Just desserts

RogerDat

RogerDat

Greetings! I have two more recipes, one desert, the other is pumpkin soup.

The two take less than an hour to make.

First, the desert. It is an outgrowth of my fruit salad that I take for our church gatherings.

1 can 300 ml sweetened condensed milk. (use whole milk, not coco oil filled please)

3, 250 ml Nestlé cream.

1 567 G can pineapple chunk, pureed.

1 or 2 whole yellow lemons juiced.

Drain pineapple, Put cream in container first, then add condensed milk, and lemon juice, mix well.

Add pineapple and mix again.

Put in covered container in refrigerator till well chilled, or over night.

Can also be put in the little plastic cups with lids for portion control same as for fruit salad.

Pumpkin soup is next!

Sounds an interesting desert:) I will try :)I'm learning to cook that is different from our native dish!

Athena

Thank you for the dessert recipe ……… I will definitely give it a try this week as were expecting visitors mid week. Its our turn to host the Auld Alliance French delegation. And your recipe sounds interesting and unusual!!!

Looking forward to your version of pumpkin soup.

RogerDat

Greetings! Please note, you must use full cow's milk products as the coco oil ones will not "set" and it will be runny.

I think the acid in the pineapple and lemon cause the milk fat to thicken, and it becomes like soft ice cream and will hold it's shape.

If you add cream cheese, it could be used to top cherry pie filling to make cherry cheese pie like my Mom used to make.

Put Graham cracker crumbs and butter to make crust, fill with fruit filling, and top with the cream filling, and refrigerate for 4 hours. it should slice and hold firm nicely.

I noted the firmness of the cream left in the bucket of fruit salad I take for church functions, reminded me of the

pie topping my mom made, that's what inspired it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roger

Sorry, for being slow in posting some feedback. Yes, I did try it but my first attempt wasn’t so good. Not a complete disaster but it did not set! It was rather runny or the top half did not solidify.

I don’t know what I had done wrong. I follow your recipe to the letter except 2x things. One, I used 2x lemons, thinking it would set better but what I did not reckon was it becomes a bit sour once you added the pineapple. I also use breadcrumbs or rather bisquit digestive as a base as you suggested. However, the frogs like the desert – I did not let on that I made a cock up! laugh.png

BTW the pumpkin soup was a big hit but I combine your recipe and Steve recipe in terms of adding coconut milk. They all want second helpings ………

• Admin (Retired)
broden

did you use fresh or canned pineapple?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that was probably your problem

not that the recipe uses gelatin .. but it was probably a similar thing.. in fresh pineapple kiwi papaya and probably some other tropical fruits there is an enzyme that will stop gelatin from gelling .. canned pineapple however since it is heat treated is ok

next time try it with canned and see if there is a difference