture). Then, put it in the refrigerator to cool and set up. Yes, this is like a jello salad, but gulaman is made from seaweed, rather than animal products. If you want, you can top with whipped cream just before serving.

Edited by Headshot
RogerDat

Greetings! Thanks for the proper PI spelling. I got no one to ask here for PI spelling. Every time I ask a question I get a variety of ansewers, most are not related to the question, so they didn't understand.One of my neighbors who I had been talking to for several years was suspected of poisoning my dog. When ask if he did it, replied in his usual manor with a bright smile and happy Yes Sir, I did! I had someone ask the question in his peculiar dialect if he did it, and his face fell and he shook his head quickly NO! All these years, he didn't understand anything we had talked about!

ANYWAY, the reason I put additional pineapple in my salad is once when ALL my cans of fruit cocktail were under filled, I added the pineapple. That's when I noticed that the acid in it caused the milk/cream to thicken, so have always since used it in addition to what's in the fruit cocktail.

David Spicer

My wife makes this quite often, except on a much smaller scale, with coconut, and Alaska cream instead of Nestles.