Pumpkin Soup

RogerDat

RogerDat

Greetings! Pumpkin soup.

I cook mine in pressure cooker, and use a Braun Turbo 400 (stick blender) to blend it, but a boiler, and food processor, or potato masher or whatever you got to puree it will do.

¼ K carrots ¾ K white potatoes

¼ K onion ½ K calvasa

2 Knorr chicken cubes 1TBS black pepper corns

2 TBS canola oil ½ TBS Soya sauce

½ TSP salt ½ TSP garlic granules

6 0r 8 cloves garlic cut up water to cover

2 TBS peanut butter

Prep all vegetables, cut carrots into ½” slices, cut all other into 1” chunks,

Put oil in bottom, add vegetables, spices, peanut butter, add water to cover, and boil till mushy tender, cool as required to blend, and puree to a smooth texture, add additional spices to taste, top with heavy cream, or butter.

Being diabetic, I get 6 to 8 SML, and 1 1/2 cups, and two packs Rebisco crackers for supper, and test at 95 or so in morning, so it is a good light supper.

KennyF

Ermmmm, why is it called pumpkin soup????

KonGC

RogerDat

Pumpkin soup because that is the predominant look and taste, and we don't got no proper pumpkin, so i use calvasa.

Also that's what the local Moon Cafe I ripped it off from calls it. Mine is similar to theirs, they use more potato I think, and is smoother than mine because they use heavy cream.

it took three diffrent trips to get it as it was always out of stock when I went there, so I improvised ( much like the local ISO 9000 logo)

AND I forgot to say to use the tan, or ripe calvasa, not the green, as green causes LBM in some people.

KennyF

we don't got no proper pumpkin

RP has great pumpkins.

Just check out your local market.

Cheap too A whole one is maybe 40 or 50 pesos.

They will display cut wedges but ask for a whole one, they have them in the hundreds.

KonGC

Pumpkin soup because that is the predominant look and taste, and we don't got no proper pumpkin, so i use calvasa.

Also that's what the local Moon Cafe I ripped it off from calls it. Mine is similar to theirs, they use more potato I think, and is smoother than mine because they use heavy cream.

it took three diffrent trips to get it as it was always out of stock when I went there, so I improvised ( much like the local ISO 9000 logo)

AND I forgot to say to use the tan, or ripe calvasa, not the green, as green causes LBM in some people.

Hmmmm...I wish to taste that pumpkin soup:)Great recipe!

RogerDat

Greetings! Pumpkins and squash are the same botanical it is stated. The variety most Americans my age call pumpkin will / does not grow in PI. The item they got in the local market is called calabaza or calabash.

It is what I used. I don't think the jack o lantern type would work in this soup.

The Koreans call it Habakkuk, a Korean porridge made with pumpkins or squashes. they are the ones who ate all Moons had, so I could not get any when I went. They make a different version, look up Habakkuk if you want that type. I guess it depends on your taste.

My warning about green Calbaza causing LBM in some was widely known to early American settlers as stated in the following.

The Ancient New England standing dish

But the Housewives manner is to slice them when ripe, and cut them into dice, and so fill a pot with them of two or three Gallons, and stew them upon a gentle fire a whole day, and as they sink, they fill again with fresh Pompions, not putting any liquor to them; and when it is stew'd enough, it will look like bak'd Apples; this they Dish, putting Butter to it, and a little Vinegar, (with some Spice, as Ginger, &c.) which makes it tart like an Apple, and so serve it up to be eaten with Fish or Flesh: It provokes Urin extreamly and is very windy.

- John Josselyn, New-Englands Rarities Discovered, 1672

What would we do without Google?

KennyF

This is the one I buy at the market.

post-4822-0-43595200-1313478549_thumb.jpg

You can add chick peas and various beans too.

Thanks for the recipes by the way.

KonGC

mahogany

The variety most Americans my age call pumpkin will / does not grow in PI. The item they got in the local market is called calabaza or calabash.

The binisaya for squash is kalabasa :D

TheMatrix

Thanks for the recipe! I love pumpkin soup and make a big pot of it every month. Here's my famous recipe below. Absolutely Delicious! I slo-cook it in the crockpot.

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 squash, skinned and chopped into 1-inch chunks (kalabasa)

2 1/4 cups water

2 cups coconut milk (made fresh)

1 tablespoon hot sweet Thai chili sauce

1 tablespoon lemon grass, finely chopped (or calamansi peel)

1 tablespoon fish sauce

freshly ground pepper

optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro

In a large pot, heat oil and gently cook onion with brown sugar and garlic over low heat until softened (8-10 minutes).

Add chopped squash, water, coconut cream, chili, lemongrass or rind and fish sauce.

Season with freshly ground pepper.

Simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.

Remove and puree until smooth.

Just before serving, adjust seasoning to taste.

Mix in chopped coriander.

Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy the best pumpkin soup ever!

ellenbrook2001

Wow very nice very rich but you did forget a pinch of nutmeg too give that special aroma

anywhere congratulations you must be an expert cook

Thanks for the recipe! I love pumpkin soup and make a big pot of it every month. Here's my famous recipe below. Absolutely Delicious! I slow-cook it in the crock pot.

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 squash, skinned and chopped into 1-inch chunks (kalabasa)

2 1/4 cups water

2 cups coconut milk (made fresh)

1 tablespoon hot sweet Thai chili sauce

1 tablespoon lemon grass, finely chopped (or calamansi peel)

1 tablespoon fish sauce

freshly ground pepper

optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro

In a large pot, heat oil and gently cook onion with brown sugar and garlic over low heat until softened (8-10 minutes).

Add chopped squash, water, coconut cream, chili, lemongrass or rind and fish sauce.

Season with freshly ground pepper.

Simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.

Remove and puree until smooth.

Just before serving, adjust seasoning to taste.

Mix in chopped coriander.

Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy the best pumpkin soup ever!

TheMatrix

Wow very nice very rich but you did forget a pinch of nutmeg too give that special aroma

Ahh... that's brilliant. Will add nutmeg for that special touch! Perfect!

Yes, the coconut milk base gives it a lovely ultra-creamy texture to die for... :D

Ozepete

I love pumpkin soup too, and pumpkin scones, but it worries me that pigs don't like them.

What do they know? scratch_head.gif

Cheers..

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I love pumpkin soup too, and pumpkin scones, but it worries me that pigs don't like them.

What do they know? scratch_head.gif

Cheers..

pigs don't eat scones they eat donuts

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
RogerDat

Greetings! I re read your post about nutmeg in the soup. I originally thought you said Cinnamon, so that is what I tried.

If the pumpkin soup is the cat, then the cinnamon is the cats meow!

• 3 months later...

simple and best pumpkin soup recipe...

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 16 oz can of pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 cups soy milk
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the margarine for 3-5 minutes, until onion turns clear. Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Cook over medium heat for another 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!