Pickled sausage

RogerDat

RogerDat

Greetings! I got hungry for some pickled sausage like in the bars back in SC. I have PLUMROSE cocktail sausages I get in Gasainos, but they don't have the "bite" like back home.

I had a big jar of Western Family sweet pickles,(packed in INDIA, but taste like US), so when the pickles were almost gone, I still had all of the juice left.

I drained the can sausages, and put them in overnight. They lost the fat texture and became firm and much better than before. I will try injecting Tabasco sauce in the next batch with a # 10 syringe and see if I can get a decent Carolina bar sausage. They also have baloney cut up in chunks at the local market, and maybe longanisa would work also.

Anyone have any other suggestions for pickled sausage's?

mikejwoodnz

" Anyone have any other suggestions for pickled sausage's? " shit_stirrer.gif

• 2 months later...
RogerDat

Greetings! i just tested my third batch of pickled baloney. That's what they call the sausage like stuff in

the local market, taste strange like most local preserved meat to me, looks like a German sausage, except it's red, but when pickled for 3 days,

it's really good. :ROFLMAO:

I put star anise, white vinegar, Korean wine, Tabasco hot sauce, sugar, and water, heat it up, and pour it over the skinned and sliced baloney, Next, I will try making pumpkin pie next Saturday with my nice. IF it works, I will post local version recipe. IF it works!

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that's a load of pickled baloney

enjoy!

Stranded Shipscook

Interesting cuisine you got in South Carolina. And i thought Germans already covered all atrocities in sausage recipes. Well, one never stops learning.

PS- What German sausage you were referring in your post ? i can recall there are about 1500 different kinds.

Edited by CATMAN
  • 1 month later...

Ingredients

• 4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 4 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 10 drops red food coloring (optional)
  • 10 links smoked beef sausage

Directions

• In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, vinegar, and red food coloring. Bring to a boil. Cut the sausage links into halves or thirds, depending on size, and place into a large sterile jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, secure the lid, and let stand for 2 days before serving.