Sign in to follow this  
Dhel

Buwan ng Wika

Wombat No More

From distant memory, Spanish comprises or influences about 20% of Tagalog.

And 'Buwang ng Wika' is on Google as I found out a few days ago when I helped a young fella look it up for his school project... So saying, look it up and put another piece of Filipino knowledge on file.

It's really quite amazing that the Spanish didn't completely stomp out all of the native languages here and replace them with Spanish. That was what they did in Latin America. Therefore, I guess the Filipinos can at least celebrate that their languages survived the Spanish. It is interesting to note that Zamboanga (in the heart of Muslim territory) is the only place where Spanish is still spoken commonly.

That said, television has done more to make Tagalog the national language than any law ever did. Filipinos can't watch (understand) TV here unless they understand Tagalog. That would mean no variety shows and no soap operas...oh the horror (for most Filipinos). Personally, that is a reason for me to NEVER learn Tagalog.

Dhel
Filipino is the official name but it's Tagolog. Nobody will tell you they speak Filipino. The name Filipino is designed to state to the rest of the world that there is only one Filipino language as if spoken by the whole country and to con citizens into believing they aren't true Pinoy if the don't speak it. False advertising.
Okay guys, the official language of the Philippines is Filipino. Sound confusing why not Tagalog when it sounded like one. Well, Filipino language acknowledge and embrace the existence of and preference for many English- and Spanish-derived words. "Western" letters such as f, j, c, x and z — sounds of which were not indigenous to the islands before the arrival of the Spaniards and the Americans — were included in the official Filipino alphabet. As you can see, the pure Tagalog language if I am not mistaken doesn't have this letters in it.Tagalog is a regional dialect of the which is spoken by people in Manila and its nearby provinces.

Citizens of the Philippines uses different Vernacular, and in hope of having one common language which people will be able to communicate well, Filipino was made is the National language and not Tagalog because of objections raised by representatives from other parts of the country where Tagalog was not spoken. It merely stated that a national language acceptable to the entire populace (and ideally incorporating elements from the diverse languages spoken throughout the islands) would be a future goal. Hence Filipino came about as the National language.

Dhel

Indeed, but of course the TV is in Tagolog at the insistence of the gov't as a further method of pushing it on the rest of the population. Actually there is a fairly large population of Spanish speakers (though not exclusively Spanish) in the NCR. The land I bought, for example, was owned by Spanish speaking former San Miguel execs. One of them is my prime evidence that Tagolog and Cebuano are indeed different languages and not just dialects of the same language. During about 3 years of his time with San Mig he had been assigned to SM Mandaue and when asked about his ability to speak Cebuano he said he can kind of understand it but doesn't try to speak it for fear of embarrassment.

Tagalog, Cebuano, Waray, Hiligaynon, and so on and so forth are all regional dialect or vernaculars of people from a certain povince. The language of the Philippines is Filipino...derived but not totally Tagalog. Filipino embraces the the existence of and preferences of both western and Spanish words.

I think out of respect for the OP we need to stay on topic team as this was never a debate about how we foreigners like tagalog. Just my opinion

Its also ok to have more insight on the topic but hmmm.....guyz, share what Filipino words you usually use :)

SkyMan

Tagalog, Cebuano, Waray, Hiligaynon, and so on and so forth are all regional dialect or vernaculars of people from a certain povince. The language of the Philippines is Filipino...derived but not totally Tagalog. Filipino embraces the the existence of and preferences of both western and Spanish words.

Its also ok to have more insight on the topic but hmmm.....guyz, share what Filipino words you usually use :twocents:

First, you may think Filipino is not Tagolog but but the Cebuanos I've talked to disagree including my Cebuano teacher.

I also think part of the problem is that there is a misunderstanding difference in the terms dialect and language. To me, different dialect and different language mean different things. Someone from Frankfurt, Berlin, or Munchen would speak all very differently (different dialects) to each other but they all speak German. Just the word for I for example (Guenther?) Someone from Munchen would say Ich while someone from Berlin (not a Berliner) would say Ik and someone from Frankfurt (not a Franfurter) would say Ish. But it's still the same language. I would not say that Paul speaks Southern, just that Paul didn't get past 4th grade speaks with a southern accent or dialect of American English American English.

I do not belive Cebuano (Bisayan) and Tagolog are dialects as I noted in a previous post. They are different languages Like French, Spanish, and German. Those languages are grammatilcally similar and share words as all languages do, but they are not dialects.

Edited by SkyMan

lazydays

Mambobola (Bolero) = Flatterer, Sweet talker, Flirt.

tom_shor

It's really quite amazing that the Spanish didn't completely stomp out all of the native languages here and replace them with Spanish. That was what they did in Latin America. Therefore, I guess the Filipinos can at least celebrate that their languages survived the Spanish. It is interesting to note that Zamboanga (in the heart of Muslim territory) is the only place where Spanish is still spoken commonly.

That said, television has done more to make Tagalog the national language than any law ever did. Filipinos can't watch (understand) TV here unless they understand Tagalog. That would mean no variety shows and no soap operas...oh the horror (for most Filipinos). Personally, that is a reason for me to NEVER learn Tagalog.

Actually they didn't completly stomp them out in the Americas either. There are a number of areas (Mostly Rural) where native languages are in the majority.

Had the Spanish established more schools around the Philippines they might have done more. Also fairly large areas of the Philippines remained mostly unsubdued by the Spanish. Particularly Mindanao and Northern Luzon.

Dhel

First, you may think Filipino is not Tagolog but but the Cebuanos I've talked to disagree including my Cebuano teacher.

I also think part of the problem is that there is a misunderstanding difference in the terms dialect and language. To me, different dialect and different language mean different things. Someone from Frankfurt, Berlin, or Munchen would speak all very differently (different dialects) to each other but they all speak German. Just the word for I for example (Guenther?) Someone from Munchen would say Ich while someone from Berlin (not a Berliner) would say Ik and someone from Frankfurt (not a Franfurter) would say Ish. But it's still the same language. I would not say that Paul speaks Southern, just that Paul didn't get past 4th grade speaks with a southern accent or dialect of American English American English.

I do not belive Cebuano (Bisayan) and Tagolog are dialects as I noted in a previous post. They are different languages Like French, Spanish, and German. Those languages are grammatilcally similar and share words as all languages do, but they are not dialects.

Filipino is the national Language of the Philippines DERIVED from the tagalog however the differeence is that it already embraces the preferences of English and Spanish words in it plus some additional alphabet which is not found in Tagalog Alphabet. I am not sure why your Cebuano teachers disagree to this, but may we know the reason why they disagree to such?

As to LANGUAGE AND DIALECT....honestly, this had been a complex issue on the distinction between LANGUAGE AND DIALECT...some says Language is a dialect and / or vice versa. So to be specific I QUOTE there REGIONAL DIALECT / VERNACULAR ... And just for further information, you really have to go through the vernaculars and see that even how much differences there are in in every regional dialect, there are still words being used from one region to another which meant the same...I SAY SOME WORDS BUT NOT ALL....this is the reason why a NATIONAL LANGUAGE of the Philippines was developed, for Filippino people to hae one common language upon which we can communicate and be understood. FILIPINO then is our National Language and not Tagalog since Tagalog is a regional dialect/ vernacular of Manila and its nearby provinces. Cebuano is a regional dialect for those in Cebu ( correction also is the connotations you have with Bisaya...Bisaya are people from the Visayas..and people from the Visayan region speaks different vernaculars just like Cebuano, Waray-waray,Hiligaynon, Butuanon..etc. etc. ) there may be different words used but there are also few words used that mean the same so I say, vernaculars are still having connections to other vernacular and to our national language for a few. I dont have to go through a lot of details but if you really wanna study how different and the same few spoken words per vernacular that we have, I tell you you will surely find words that are used the same from one vernacular to another.

Just like a specific example, I am a Waray and I can in someway understand what cebuanos are talking about and even some of the Regional dialect used in Mindanao. We may not know all but surely we still can pick up few words used by other Vernaculars that we can understand since it is also used and / or spoken in our vernacular. Oh and by the way, the distinction between language and dialect is subjective which means it is based on the user's frame of reference..hence if you may observe it was so stated that FILIPINO is a NATIONAL LANGUAGE for the Filipino people because of the existence of this different vernacular in the whole country.

Edited by Dhel