Ok guys, as you read the topic title you may had wondered what the whole thing is all about. Just to let you know, maybe this may be important or not so important to everyone in here but still I would like to include you as the country observes the whole month of August as “Buwan ng Wikang Pambansa” in grateful celebration of having a common language that unites the whole nation.

I am just thinking that it may be a lively discussion to share each of your 1 centavo coin filipino word anyone feel like sharing. Please don't forget to write the translation in English..thanks everyone!

Topper
:scratch_head: Okay, I give up. What does Buwan ng Wikang Pambansa mean. I really don't know.
SkyMan

And so when does the Philippines plan on

having a common language that unites the whole nation.

?!?

Or are you talking about English?

:scratch_head: Okay, I give up. What does Buwan ng Wikang Pambansa mean. I really don't know.

Just a guess but maybe it means "having a common language that unites the whole nation"

Just a guess but maybe it means "having a common language that unites the whole nation"

Its our national language month celebration here in the Philippines...we celebrate it every month of August :scratch_head: - sorry I should have placed the translation. my bad!

I know that the celebration is mostly for the Filipino but just thinking if and when you all maybe interested this might be interactive and educational as well...just my opinion.

Edited by Dhel

Honoring Our National Language that is Tagalog..We celebrate it on the month of August.There are programs in schools and goverment offices.

SkyMan

Honoring Our National Language that is Tagalog..We celebrate it on the month of August.There are programs in schools and goverment offices.

I suppose Tagalog speakers celebrate it. I kind of find it depressing Luzon would try to force their language on the majority of the population in an effort squash the other languages. If they are successful much of the Philippines history, culture, charm, and uniqueness would be lost. I fail to see the desire to celebrate that.

I should point out that had the Sapnnish not moved the capitol to Manila I would hope Cebu wouldn't try to force Visayan on the rest of the country either but we'll never know that.

Well I am not a Filipino so I will not judge what the celebrate and if they want to celebrate the tagalog language then I will just celebrate with them. My favorite word is:

Maganda - Beautiful

The OP said to ad our favorite tagalog word with the translation.

Have a great day!

Ray

I suppose Tagalog speakers celebrate it. I kind of find it depressing Luzon would try to force their language on the majority of the population in an effort squash the other languages. If they are successful much of the Philippines history, culture, charm, and uniqueness would be lost. I fail to see the desire to celebrate that.

I should point out that had the Sapnnish not moved the capitol to Manila I would hope Cebu wouldn't try to force Visayan on the rest of the country either but we'll never know that.

That's the way it is...Personally I find it hard to speak tagalog when it is needed. I've prepare to use English in some cases.

Headshot

It's really quite amazing that the Spanish didn't completely stomp out all of the native languages here and replace them with Spanish. That was what they did in Latin America. Therefore, I guess the Filipinos can at least celebrate that their languages survived the Spanish. It is interesting to note that Zamboanga (in the heart of Muslim territory) is the only place where Spanish is still spoken commonly.

That said, television has done more to make Tagalog the national language than any law ever did. Filipinos can't watch (understand) TV here unless they understand Tagalog. That would mean no variety shows and no soap operas...oh the horror (for most Filipinos). Personally, that is a reason for me to NEVER learn Tagalog.

Edited by Headshot

I think out of respect for the OP we need to stay on topic team as this was never a debate about how we foreigners like tagalog. Just my opinion

Ozepete

Anything that boosts national pride has to be a good thing.

Maybe a national "Make The Philippines Beautiful' campaign with a focus on cleaning up rubbish and other pollutants, could be next. (Like they are doing in some of the Cebu provinces now)

Cheers

Tagalag has not been the official Philippino language of the Philippines for many years.

Filipino is the official Philippine based language and English is the other official language, as adopted in (1987??) and signed into law.

Filipino is based almost entirely on Tagalag but uses several more letters (5 total, I think) and incorporates some foreign words (tho most have been adapted to Tagalag) into the body of the language..

SkyMan

It's really quite amazing that the Spanish didn't completely stomp out all of the native languages here and replace them with Spanish. That was what they did in Latin America. Therefore, I guess the Filipinos can at least celebrate that their languages survived the Spanish. It is interesting to note that Zamboanga (in the heart of Muslim territory) is the only place where Spanish is still spoken commonly.

That said, television has done more to make Tagalog the national language than any law ever did. Filipinos can't watch (understand) TV here unless they understand Tagalog. That would mean no variety shows and no soap operas...oh the horror (for most Filipinos). Personally, that is a reason for me to NEVER learn Tagalog.

Indeed, but of course the TV is in Tagolog at the insistence of the gov't as a further method of pushing it on the rest of the population. Actually there is a fairly large population of Spanish speakers (though not exclusively Spanish) in the NCR. The land I bought, for example, was owned by Spanish speaking former San Miguel execs. One of them is my prime evidence that Tagolog and Cebuano are indeed different languages and not just dialects of the same language. During about 3 years of his time with San Mig he had been assigned to SM Mandaue and when asked about his ability to speak Cebuano he said he can kind of understand it but doesn't try to speak it for fear of embarrassment.

SkyMan

Tagalag has not been the official Philippino language of the Philippines for many years.

Filipino is the official Philippine based language and English is the other official language, as adopted in (1987??) and signed into law.

Filipino is based almost entirely on Tagalag but uses several more letters (5 total, I think) and incorporates some foreign words (tho most have been adapted to Tagalag) into the body of the language..

Filipino is the official name but it's Tagolog. Nobody will tell you they speak Filipino. The name Filipino is designed to state to the rest of the world that there is only one Filipino language as if spoken by the whole country and to con citizens into believing they aren't true Pinoy if the don't speak it. False advertising.